Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

On-board glow/radio interference

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 01:38 PM
nauticom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On-board glow/radio interference

I really hope you guys can help me on this. I am hoping to get my first Warbird flying this year, after an extended build cycle on this thing.

I have a GSP Corsair, 76" WS with a Saito 170R3Radial. Major problem with interference comming from a McDanial on-board glow system.

I purchased the McDanial glow system as a plug and play system. It was all wired, ready to drop in. I had used it during the bench testing and run in of the Saito 170R3 radial. Every thing seemed ok
My radio system is a JR 652, servo's are a mix of Digital (JR 811)'s and JR 537's. Receiver is a JR 700.
With the glow system disconnected, all servo /control surfaces function normal-rock solid, no hum, chatter.
I took great pains to route my wiring and radio installation away from the McDanial electronic controller. The radio receiver is about 7'' away(behind) the glow driver box.
The dual wing servo's do have long extensions(76' WS), Y connector, etc of about 40 inchs each.
The interference/RFI is very noticeable on all control surfaces, worst on the wing-cannot fly the ship with this condition.
Is there shielding, servo line chokes etc that can solve this problem. I'm sure other people have used the McDanial glow system and have dealt with these installation /interference issues before.
I REALLY need your help guys-Over a year of work and big bucks to get to this point, only to be shot/shut down because of the RFI problem.
Thanks.
Bob Masterson
nauticom
Old 11-10-2003, 04:55 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: On-board glow/radio interference

Bob, first, lets start at your throttle. are you using a metal pushrod that comes close to your mcdaniels system? if so, that right there is very likely carrying the noise back. how about yoru throttle servo leads, are they close to the controller?

next, yes, JR uses shielded/amplified/choked leads for long leads like in your wing. Since your wing is worst, i would say these MIGHT help.

lastly, have you asked mcdaniel? it could be a cracked board or something putting out that much noise....
Old 11-13-2003, 10:41 AM
nauticom

amcross:
Thank you for your response. I will try to address your questions
First, the throttle is made up of Golden Rod.
Next. The throttle servo is located right next to the glow system controller. The throttle servo leads are thus quite close to the controller.
I have ordered some of the clamp on and ring chokes from JR as you mentioned.
Lastly, I have been in contact with the McDaniel folks, who have been very, very helpful. I am sending the glow driver system back to them-they think I may have an old unit without opto-isolation on the servo interface.

Lastly, sad to say this--Bob McDaniel, passed away last month. I had enjoyed speaking with him in the past. The people at Sonic Tronics are going out of their way to help on this problem--great feeling you know we will get this resolved--somehow.
Having been an engineer(BS, MSE) I know noise issues are not simple.
Thanks again,
Bob Masterson
nauticom
Old 12-02-2003, 02:59 PM
nauticom

An update on this noise issue with the McDanial Glow System.
Have had some more discussion with the McDanail /Sonic Tronics folks. They are still evaluating the unit I sent back to them. While I wait, I have moved the throttle servo back 6 inches away from the glow controller location. I got the JR choke kits, both the clamp-on and the ring units.
Big Question:1. where/which end of the servo lead do these things go? At the servo end or the receiver end?
2. On the ring type. Do I coil my lead around the ring, or just pass through it?
3. McDanial is looking into the use of the JR 811 Digital servo's in my configuration as possibly being more sensitive to noise.

Bob Masterson
nauticom
Old 12-04-2003, 09:03 PM
DHammer
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: On-board <span class=

Hi nauticom,
On the ring chokes you have to pass the servo lead thru and around and back thru 3 times. ( manufacturers suggestion) You also need to place the ring as close as you can to the receiver for it to work best. I have 3 planes with the ring chokes and have not had a glitch yet.
Dhammer