Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Help With New Radio Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 10:41 AM
mratomic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With New Radio Purchase

Will the Multiplex EVO 12 work with the receivers I have been using with my Futaba 8U? I refer to the -/+ shift. I will be using the same channel. Also, can anyone comment on their experience or satisfaction with Multiplex products? Your input is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:08 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Help With New Radio Purchase

Multiplex Tx will work with any PPM Rx of any brand, the USA language version of the Evo has shift select in software. PCM is specific to each brand so it will not work with any Futaba PCM Rx. I had been using Futaba and JR Tx since the mid 1970's, but since I bought Mpx about 4 years ago I would not buy any other brand of Tx now, (unless Futaba/JR were to drag themselves out of their stone-age programming and lack of modern features, then I would consider buying them again!)

Mpx makes two different 12 channel Tx. Both have 12 channel modes, 9 channel modes, the Evo has fewer channel modes as well, and the Evo selects channel modes automatically. When in 12 channel mode, their Tx compress the data in order to improve the refresh rate, an Mpx 12 channel Rx decompresses the data if it senses the Tx is in 12 channel mode, if it senses the Tx is in 9 or fewer channel mode it switches the decompression off automatically. Since you will not be using the Tx in 12 channel mode unless you are using an Mpx 12 ch Rx, the Tx will be in 9 or fewer channel mode so it will be sending normal uncompressed data which any PPM Rx will recognise.

H
Old 11-18-2003, 12:18 PM
mratomic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks HarryC. My 8U and all receivers are ordinary FM with crystals, I asume that means PPM?
Old 11-18-2003, 02:20 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Usually it does mean it is PPM. PCM uses FM radio too. When all radios were PPM AM, then FM was a new thing so Rxs were marked FM to distiguish them from AM. PCM came along instead of PPM, still using FM, but the Rx were marked PCM to distinguish them from PPM, not from FM since they are FM. The result is that Rx are FM, but the PCM data coded ones say PCM and the PPM coded ones still say FM, which is why a lot of people confuse PCM as being different to FM.