Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

8103??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2002, 10:43 AM
Spiker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8103??

This is a copy of the letter I am attaching to the radio. I am sending it to Horizon for check. Any thoughts...
Dear Tech:
Please find enclosed my JR 8103 tx. Here is a brief history of the problem that I have been experiencing over the last two year period. I was flying my profile Extra and while in a steep right turn I lost all input control the airplane did nothing with respect to the stick movements. Post crash investigation showed all radio gear in working order. The second occurrence was while flying my Kougar. I did a hammerhead stall to the right and on the downward flight I lost all the input control again. Nothing I did would help control the airplane even throttle was up/down by itself as model was descending. Subsequent crash investigation showed all radio gear functional. The third incident occurred with my Kadet Senior after towing a glider to the release point same situation again but after 15 seconds control was established and no crash. The glider towline was plastic monofilament fish line which cannot interfere with radio signals & has been used for many years with no problem. The final incident occurred will flying my 4* 40 . I was doing circuits in level flight when all control was lost. the airplane spiraled to the ground. Once again the radio gear checked out fine. The time between these incidents from the first to second time would be 2 months with numerous uneventful flights in-between. The third time was at the beginning of the next flying season followed the next day by the fourth incident. Now after all the problems we could not attribute the cause to anything we could find. The first two airplanes had the same receiver (Hitec Supreme 7 channel JR). The third airplane had a (Hitec Supreme 7 channel JR) and the fourth airplane had a JR R600, all had different battery packs, all had external routing of antenna wire. After the glider incident, a ground range check was 330' with t/x antenna telescoped to the shortest length, and the r/x antenna rotated several times thru 360 degrees while doing the range check. Right after which I flew two more 10-minute flights with no problem.
Our flying field is located in the rural area away from large cities and towns. Radio interference is virtually unknown, also there are four other fliers that use channel 33 with no problems in the past five years. We have ruled out everything but an intermittent t/x problem. Help!!
Old 05-11-2002, 02:47 PM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 8103??

First off DO NOT SEND IT TO HORIZON. The last time I talked with them they claimed that working without schematics was normal for them. They had NO schematics for the gear they CLAIM to service. I have no idea what the experience level of their tech dept is but for all the splash they give to ABC&W technology they cannot define or explain just what it is.

Send the gear to Pete Waters at Kraft Midwest in Northville Michigan. He is probably the most experienced tech still working on this stuff. He uses real test equipment and has been in the biz for 30 some years. I cannot emphasize strongly enough the difference in expertise between the two.
Old 05-11-2002, 06:24 PM
Spiker

Default 8103??

Ladyflyer... do you have an address for Pete Waters(email,phone, etc.) I am reluctant to send it to Horizon, I hear it takes forever to get radio back. I don't know about their work quality.
Thanks
Old 05-11-2002, 10:19 PM
figueroa
My Feedback: (22)

Default Kraft Midwest

Hi Spiker,
Just happen to have the address you are looking for :

Kraft Midwest
7420 7 Mile Road
Northville , Michigan 48167
248-486-4800

I have heard good things about Kraft Midwest.
Good luck !
jef
Old 05-12-2002, 01:41 AM
Lee Belew

Default 8103

your problem with the transmitter sounds like the fuse holder problem. The fuse holder in the rear of the 8103 is really a piece of junk. I have run into a number of these. It is very easy for the fuse holder to loose contact with the fuse. At each end of the fuse holder is two small contact points. I do not know what the type of metal is used. Very carefully remove the fuse and bend the contact point toward each other to tighten them. I usually have to remove the rear cover of the transmitter to reinstall the fuse.
When the fuse looses contact with the holder the whole transmitter goes dead. I have fixed about 10 of these.
The same problem exist on other transmitter also. 652 etc.
Old 05-12-2002, 01:42 AM
Spiker

Default 8103??

Thanks for the info Jef much appreciated!
Ladyflyer... thanks for pionting me in the right direction!
Lee... thanks I will check the holder.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:59 PM
Spiker

Default 8103??

Lee... fuse holder checked to be ok.
TX is on its way to Kraft Midwest.
Thanks
Old 05-15-2002, 01:15 AM
Lee Belew

Default x8103

Thanks for the update. I'm sorry I could not help. I would be interested to know how you come out with Kraft, I have dealt with them for years. Had good results. i have a 8103 and 388 that I plan to send to them for lithiam battery replacements.
Lee Belew
[email protected]
Sugar Land, Texas