Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Memory

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 01:58 PM
wings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Memory

I am aware of the memory that batteries can get. My question is, will it hurt the batteries if I just leave the transmitter and receiver on for a couple days and let it run down by itself. I don't have a cycler.

Aslo, I was thinking about the possibility of hooking small motor to it from one of my old Aerobirds (minus the prop) and run it down that way.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Wings,
Old 10-20-2003, 02:38 PM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Memory

The danger of memory is not as great as most people worry about. I flew RC for 4 years before I got a cycler. Believe me, you can just charge the batteries with the charger that came with them, it works just fine.

I would not leave the radio on for several days. That's really bad.

Tom
Old 10-20-2003, 04:43 PM
wings

Let me ask you this. Say I charge it over night to full capacity. I tinker with it for a bit at home getting the engine tuned, getting it tracking straight etc. Then I decide not to fly that day. Will it hurt to plug it back in even if you are only less than half way to the danger zone or recharge zone?

If this don't make sense let me know I will try to rephrase it.

Thanks,

Wings,
Old 10-20-2003, 05:44 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Makes perfect sense, and you are absolutely fine --in fact you are ideal -- to re-peak it before you get ready to go fly.

With most current transmiters, you CAN leave them on until they turn themselves off, as they will shut down themselves when they reach a low enough voltage, but again it just isnt a big deal and certainly need only be done once or twice a year at max.

Happy flying!

Sincerely,
AnnMarie Cross
President
Crosswinds Equine Rescue, Inc
http://hometown.aol.com/horses5ormore/homepage.html

Old 10-20-2003, 05:51 PM
Glen Merritt

Flown R/C for 20 years, never used a cycler, never had any memory problems, never lost a plane due to battery issues, always did a 250ma load test before the first flight of the day.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:01 PM
greenboot
My Feedback: (1)

Wings,
If you use the radio just a little bit, then just recharge it a little bit. I figure it needs a full recharge after 4 flights. So if you make one flight, charge it 4 hours. Each day you let it sit counts as one flight. So if you make one flight and let it sit one day, it needs 8 hrs of charging. It's kind of an approximation, but hopefully you get the idea.

Tom
Old 10-20-2003, 08:15 PM
wings

Thanks guys.

Four flights? That dont seem like much. I bought one of those little volt meters I can plug into the receiver, I am paranoid,lol. My TX has a read out also. Maybe four flights is a little conservative. But I appreciate the feedback. Guess the old fart at the LHS is exagerating about the memory thing. lol . I do appreciate the feedback.

Wings,