RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba vs Hitec

Old 02-20-2003, 10:45 AM
johnybravo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba vs Hitec

I've operated Futaba equipment for years with excellent results, very reliable. How does Hitec compare, particularly Hitec servos to Futaba i.e. with respect to centering, deadband width and most iomportant, reliability. I've recently changed over to Hitec servos for my 1/4 scale stuff and they seem to be holding up o.k. I am wondering more about over the long term how they will hold up. Anybody have experience with both over the long haul. Thanks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2003, 11:21 AM
Bill L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba vs Hitec

Jonny, you may have opened up a good subject. Flyers swear by one radio system or another.
Why did you switch to Hitech control parts? I use JR and Hitech with good results, but that's feather, and 555 receiver.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I'll be real anxious to see your replies.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:42 PM
johnybravo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba vs Hitec

When I went to 1/4 scale I needed more torque. High torque output Futaba servos start getting expensive very fast whereas Hitecs are less expensive. Hitec also has an excellent range of products, wheras Futaba doesn't seem to offer much in the higher torque ranges unless you want to go digital, again expensive. I had decided to stay with analog servos for several reasons, cost being only one. I've heard all the arguments for digitals, decreased deadband width, increased holding power, blah blah blah but what does that mean in the real world?I have been flying for qute a few years and don't remember ever once thinking...."gee, I sure could use more holding power on this rudder servo" etc. I also tend to be a bit conservative with new technology applications, especially with high value aircraft, until they prove themselves. I've heard just enough negative about digitals to be wary of them for the time being. Anyway I am currently running Hitec 605s, 625s and 645s with good results on my 1/4 scalers. I hope that in the long haul they prove as relaible as my Futabas have. Hope this clears things up. John[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2003, 04:47 PM
Postal FLyer
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba vs Hitec

Johnny I started using the Hitec servos a long time ago and have never had any problems with the servos. I found out real quick however that if you try to use a futaba servo arm screw in a Hitec servo the screw is very sloppy and strips when you tighten it. As a result of this I only buy Hitec servos. They make a servo to compete with JR and Futaba in just about every application, including coreless and digital, and the price is much better. I do use Futaba PCM 149 recievers because Hitec did not offer any PCM radios, but now that Hitec has aquired Multiplex I am looking forward to some interesting changes in the Radio situation. Many moons ago I bought a JR radio when they were Circus Hobbies out of Las Vegas. I was a good radio for what I paid but one day I had dropped it as I was setting up. It only fell 2 feet and landed in plush grass but it quit working. I sent it back to Circus and they told me the transmitter crystal had cracked and sent me the radio back repaired and working fine. Ever since that time I have always been weary of them. I've since seen guys get mad because they crashed their plane and threw their Futaba across the run way but they were using it again as soon as they built another plane. I know the big dogs in the hobby swear by the big 10X JR and 10X Futaba with super doppler 9000 and more bells and whistles than a hummer2, even though most of them are only using the same 4 or 5 channels I use in my plane, but I will keep my Futaba 6XAS and 7UAF radios for now. I have always wanted a multiplex and I am hoping Hitec will deliver as they always have.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:42 PM
MR G

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba vs Hitec

Hi Postal Flyer, I am with you 100%. I think Hitec got a bad rap early on with some of their stuff, the early digitals had some programming problems for one . I think they have really cleaned up their act and are offering some really good products now that are attractively priced. I've used Futaba equipment for years and as far as I"m concerned they have a walk on water reputation for reliability as you stated. They seem to be less agressive than Hitec though at developing new products. I think Hitec is going to own the market someday, at least in the sport radio sector of the market. JR, I don't have any experience with one way or the other. Well anyway, thanks for your input.
Johnybravo[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-09-2003, 12:53 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba vs Hitec

For years I didn't even know there was anythng but Kraft. Then came Futaba, then came Hitec. I am a sport flyer who has been in this hobby since '34 and serious RC after the Galloping Ghost was replaced. Personally
I think one can get too attached to one particular type of anything in the hobby. There are several manufacturers of exceptionlly fine RC gear just as there are many kit and ARF makers. Different types of covering
different engine makers, 4 stroke as opposed to 2 stroke. Things are constantly chainging. Try any maker's products until you find what suits you best. Questions to other pilots at the field might help. As for me I have both Futaba and Hitec on my shelves. Computer TX's and even some old AMs that still work well.
Old 03-09-2003, 02:25 PM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba vs Hitec

I think that the most amazing part of this hobby is the excellent radio equipment we now get from all the major manufacturers. I personally use both Futab and HiTec and find them excellent but, as I often help others in the hobby, I frequently fly Airtronics and JR equipment, all superb. My biggest compaint is that none seem to have a standardized servo wheel attachment. You can not interchange the arms between most makes of servos and I have seen this cause several crashes where the new guys didn't realize this problem. Also, the fact that JR polarizes their transmitter charger plug differently than all others has also caused problems where people try to mix and match equipment.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:05 AM
Zappy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba vs Hitec

Hey guys this futaba vs hitec stuff is all about are you willing to pay for it or not. That mean MONEY wise. If you are on a shoe string budget then go for the Hitec, If you are on a money no objective then futaba. This mean you get what you pay for plus THE DISTRIBUTOR of the products set the rrp of it. OH yes the DISTRIBUTOR that rip you off NOT THE MODEL STORES OR SHOP that sell you the equipment. Quite a few years ago I went to one of distributor that sell Thunder Tiger and Hitec equipments for some engines components.........and do you want to know what CARS they park on their car park? BMW M3 convertible, Mitisbishi Shogun, Mercedes coupe AMG, etc . See How they get those expense cars FROM? YOU the humble modellors.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:53 PM
LUDS96
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba vs Hitec

Hitec Recievers! Do they have the reliabilty of Futaba! Or is this just false economy! I have a Hitec reciever in my combat spad plane and have had no problems with it! It has been bumped around alot! I';m building a Giant Stinger and I'm sinking alot of mioney into it I was going to put two supreme 8 recievers in it for rundundancy! Allso Hitec quarters scale servos! Should I go with Futaba or Hitec. All my transmitters are Futaba! Suggestions Welcome!
Old 03-10-2003, 05:11 PM
Bill L

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba vs Hitec

You are ([img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]) right Hitec receivers work. I got only one Hitec receiver that didn't, and it had a loose connection. I sent it back to Tower Hobby, and they replaced it right away. Get the transmitter that does what you want it to do, and then use the servos and receiver that you want to use[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. Just make sure they are compatable.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2003, 02:51 PM
rcglert

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba vs Hitec

I love Hitec for the price and performance. I have never had a problem with my Hitec equipment. Futaba seems to be good stuff too, just terribly over priced with performance being no better or no worse than Hitec. I phased out all of my old Futaba equipment and replaced it with Hitec so I would be using the same components on all my airplanes. 8 years of happy hitec use and counting.

Tom