Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 9Z Transmiter

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 02:05 AM
bybobs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 9Z Transmiter

Can the Futaba 9Z Radio transmit in both PCM and PPM (FM) modes when using the synthesizer (9ZAS WC2). Can this synthesizer be purchased to be used with a 9CAP of (CAF) transmiter? Can the Futaba R309DPS synthesized receiver be used in the PPM (FM) mode. Is there a synthesized receiver availble that can be used in the PPM (FM) mode?????
Old 07-29-2003, 03:59 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

I can answer one of those. The 9Z Synth won't work with the 9C.

HOWEVER, the HiTec Spectra Synth WILL work with the 9C...
Old 07-29-2003, 06:14 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

9Z will work in both PPM and PCM with the synth module.

9ZAP and 9CAP do not use the same module.

The Futaba Synth RX (309) is PCM only.

I don't know of a Synth PPM receiver made by anyone, but if I had to guess, I'd say multiplex might make one, but it would be IPD which gives similar benefits to PCM which brings me to my question for you. Gonna spend a bundle on a synth RX, why save a few bucks to ditch the PCM? I have some 309 RX's... they work great.

Cheers
Old 07-29-2003, 05:14 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Please realize that it is not legal to use a non-Futaba frequency module in a Futaba transmitter:

http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/product-faq.html#q93
Old 07-29-2003, 07:03 PM
bybobs

3dFanatic, MonkeyBoy and Bax
Thaks for the info. Starting from the back. I am aware that the Spectra could be used in other transmiters. I was not aware of its illegality although I would suspect its use in other then HiTec transmiters would void any warrenty. I would agree with you Monkeyboy that the expense of the 9x warrants flying in PCM mode. However its nice to know all the availible parameters. Its like pulling teeth to gather the information. Even the manufacturers web site does not totally answer all the questions.
However from what Ive been able to peice together so far the 9Z uses a TK module. The 9C uses a TP module. The 9Z can be damaged if a TP module is used. The 9C however will work with the TK module. (actually the answer was stated as " the (9v/9Z module (TK) can be used in radios which normally use the TP without any difficulty whatsoever. ( I dont know what a 9V is and the inter change becomes some what cloudy when including a TJ car radio on 75 MHZ) I have yet to find out if a TKS module can be purchased seperately. ( Poses the possibility of synthesizeing the 9C transmitters. )
Thanks for your info.
Bob
Old 07-29-2003, 07:47 PM
locoworks

Default 9c

the futaba synth module does not fit the 9C. if you get to see one you'll notice an extra step on the back increasing its depth by around 1/4 inch almost to the ends. only the ZAP range have the socket necessary for the module and the software to use it as it has no 'dials' to change frequencies like the hitec spectrum module. what is needed is for futaba to clone the hitec unit and then futaba trannies with modules could be synthesised legally in the USA. in the UK where i am, we can mix makes with no legal consequences. but unfortunately the hitec spectrum module is not available on 35mhz. it would appear that futaba want to sell lots of crystals to people ? but if you are prepared to sell your first born to finance your tranny purchase , you can be rewarded with not having to buy crystals and modules to change frequencies. i think you need to be looking at 4 or 5 different frequencies to 'save' money, dont forget the 309 receiver is no cheapie either. the plus is, you can fly if there is a free frequency.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:33 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

the 9Z synth module is available separately. It is NOT compatible with 9C and will not work in 9C.

Respectfully, i would disagree with this statement:
"Its like pulling teeth to gather the information. Even the manufacturers web site does not totally answer all the questions. "

Please remember, though, as a former Futaba employee, I wrote about 95% of the FAQs on the site for this radio, so I'm a bit biased. But please let me try to point you to where to find what you were seeking, in hopes of helping you and others find what you need in the future.

To answer your questions, from the 9Z FAQ...:

1) will 9Z do ppm and pcm:
http://www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-q341.html

2) can i use the TJ ground module?
http://www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-6xsuper-q54.html

3) can the TKFSS module be used with other transmitters?
http://www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-9z-q180.html
http://www.futabarc.com/faq/product-faq.html#q19

4) Can TK be used in 9C? Can TP be used in 9Z?
http://www.futabarc.com/faq/product-faq.html#q19

QUESTIONS ON R309DPS and TKFSS?
http://www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-fss.html
Old 07-30-2003, 04:24 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Gotta love that woman!
Old 07-30-2003, 07:23 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

AMCross... I know you don't have anything to do with the Futaba site anymore, but I'll have to say that the Futaba site has become one of the better sites as far as researching and support. A large % of the manuals are on line, FAQ, etc. The actual site I find difficult to navigate in sometimes, but that is a minor issue subject to personal preferences. As long as the content is there I can overlook navigation issues.

I don't use Hitec equipment, but their site has manuals and such online. Seems to be well done but I don't like thier layout either (I know, I'm picky.)

With respect to radio manufactures, the site that really needs a ton of work is JR. I'm not even sure if they have an official site. Every time I try to look up info on JR products I end up getting torked since I can't find the info I need so I buy Futaba instead.