Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Dual Receiver Q's

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 10:44 PM
hover&tork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Receiver Q's

Ok,
I know this ssubject has been looked over many times, I just got though looking through multiple page threads about it...but I have some specific questions:

1. With dual recievers, do they need to be spaced apart any certain length?
2. What about the antennas? Do they interfere with each other at all?
3. How in the world do you do the mixing with 2 recievers? I have an 8103 and a 10X for transmitters. There are (4) non Y ed aileron servos, (2) non Y ed rudder servos, (2) non Y ed elevator servos, a smoke servo, throttle servo, and a fiber optic kill switch.
4. Does anybody have a picture of their setup?

Thats all I can gather at the moment...if anybody could answer those questions it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:10 AM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

Default RE: Dual Receiver Q's

Receivers: I space my receivers on either side of the fuse. On occasion, I have placed both rxs within the same LDM strongbox.

Antennas: They need to be run in a non-parallel manner. I usually run one along the base of the fuse and the second one to the tip of the vertical stab.

Rx-1 left elevator servo, 1st rudder servo, 2-left aileron servos, throttle

Rx-2 right elevator servo, second rudder servo, 2-right aileron servos, smoke and kill switch

Hope this helps Elson
Old 11-15-2003, 08:50 AM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: hover&tork
1. With dual recievers, do they need to be spaced apart any certain length?
Yes and no. Keep them as far apart as practical, but there is no reason to over do it. I've seen them side by side, and it works. However, I try to put one on the left side of the fuselage, and the other on the right side. About 6" is adequate.

2. What about the antennas? Do they interfere with each other at all?
They should also be separated just like the receivers. Run one down the top or left side of the fuse, and the other down the bottom or right side.

3. How in the world do you do the mixing with 2 recievers? I have an 8103 and a 10X for transmitters. There are (4) non Y ed aileron servos, (2) non Y ed rudder servos, (2) non Y ed elevator
servos, a smoke servo, throttle servo, and a fiber optic kill switch.
For all practical purposes, you only have one receiver in the airplane. Ie, the rudder channel is just that, one rudder channel with two places to plug into. Anything you do in the transmitter will affect the rudder channel on both receivers the same way. Think of the rudder channel on both receivers as you would if you had one receiver with a Y on the rudder port. So, if you put two rudder servos in the airplane and plugged one into one receiver, and the other servo into the other receiver, you have done basically the same as if you plugged both servos into a Y, then plugged them into one receiver. If you need to do any special mixing, reversing, atv offsets, etc, you would need to use two channels, or a matchbox. If you use two channels to mix the two rudder servos, you need to be very careful in your mixing and setup, as there are issues that will bite you if you don't fully understand setting up trim linking, include mixes, etc. For example, if you don't have the trim linked in the mix, when you trim your rudder, you will only be trimming one servo, and not the other. Thus, you would setup binding between the two servos, a very high current drain, and possibly break the gear train causing a lockup of the rudder. All from just giving it a couple notches of trim, or adding some knife edge mixing, etc. So make sure you fully understand the mixing setups in your radio, and ask for help from another pilot that understands just to check your work.

4. Does anybody have a picture of their setup?
The following show the setup in my 40% Extra 330s. Two receivers, a power bus jumper with fuse, and a match box for each wing panel for the aileron servos. Mine is setup so that the left receiver run the right elevator, left aileron, rudder, and and ignition kill. The right receiver runs the left elevator, right aileron, throttle, smoke, and choke. The rudder servos use two channels, the ailerons use two channels with a matchbox on each channel. The elevator also uses two channels. The mixing is accomplished for the rudder and elevator in the transmitter, trims are linked, and include mixing is enabled, so no matchbox is needed. The receivers are each powered by a separate battery and switch, and a power jumper is installed between them with a fuse to add some redundancy for a power outage on either receiver. The fuse provides for handling a wiring short, which would blow and separate the two power systems from each other.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48090.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	74876   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18256.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	74877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91222.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	74878  
Old 11-16-2003, 12:35 PM
hover&tork

Wow, very helpful thank you.
I have another question...I plugged both of my elevator servos (one on each half) into the "elevator" slot on both receivers. One was going to wrong ways with the elevator inputs. I went to reverse it and I pretty much knew that the other would be reversed also...I was right and now the opposite elevator servo is operating the wrong directions. To fix this do I need to plug one of the elevator servos into an auxiliary channel and mix it?
Old 11-16-2003, 06:04 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Wow, very helpful thank you.
I have another question...I plugged both of my elevator servos (one on each half) into the !QUOT!elevator!QUOT! slot on both receivers. One was going to wrong ways with the elevator inputs. I went to reverse it and I pretty much knew that the other would be reversed also...I was right and now the opposite elevator servo is operating the wrong directions. To fix this do I need to plug one of the elevator servos into an auxiliary channel and mix it?
Exactly. You need to approach the problem as if you were running a single receiver, and it just had two connectors for each channel. You can use an external reverser on one of the receivers on the elevator channel. Or, if you have an extra channel, you can use it with the built in function, or an available mixer. The built in function is preferred, since it usually has provisions for linking the trim lever to affect both elevators, where some mixers do not. On the JR 10x, the built in function is in the Wing Type function (Code 22). I forget exactly where it is on the Futaba 9Z, but I will find out for you if you have this radio. If you don't have either of these radios, then you can look in the docs for a function most likely called Dual Elevators, so something similar.

Remember that if they are on two separate channels, it is very important that the trim lever will affect the elevators the same, and this should be tested by moving the trim lever full up and down and making sure both elevator halves track this. The mixer should also track any other mixes or rates that affect the elevator,such as knife edge mixing, dual rates, etc. Make sure you test these. This applies to all surfaces that use multiple channels, and especially any surface that uses two servos each being on a separate channel. Think what would happen if you have two servos driving the rudder, and you adjust the trim or put in a mix and only one servo responds to the trim/mix.