Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba S3305 Servo

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 06:06 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba S3305 Servo

OK, I need help.[sm=confused.gif] I am building a H-9 Extra330S. (1/3) Specifications call for a min. of 80ounce inch torque servos. I have some Futaba S3305 servos in the shop. Specis are 99 @ 4.8v & 124 @ 6v. I allways run twin 6v on giants. QUESTION I have been told these servos are not for aircraft use. I have checked Futabas' site and Tower Hobbies site and they do not specify use.[sm=drowning.gif] anybody out there know anything about these servos, any and all input will be appreciated.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:10 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Futaba S3305 Servo

Wayne,
Who told you they werent for aircraft use? did they give you details? Towers description right on their site lists this as an aircraft servo:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDWF8&P=7

but they do warn it is intended for NiCD use only. I'm not sure if they mean to rule out alkalines (likely -- the current draw with this much servo would kill alkalines pretty darn quick -- remember, car guys still like to use alkalines, so this is likely the intended exclusion) or NiMH/Lithium. Perhaps you'd like to ask Bax or the Futaba team to clarify.

Old 10-17-2003, 08:33 AM
H. Wayne S

Amcross, Tower catalog has an application chart, Airplanes is not checked as an application for these servos, That is where the friend got his info and showed it to me a few moments ago.
Like I stated, these are going into a large plane and I do not want to loose it just to save $570.00. BUT $570.00 is a lot of money in my book, and these servos look like they are superior to some of the high dollar ones and will do the job.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:35 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure I'd use these servos in a GS Aerobat. They seem to be standard 3-pole metal geared servos on steroids (Hitecs 600 series is similar). I concur with Ann Marie on the current draw issue. Any of the current battery technoligies used for GS aircraft will be fine.

These models require a precision, hi-torque servo with speed for best results, IMO. Large surfaces, control surface speed, engine power and intended use all play factors in servo choice. FLUTTER can be an issue on this and any model. Spend the money NOW for better servos, you'll be glad you did.

What dooes H9 recommend for servos? I'd consider this the minimum.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:45 AM
H. Wayne S

Manf. Rec. On there "test" they used JRPS8411 digitals: Torque- 155/speed- .18
Futaba 3305 Torque is 124 /speed.20 . Specifications list Servos, 8 ea. minimum of 80 ounce inch. SO, WHAT"S THE PROBLEM WITH THE FUTABA?
My experance with digitals (JRs') have not been good, the darn things flutter on the ground,all you have to do to stop them is touch them but it still scares the hell out of me what they will do in the air.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:05 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the basic problem I have is there an inexpensive sport servo, analog driven 3-pole motored servo. SPORT means small less demanding aircraft. These will not offer comparable precision and holding power of an analog coreless or digital coreless servo.

I suppose they will work. Will they work as well as needed? Will they hold up? Will they allow the large surfaces to flutter? I don't know. Using an inappropriate servo may void any warranty obligation of the servo and or ARF manufacturer.

The hi-power precision servos are simply much better for this type of application.

All digital servos bzzzzz a little, NOT to worry. I have been using Hitecs digital, programmable HS-5945's on 40% models for a few years now and am completely satisfied with their performance and durability. These can be had for $75.00 each if you look around.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:34 PM
H. Wayne S

Mglavin, I ask for advice and By golly I'm goint to take it. Thanks I will go the extra $$ and get the Hitecs or Futaba digitals. Going to Servo City site NOW !