Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Tranmitter or TRANFORMER TOY !

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 08:45 PM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tranmitter or TRANFORMER TOY !

Hey ! How about a plain old FUNCTIONAL TX case ?
Just finished cleaning up a couple newer transmitters EYUCK !
Why in the world do they think they have to Gee Whiz us with all the non functional divits bumps and glitz ? Remember the nice clean F and G series Futabas from the 70s and 80s? Man were they ever nicely made. After a days flying a simple swipe with a paper towel and they were good as new ! Maybe the guys who were designing the TRANSFORMER TOYS in the 80s found employment in RC design when the Transformers went OUT ! Wonder how much money could be saved by all this mold maker nonsense.
Heck ,the radio itself is great they don't need to BS us with the HypoTechno Gee whizzery , Do they ?
Just venting . After flying a sweet trainer with a 35 year old Pro Line I'm waxing a bit nostalgic .
Old 05-11-2002, 12:27 AM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ladyflyer, interesting topic. In the May 2002 issue of Model Aviation Eloy Marez was addressing the same subject. He pointed out that the European maker of the Multiplex radio built a smooth faced radio with very high quality electronics. If you haven't seen it take a look at the article. I am totally with you on wanting a good radio without the chrome plated plastic grime grabbers. I don't know why Multiplex was never actively marketed in this country.

I still have an old ACE Micropro 8000 which I no longer use. It had easy cleanability.

Ken
Old 05-11-2002, 10:45 AM
Ed Smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My goodness,

Ed Smith and Ladyflyer actualy in total, complete, unqualified agreement!

Ed S
Old 05-11-2002, 12:18 PM
MTT
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ladyflyer and Big Bird, I agree with you !
Although Multiplex has marketed the Cockpit radio in the U.S. (mostly in S&E modeler), I think they have not done it aggressively enough.
However, if you search through the various RC-Forums, you will find that lots of people don't like the MPX's plain design, especially when it comes to the 3030/4000. "pizza box design" was one of the terms used.
But I also like my 3030 without the glitz and grime grabbers a lot more than these "Star-wars type" TX's.

Michael
Old 05-11-2002, 03:14 PM
tomgtv6

I like the old style too. It seems less toy like. I droped out of the hobby for a while and noticed the changes while out, and did not like the plastic look. I have gone a bit nostalgic by buying old kraft stuff. when I hold my JR or Hitec Tx it is comfortable but does not feel "right". A couple of the Krafts I have are gold stickered AM and FMs and these feel like they are substancial with the metal cases; thinner and easer for me to hold. They are in old style planes and you can tell the diffrences in the servo technology, but the TXs feel Right.
Old 05-11-2002, 04:47 PM
ricfly52

Geez, I thought I was the only one that has been wondering why it is so time consuming to clean up a transmitter. I have only been flying for five years so I don't have any real old radios. I can tell you the newer computer type radios are a pain to clean up. Kind like washing newer model cars. There are tons of nooks and crannies to get to.

On the other hand the older I get, the lumpier I get.
Old 05-12-2002, 12:11 AM
fiery

Default Radio's

I prefer the "lean'n'clean" look Transmitters too. The latest Sooper-Dooper rippley Plastichrome Serial number hedgehogs leave me cold. Little boys get excited about them though.

Looking forward to checking out the 12 ch Multiplex Evo. set when it comes out.
Old 05-12-2002, 12:30 AM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to say I like the looks of all those new transmitters with all the bumps and design stuff...maybe cuz I'm just a gadgety kind of guy...one thing that confuses the heck out of me while flying is all the switches...I still can't tell on a 7 channel radio and up with all the expo and dual rates what switch is what fast enough...constantly hitting all of them by accident...does keep it interesting though when in a low pass or violent maneuver I must say

Will agree though...harder to clean the nooks and crannnies...it's all there for eye candy...
Old 05-12-2002, 07:43 AM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I think there is a cultural thing involved. To improve sales of a Tx in the UK you could add an umbrella to the end of the aerial. For Aussies add a beer cooler etc. Americans do like chrome, America is a huge market so if you want sales to boom, put on lots of chrome and sell it in America. If the Futaba 9C was plain green like Mpx, Americans would shun it, regardless of the electronics within it. But cover it in chrome and Americans will buy it. The Japanese want volume of sales so they give their biggest customer what he or she really wants - chrome and lots of fussy busy fiddly bits so that it looks impressive. And you have to admit that if you put the 9C alongside an Mpx 3030 on the shop shelf, the 9C will always sell first off the shelf. The Germans, as you will have noticed from the likes of BMW and Mercedes, are more interested in being correct (as they see it) than in volume sales. The German attitude is "we have engineered it properly, if you can't see that then it is your problem!" In Germany if you say you are an engineer, and you are not a member of the Institute of Chartered Engineers, the state will prosecute you! They take their engineering very seriously.

Harry
Old 05-12-2002, 07:50 AM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Fiery, I had my hands on the Royal Evo last weekend and I can tell you it is one heck of a comfortable Tx to hold, (though some top mounted switches are a bit awkward to reach). You can't see from the photos how the curved sides and the deep recesses in the back make it like a camera grip. The adjustable stick angle and new position for the cruciform trim switches away from the sticks make it a lovely Tx to use. The ease of programming will blow you away. But it does push some of the user control further into the background. When I expressed disappointment about this because I like the openness of the 3030 programming the man from Mpx said, and I quote his exact words, "this is aimed at the 9Z mentality". That put me right off it!

Harry
Old 05-13-2002, 02:38 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

If only Apple made r/c equipment...
Old 05-13-2002, 02:50 AM
fiery

Default Transmitters

G'day HarryC

Thanks for the advice. The new Mpx Evo Tx looks good. I am looking forward to checking one out in the flesh. I will visit the main dealer here in Oz (5 hours drive from where I live) when the 12 Ch. is released to get the full run-down on it.

And yes, a gimballed beer holder/cooler built on to the Tx would be heaven on a stick. Hmmm, should patent that one. ..

fiery