Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Got my 9CAP 1st comp radio, anything I should know?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Got my 9CAP 1st comp radio, anything I should know?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 10:23 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Got my 9CAP 1st comp radio, anything I should know?

OK Guys I am builing my 2nd plane(hopefully of many) and so I went ahead and bought a 9CAP system. Plane is a U Can do .60 with a .91FS engine. Im going with 3001 servos for everything but the rudder which will have a 9202. I have only been flying for a fairly short while but I have pretty well learned the basic aerobatic maneuvers and can land, take off deal with wind etc just fine. I pretty much want to start off with this system and plane for advancing to a normal plane with no dihedral and eventually advance into the fun stuff again. Is there anything you guys can share to help me speed up the learning curve for computer radios and how to set it up for this plane? Flying it will be no problem if I built it right, Im really just looking for some computer radio 101. Plus as you can tell Im really stoked about taking the next step and my new plane/gear.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:52 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Got my 9CAP 1st comp radio, anything I should know?

First and best thing to do is read the manual cover-to-cover. Well, at least the airplane parts.

Only suggestion I'd make with that plane is maximizing your TX's capapilities and not using a Y-harness. Get an 8-channel radio and plug your ailerons into 1 and 6 and your elevators into 2 and 8. Set-up will be a lot easier.

That's a great transmitter that will serv you well for years to come. I love mine. Be sure to look for the sythesizer coming out for it in Feb.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:56 AM
MikeEast

you said get an 8 channel "radio"? I assume you meant 8 channel receiver? If so it came with an R149DP receiver so I reckon Im good to go there? Im working nights so dont be surprised I replied so fast. Im in front of my PC all night.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:41 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Ned,
Yes, your 9C and your 9channel receiver will do just fine.

From your post, you seem to think the U can do is a quiet, sleepy, mellow "just a half step above at trainer" aircraft, unless I misread you. This is an exceptionally well behaved aircraft, but it is also capable of just about every manuever out there. There are quite literally world level pilots using this airplane as their practice plane for their 3D routines.

ENJOY your Ucando and your 9C. You've got a GREAT combination there! :-)

As far as setup on the 9C, I think the Ucando manual has some guidelines for you, and the FAQ on the Futaba site specifically written for the Hanger 9 ultrastick and similar types of models will also give you some guidance and help.

Beyond that, ask away and we'll all be happy to help you get her set up!
Old 11-17-2003, 07:37 PM
MikeEast

Thanks amcross,
Well actually the fact that the U CAN DO exhibits good characteristics across the board is what excites me so much. It flies smoothly like an LT40 if you want OR you can crank up the rates and fly the wings off of it.

I have seen it flown both ways at my club. Slow and smooth with a some loops, rolls and nice easy landing and I've seen guys absolutley burn up the sky flying 3D AND yes,,, the advanced pattern sequence.

Im a pretty fast learner and a good pilot for a newbie, thanks to great trainers, so I am hoping that this plane will allow me to transition over to a flat airfoil and full 4 channel control, and then slowly but surely ease into 3D areobatics with it. I guess from what I have been told by the guys who taught me to fly, that with the flying skills I have personally developed, it should effectivley transition me from trainer to full areobatics without having to buy a true "2nd plane". We will find out this week I guess, I expect to have it in the air on Thursday weather permitting. [8D]
Sure is a neat airplane.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:39 PM
MikeEast

Something else.

The U CAN DO manual specifies that the Ailerons be set up using a Y harness. I thought that having a 9 channel computer radio the best way to go is to plug the ailerons into seperate channels so that the mixes can be utilized properly. Any insight?
Old 11-17-2003, 08:04 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Ned, The simplest way is with a Y. you can use flaperons and go that way as well, but there is little need for flaperon action on this model, and hence the suggestion of a y harness.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:23 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Ys... Soemthing else to go wrong. You have the capability, might as well utilize it and plug each servo into its own channel.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:06 PM
smokingcrater

he simplest way is with a Y. you can use flaperons and go that way as well, but there is little need for flaperon action on this model
I've got my flaperons/spoilers on my u can do set up on the trim knob on my 6xas radio, and my index finger is almost continously on that. Some maneuevers like a harrier are much nicer with the spoilerons WAY up, and you can also drop the flaperons down 45 degrees or so and roll about 6 inches when landing. VERY nice to have!