Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio Problems

Old 11-19-2003, 02:44 AM
Leuphan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Problems

I have a hitec Laser 6 readio, suprime 8 reciever, and 4 hitec hs-800 something or other servos, switch, and batteried for Tx and Rx/servos. it all came as a kit type deal.

i haven't installed the radio into my PT-40 yet, but i hooked it all up outside of the plane to get a better idea of how everything works together (how the servos themselves react to the inputs from the Tx and the like)

the problem is that it's not working anymore. a few times of "testing" and all everything seemed to work fine, but now (quite inexplicably) the servos don't react the transmitter.

when i have it all hooked up, and turn the power on, the servos twitch .... before when i would then turn on the transmitter they would twitch back to "center". but now they twitch, and just sit there. if i flick the switch on and off, the servos would end up making a full "cycle" never really coming back to nutral when i turn on the transmitter.

i thought maybe there was enough port in the reciever battery to make that "twitch" but not enough to move the servos..... so i hooked both the Tx and RX batteries to the charger and let sit for about another 9-12 hours after the initial 24 hour charging session.

i can't think of anything else that might be useful (although it's been a LONG day so the brain's not firing on all cylanders ya know?

Thanks for taking the time to even read this

Rob
Old 11-19-2003, 09:39 AM
vinnie
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Radio Problems

Rob,
You need to make sure your charger is working. If it's a wall wart you need to check transmitter and receiver voltages under load to ensure they are charged. Can you give us more to go on - charger type, do you have a voltmeter? etc.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:36 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the batteries have run down. As a side issue, you should never turn on the receiver without first turning on the transmitter. Always turn off the receiver before you turn off the transmitter when shutting down. If you do otherwise, you run the risk of running a servo into the stops and possibly damaging them. Since you are a newcommer to the hobby, you should also never run the transmitter for more than a minute or two with the transmitter antenna collapsed else you risk overheating the transmitter output stage and possibly destroying it. Check your instruction book again and recharge both transmitter and receiver. Note that you must have both turned off while charging the batteries. If you do not find an obviouse problem, check with the local hobby shop or try to find a nearby RC club where I'm sure they would be glad to help you find the problem.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:23 AM
Leuphan

thanks for the info guys .....

charger is the kind that plugs into the wall and just has wire leads coming from it to the battery and Tx (you leave the batt. in and plug the charger to the side of the Tx.)

Charger: Hitec CG-25A
Tx Batt: Hitec NiCad 600mA 8 cell
Rx Batt: Hitec NiCad 600mA 4 cell

I don't have a voltmeter, and i don't know how to test under load.

(this next part is rather embarressing so i hope you appreciate my honesty )
To be honest, the instruction book had basicly nothing in it. Seems like a beginner's kit, but didn't even have how to hook up the battery to the Rx (the switch has 3 leads from it, one can only be for the battery (as it is a female connection), yet it has 2 male leads coming from it.) And it had NO warnings about turning the Tx on THEN the Rx and vise verse for turning them off, nor did it mention anything about not running the Tx for too long with the antenna collapsed. So, i didn't know i shouldn't flick the switch on and off while i was figuring out which of the two male leads is for the Rx and thus probably distroying my servos [:@] <--- me mad at myself for not knowing). Basicly for two days i did absolutly everything Rodney said not to do. and i would have kept doing them (most likely) had things not stopped working.

thanks for your time guys, and DEF your guidence ..... always well needed when you're ignorant like me <insert DOH! face here>
Old 11-20-2003, 04:51 PM
airbatic

Check the air in the tires.

Kraus
Old 11-20-2003, 05:07 PM
Leuphan

Check the air in the tires.

Kraus
i wonder if the previous 90 posts of his were this pointless. i'm all sorts of freaked out cause i think i ruined my fairly expensive radio set and you come up with "check the air in the tired" ?
Old 11-21-2003, 12:11 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Leufan, your charger should have one or two LED's (light emitting diodes) on it. These should light up when you are charging the batteries. If they don't light up, something is wrong, most probably an open connection. The switches on the transmitter and receiver must be "OFF" while charging--the LED's won't light if they are "ON".
If you are still having problems, go to the nearest hobby shop and ask, I'm quite sure they would be glad to help you. Even better, if you can, contact a local club and someone there will take you under their wing for a while. Most modelers will go out of their way to give you a hand, sometimes to much so. Do not feel to bad, all of us have done some pretty stupid stuff at times.
Old 11-23-2003, 05:05 AM
Leuphan

thanks for the encuraging words Rodney. the battery charger is fine, and both batteries charge just fine (both LEDs turn on when both batteries are plugged in.

i have quite a bit of trouble going to a LHS or Flying Club because i'm not a very social person to say the least. (that's why i came here in the first place....) but i suppose if there's nothing i can do without help short of ordering a new Tx/Rx and servos, then i'll have to bite the bullet and get out into the real world for a change.

thanks for your time and great info.... all of you

Rob