Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

How Much is Dual Rate (low vs high)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 02:15 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Much is Dual Rate (low vs high)?

Anybody know what the standard dual rate switch is in percentage in a non-computerized Futuba radio? 50%? 60%?

Details:
I'm trying to move over my plane to a computerized radio (Futuba 9C). I'm use to having the Dual rate switches available. But on the 9C, you have to actually program in "how much" the rate decrease is going to be.

I'm switching the plane over from a Futuba Conquest (I think) 6 channel non-computer radio where the dual rate is fixed. I'd like to start on a level playing field and have the dual rate switches start out equivalent. Then I'll play with this flexibility later on.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:19 PM
Crash90
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: How Much is Dual Rate (low vs high)?

Cant you just measure the amount of deflection with your "non computer" radio and just program the throws into your 9C?
Old 11-21-2003, 02:26 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

lol...yes, but that would be guesstimating. I'm sure I'll be off.

I thought there was a definite number they hardwired into the non-computerized radio that someone knew off hand that would be 100% exact.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:42 PM
Crash90

guesstimating? I would think that you could get it dead on balls accurate.
Sorry i can't help.

I would say this. You could measure the high and low rates with a deflection meter or a ruler, divide the low into the high and come up with your percentage. If you come up with 52% or some odd number, chances are, your measurements were slightly off and the nearest round number would be correct. For example High rates = 3/4" low rates = 1/4" Take .25 divided by .75 and you get 33.333%. Round to 33%
Old 11-21-2003, 02:47 PM
Crash90

Just to simplify things. Take your non computer radio. Switch it to high rates. Deflect your elev. Measure how far it moves with a ruler. Then switch to low rates and do the same thing. Write them down so you dont forget. Do this to all surfaces.
Next. Turn on your 9C and program the high and low rates using the same method. Remember, you can have your plane turned on while increasing and decreasing the throw on low rates. As you turn down the throw with the dial you will see your control surfaces responding. Therefore you can hold the ruler to your control surface and make the adjustments. You can get within 1/64 of an inch this way and you will not notice a 1/64 difference.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:52 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

It was variable - open the battery cover on the back and you'll find two pots. It'll give you a starting point.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:21 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

2Much, Different radios were different and as someone said, some non-comp radios it was also variable. You'll need to do it scientifically and measure it.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:35 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 2MuchThrow

Anybody know what the standard dual rate switch is in percentage in a non-computerized Futuba radio? 50%? 60%?

Details:
I'm trying to move over my plane to a computerized radio (Futuba 9C). I'm use to having the Dual rate switches available. But on the 9C, you have to actually program in "how much" the rate decrease is going to be.

I'm switching the plane over from a Futuba Conquest (I think) 6 channel non-computer radio where the dual rate is fixed. I'd like to start on a level playing field and have the dual rate switches start out equivalent. Then I'll play with this flexibility later on.
Take advantage of your more-capable radio and move away from the constraints you use to live with.

This is not a rule, but I usually take the airplanes documented low and high rates and initially plug them into my 9C. I start with high rates and assign the recommended deflections with EPA. I then switch to dual rates and assign high at 100% and adjust the low rates percentage until I arrive at the recommended minimum deflections. After you fly for a while you can make corrections and add/subtract expo in the same screen.

BTW, you want to be careful with your approach. If you just arbitrarily assign a percentage you may end up with deflections less than the recommended minimums -- that could cause you to loose control, especially during takeoffs (PERSONAL EXPERIENCE TALKING HERE -- watched my brand new Hanger 9 73" Cap 232 tip stall into oblivion on one of its initial flights because the elevator was well below minimum recommendations; they were set that way because of a perceived sensitivity of elevator control. The ultra minimum deflection was ok for another pilot used to this plane but ended up disaterous for me.)