Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Royal Evo users in the Tacoma, WA area?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 01:40 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Royal Evo users in the Tacoma, WA area?

Hey, I'm looking for someone in the area of Tacoma, WA that owns an Evo 9. I'm looking into buying one but would like to have closer look at it first.

Thanks,
Old 02-19-2011, 11:22 AM
claritywuff

Default RE: Royal Evo users in the Tacoma, WA area?

i dont own an evo but driving our cars around could be fun lol
Old 02-19-2011, 06:52 PM
dirtybird

I have a Evo 12. It took me three years to learn to program it and I used to be a software engineer.
Be sure to find someone close that can answer your questions before you buy one of those.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:15 AM
tadawson

Interesting . . . I first got Evo 9, and it took me no more than a few hours (read the manual, and read Jody D's docs) and could program stuff in minutes that used to take me days on Asian radios with their limited programming capabilities. If you just grasp the way the Evo works, it's so utterly intuitive, that I find that most things just seem obvious . . . Had HiTec not chosen to shoot Multiples in the face in the US, I don't think I'd own anything else . . . my second most favorite is my JR 10X, and they go downhill from there . . . and I now also have an Evo 12 . . .

YMMV

- Tim
Old 02-20-2011, 11:25 AM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: tadawson

Interesting . . . I first got Evo 9, and it took me no more than a few hours (read the manual, and read Jody D's docs) and could program stuff in minutes that used to take me days on Asian radios with their limited programming capabilities. If you just grasp the way the Evo works, it's so utterly intuitive, that I find that most things just seem obvious . . . Had HiTec not chosen to shoot Multiples in the face in the US, I don't think I'd own anything else . . . my second most favorite is my JR 10X, and they go downhill from there . . . and I now also have an Evo 12 . . .

YMMV

- Tim
Do you read German? I found places where they did not translate from German in the manual.
Jody's tutorial is great. All 1200 pages of it, complete with flow charts and interesting matrices. But Jody's tutorial is heavily slated toward gliders.
An Asian transmitter is preset( Preprogrammed) toward what most fliers want. As such it is not a flexible as a radio like the Multiplex. If you want to do something different you have to figure a way around the preprogramming. Fliers that want to do that are in the minority in the USA. That is why the Multiplex did not sell well here. If it had a better manual it would have helped.
I have heard others say its intuitive. It sure doesn't match my intuition.

I still say if you plan to buy one of those you had better have some one around that knows how to program it.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:04 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

The Multiplex Royal Evo is desperately easy to program!
Old 02-21-2011, 02:06 PM
the-jessman

Just an FYI, but this thread is from 7.5 years ago, by a user who hasn't logged in for 1.5 years.

Now that being said. I have a Evo 9 and I found it very easy to program once I was able to understand the Multiplex way of doing things.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:47 PM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: the-jessman

Just an FYI, but this thread is from 7.5 years ago, by a user who hasn't logged in for 1.5 years.

Maybe he is still trying to program that Multiplex
Old 02-22-2011, 12:11 PM
the-jessman

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

Maybe he is still trying to program that Multiplex
Zing!

I see what you did there.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:41 PM
tadawson

Nope, and never had to . . . despite the english not being terribly great, there has been *ZERO* German in my manuals . . .

And Jody's docs are fantastic. I *NEVER* look for "Here's how to setup a XXX" type of docs, but rather stuff that lets me understand the radio, and that way I can program pretty much anything. If you are looking for step by step procedures, then your are likely going to be far less satisfied that I was.

For me, once I understood outputs <-mixers <- input assignments, then pretty much anything became easy . . .

And yeah, I missed the antiquity of the original thread . . . . D'Oh!

- Tim

YMMV

- Tim
Do you read German? I found places where they did not translate from German in the manual.
Jody's tutorial is great. All 1200 pages of it, complete with flow charts and interesting matrices. But Jody's tutorial is heavily slated toward gliders.
An Asian transmitter is preset( Preprogrammed) toward what most fliers want. As such it is not a flexible as a radio like the Multiplex. If you want to do something different you have to figure a way around the preprogramming. Fliers that want to do that are in the minority in the USA. That is why the Multiplex did not sell well here. If it had a better manual it would have helped.

I still say if you plan to buy one of those you had better have some one around that knows how to program it.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:29 PM
dirtybird

Nope, and never had to . . . despite the english not being terribly great, there has been *ZERO* German in my manuals . . .

And Jody's docs are fantastic. I *NEVER* look for ''Here's how to setup a XXX'' type of docs, but rather stuff that lets me understand the radio, and that way I can program pretty much anything. If you are looking for step by step procedures, then your are likely going to be far less satisfied that I was.

For me, once I understood outputs <-mixers <- input assignments, then pretty much anything became easy . . .

And yeah, I missed the antiquity of the original thread . . . . D'Oh!

- Tim

YMMV

- Tim

Practically all of Jodys tutorial is step by step procedures.
When you write a manual your idea is to tell the reader how to operate your system.
If you are smart, you will know the reader will not just read the manual like a book. He will come to your manual for a specific item. You must make it easy for him to find it. Thus you need a good index.
There is no index of any kind in either the manual or Jodys tutorial. You are stuck just looking thru the items trying to remember where you might have seen it mentioned.
To make things worse you need to go in at least two and maybe three menus to do something to that radio. As you say you need to go "outputs <-mixers <- input assignments". That is three menus right there plus you will have to predefined the mixer you want to use or understand one of the supplied ones.
Once you have studied things out you probably can program it quicker than an Asian radio but that first study is a *****.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:59 PM
tadawson

I guess I have to disagree somewhat . . . When learning to drive a car, you don't go through every scenario you might encounter, read about it, and memorize what to do. You learn the controls of the car, and then you intuitively apply them to the situation at hand, and programming an Evo is really no different. Regarding the multiple menus, I just don't see that either . . . inputs are pretty much a do it once and never again - more like setting mode 1/2/3/4 than anything else. Outputs are pretty much the same way also - we all pretty much use the same channels for the same things in most cases. Regarding mixes, on an Asian radio, it's a screen for rudder, a screen for this, a screen for that . . . in that regard, the Evo is no different, especially if you use the pre-defined mixes. Where the Evo smokes anything else is the ability to create very complex mixes without arbitrary restrictions, ala the Asian school of thought . . . Heck, I spend more time on my Asian radios trying to find the right damn page to work on a mix than I do on my evo, where they are all in once place.

It took me a couple of days to get an Ultra-Stik 60 programmed into my high end JR radio and working correctly *WITH* the JR procedure. It took me about 30 minutes on my Evo, with nothing but an understanding of the radio and knowing what I wanted to do. Oh, and that was the second aircraft I ever programmed - the first was a 4 channel, and prior to that, I just read the docs . . .

What I have not done on my Evo is helicopters . . . at least in the 1.x releases, that is one of the few places I think the Evo may be a bit lacking, and which I have not yet played with much.

Once again, to each their own.

- Tim