Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 9C .... weird problem ..

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 06:08 AM
bobi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 9C .... weird problem ..

My Futaba 9C is few months from being two years old.

It developed a problem today.

When i advance the throttle (ch 3 )to the top position ( wide open throttle ) the servo responds ok but after being in this position for about 30 seconds it cuts back to idle.
at first i thought i was having engine problems but it turned out to be this radio problem. I switched to another servo thinking it was a servo malfunction but this new servo also has this problem .. so the culprit must be the RX.

I came home and tried the same with my other plane using this same transmitter. Same problem exists on this setup also. so the rx is also eliminated. SO this is now a TX problem.??

Is there any feature on this radio which i might have touched by mistake and could have caused this ??

Any thoughts / advise ??
Old 12-14-2003, 06:49 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 9C .... weird problem ..

Doesn't sound like the problem is related to any programmable function. What's the condition of your Tx ? Did it get wet or experienced any other mishap ?
Old 12-14-2003, 08:42 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

If you are using a PCM receiver, the throttle will behave this way if the receiver has a low battery or the transmitter signal is lost. If this is not a PCM receiver, then I don't have any idea.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:11 AM
bobi

Rajul: tx is in good condition. no drop . no wet .

Geistware: thanks for your input. i checked the Battery which i flew with today and there was no light on my battery checker , i had another battery so i hooked it up -- good battery . and tried it on the plane i flew today .... no pullback on the throttle servo after 30 seconds .. so it sounds like battery weakness. I tried the new battery on second plane at home .. set up is OK>

Seems like battery problem... i am going to charge the battery tonight and see again tomorrow and give the feedback here.

and Yes..the rx is PCM type.

thanks again .. and hope this is the root of the problem.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:00 PM
Geistware

bobi, I hope this does it but if not, holler back and I will give you my 2 cents worth!
Old 12-14-2003, 02:51 PM
rajul

geistware is right on ! I forgot about battery failsafe. Guess that I never worry or think much about it ever since I hooked up a voltwatch to my Rx
Old 12-14-2003, 07:30 PM
Geistware

Rajul, I thought as you do until I had 6 digital servos on a 6 volt NiMH pack and the receiver kept going into failsafe while I was flying. Makes it hard to forget.

ORIGINAL: rajul
geistware is right on ! I forgot about battery failsafe. Guess that I never worry or think much about it ever since I hooked up a voltwatch to my Rx
Old 12-14-2003, 08:13 PM
rajul

Geistware, how did you solve the failsafe problem ? Did you use a voltage regulator ?
Old 12-14-2003, 11:32 PM
Geistware

Believe it or not, I went from one 2700maH NiMH pack to one 1400maH Nicad and the problem went away! I now have two 1800maH packs in the plane for weight and balance.

ORIGINAL: rajul

Geistware, how did you solve the failsafe problem ? Did you use a voltage regulator ?
Old 12-15-2003, 11:32 PM
bobi

I charged the batteries overnight and found out that there was no power in the battery . Looks like the battery failed . Thanks to PCM system for cutting off on throttle and forcing me to land.
If it was FM system the plane would have been flying with bad batteries and I could have lost the plane if the power was down to zero.

thanks for your 2 cents Geistware.

N i hope this info is useful for everyone on RCU>
Old 12-16-2003, 09:50 AM
Geistware

No Problem, I am glad you found the problem before it was too late!

ORIGINAL: bobi

I charged the batteries overnight and found out that there was no power in the battery . Looks like the battery failed . Thanks to PCM system for cutting off on throttle and forcing me to land.
If it was FM system the plane would have been flying with bad batteries and I could have lost the plane if the power was down to zero.

thanks for your 2 cents Geistware.

N i hope this info is useful for everyone on RCU>