Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Gyro for maintain airplanes altitude

Old 10-28-2003, 01:55 AM
nazwan78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gyro for maintain airplanes altitude

This just only my idea, and i want to share if it can be use or not.
As we know, gyro is use for maintain heli's tail from moving, or in the other meaning, its control horizontal movement. How about if I use a gyro to my airplanes, connect to elevator servo to control the airplanes altitude (vertical movement)
I know that there is some device like co-pilot can be used to control our planes, but this is just my idea & experiment, coz i have extra gyro.
Pls reply... Thanks..
Old 10-28-2003, 05:11 AM
bobbdd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gyro for maintain airplanes altitude

I have often thought about this, the thing is a gyro is a motion damper. I think, when in level flight, at a constant power level, the gyro will keep the plane at a constant alt. However,if you lower the throttle, the nose will drop, and the gyro will be trying to counter that angular momentum, as it should, but the plane now dosn't have the speed to maintain alt. The gyro is trying to keep the plane level, and probably will,but it will be droping in alt. Also something to remember is the gyro will try to keep the plane in the attitude it was in when you let go of the stick. I'v been trying to think of a problem, that it might cause, to crash the plane or make it uncontrolable. But,I do think is is worth trying, as a matter of fact I have a gyro in a small electric, and I'm going to fly it soon to see what I get.