Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

HFP-10 Programming Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 09:00 PM
Paul Cataldo
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HFP-10 Programming Help

Before anyone suggests, YES, I DID watch Joe Hunts video on using the programmer. NO, it didn't answer my questions. He's a great guy, but I still need help. You see, I KNOW MANY people who THINK they are using the HFP-10 properly, BUT THEY ARE NOT.
Anyhow,
From what I can tell there are a few steps that are to be done IN THIS ORDER. Someone please correct me IF I am WRONG.

1.Program Reset: This resets the servo back to the factory default settings.
My question pertaining to program reset is, "Why does the servo need to be programmed BACK to the factory default?" I would think that the servo WOULD STILL BE AT FACTORY DEFAULT. In other words, if the servo IS NOT at the factory default, then where is it when I get it brand new out of the box? I'm missing something here. What has made it "stray" from factory default?
2. Dead Band Width: I understand DB width, but the manual says the width is between 3 and 48. What should I program my servos DB width at? Is this something that you guys ALWAYS mess with, when setting up a plane?
3. ROTATION
4. SPEED
5. FAILSAFE - I understand all of these. 4 and 5 I won't use.

6. EPAneuFS End Point, Neutral and Failsafe
First off the manual states " you cannot set a neutral point more than 15 degrees past it's factory preset center point" This is to avoid overdriving the servo.
My question is "Does this always work out ok? Anyone ever tried to adjust a neutral point, where 15 degrees of lee-way wasn't enough?

Someone correct me if I am wrong here, but my understanding is that the goal of programming servos is to try and get the servo arm at EXACTLY 90 degrees to the case of the servo itself. (when in neutral position) THEN, set the endpoints the same.
This is pertaining to dual elevator servos. Dual servo in each wing, and ganging servos together, etc, etc.
How do you guys figure out if your servo arm is at 90 degrees to the case when at neutral? I have heard of some guys making little degree wheels or using protractors. Is this the best way to do it? Thank for any help here. I really need to get this project moving...
Old 12-13-2003, 10:57 PM
bentgear

Default RE: HFP-10 Programming Help

Well Paul, I'll make a few assumptions here and you know what happens when you assume anything.

First, you have to have a starting point. What better point than a servo with a known setting. If you get in that habbit you will always know where you start. Just reset the thing to factory settings. Trust me, when you start moving the servo from plane to plane you will be glad you did.

You don't want to use the order you listed. You want to set the center and end points before setting failsafe. Just think about that one for a minute, I think you will see why.

Why would you think you need to offset the center over 15 deg. Move the servo arm one notch, then set center.

You can set center several ways. visual by just looking at it. Use a protractor/square off the servo case (both servo's are mounted exacty square aren't they?). Use a protractor/square off the fuse (at least this takes out the mounting part). Both control horns set up "exactly" the same, then make the linkages the same length and when the surfaces are both level, you are centered.

Many ways to attack the problem.

Have fun. Play with the thing. You will find the way YOU liek to do things. Just to remember to reset to factory defaults between play steps.

Ed M.
Old 12-13-2003, 11:21 PM
Paul Cataldo
My Feedback: (10)

Ed,
Thanks,
I think I have found a good method, to program center and endpoints.
Basically, now I'm just concerned with the Deadband width. I have never seen anyone discuss this matter, and was wondering what setting should be used. As long as I've got a relatively small DB width, is it even THAT critical?
Old 12-13-2003, 11:49 PM
bentgear

The servo will be reset to the tightest deadband that it is capable of when you do the reset. The main reason I would want to change it would be on a few other manufacturers servo's to make it a little wider, but you can't program them - dang it. Have not had that problem with the Hitec brand yet, but they seem to be tight enuff for my taste.

Ed M.