Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR652 aileron set-up

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 05:37 PM
Helix1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR652 aileron set-up

I have a JR652, using a 600 receiver and dual aileron servo's. The 652 manual leaves me up in the air as to what to do next in setting up my ailerons. I'm not using a Y connector and don't want to, but, I'm confused as to how to get them to work together and get them set up: equal throws up and down and setting them for the plane mfg. suggested throw, etc. I'm plugged into aux1/flap and the aileron channel and of course the one aileron works and the other goes almost straight down. Could someone take the time to instruct me on how to get the ailerons set up right with the 652. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have reset the radio to the factory default settings, so I'm starting off from square one. By the way, the plane is a Pizazz with a Saito 72

Thanks
Chris
Old 05-17-2002, 10:08 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Earlier this week I helped a friend get his 652 to have 2 aileron servos, and yes, the manual is as much use as a chocolate coffee pot. If you don’t have prior knowledge of how these things work and how to sort it then the manual just leaves you with an inoperable radio.

If one works as aileron and the other is sitting still at the end of its travel it sounds like you have not enabled the 2 aileron servo capability. The servo in channel 2 is getting aileron, and the servo in channel 6 is getting the flap switch. Move the flap switch and that aileron will go from full down to full up. To enable 2 aileron servos in the 652 you need to activate the flaperon mix, a really stupid way of doing it if all you want is aileron but there we go. The budget sets have to cramp features together to make the most of their limited memory and processing.

To enable the flaperon mix, go to system set up by holding down the 2 left buttons while switching on. Go to the screen that says WNG OF and change this to FLP or WNG ON or something like that. The 2 other mixes it offers are DLT and VTL and you do not want them. Leave the system set up.

The 652 now sends both aileron and flap to channels 2 and 6. It is at this point that the manual abandons you and unless you already know what you are doing, the radio seems to have stopped working properly. The aileron stick is saying “servos go to neutral” but the flap is just a 2 position switch and says “go to one end of travel”. So your ailerons are now at extreme up or down and wiggling the aileron stick makes hardly any difference. Move the flap switch and you will see the ailerons move to the other end of their travel. What you need to do is set the flap movement to zero in each direction. Go to the flap travel and it will be at the default 100%, turn that down to 0%, move the flap switch and turn that from 100 to 0%. The 652 still mixes the flap switch but since that value is 0, it has no effect. The ailerons will now be back at neutral and will work. If they need reversing, then the one plugged into channel 6 needs the flap reversing, as reversing aileron just affects channel 2. For dual rates the aileron setting affects both channels, and of course the ail diff now works.

Hope that's the info that you need,

Harry
Old 05-18-2002, 11:14 AM
Helix1
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks Harry,
That was the info I needed. Sometimes I feel like an idiot reading
manuals and it gets real frustrating. I appreciate your post and helping me out.

Thanks again
Chris
Old 05-21-2002, 03:20 PM
judaho

Sorry to butt in here, but I think I may need some help in this regard, too. I have a new-in-box XP652 (and you're right - the manual is thin and confusing at best), and I'm building my first RC plane, a Balsa USA trainer. I am modifying the wing to accept an aileron servo on each side instead of one servo in the middle.
I assumed all I had to do was just use a Y-harness to split the aileron signal, and both aileron servos would operate as one (I figured I would just reverse the linkage to get the opposite throw on one of the ailerons).
Am I to understand that there is a lot more to this than first assumed, and the servos will not operate off the same signal?
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-2002, 04:16 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Judaho, what you want to do is perfectly ok! Before computer radios we had to use Y leads, as do the many fliers who still use non-computer radios. And of course you can still use a Y lead when using a computer radio. Plug the Y lead into the Rx, the 2 servos into the Y lead both servos will work fine. You hit the key phrase though when you mentioned both servos acting as one. Both will rotate the same way so if mounted upright then connect opposite ends of the arms to the ailerons, or if side mounted then point the servos in opposite directions, that is the top face with the output arms must both face out or both face in but not both face left or both face right.

The reason for using 2 separate channels when using a computer radio is that the signals to each servo can be different, so they no longer behave as if one servo. Thus we can implement differential up and down travel from the Tx, we can mix flaps with ailerons, we can adjust centres and travels individually, and if space is tight for internal servos especially hidden inside the wing on scale models then we can lay the servos the same way and use the Tx to reverse one.

None of these fancy features should be needed on your trainer, so you can choose equally between using the flaperon feature or a Y lead.

Harry

The reason
Old 05-22-2002, 01:15 PM
judaho

Thanks, HarryC. Appreciate the response.

By the way, I bought a Hitec standard, non-BB $9.99 servo for the throttle control, figuring it doesn't need a lot of torque and won't be in use all the time. How many years do the cheaper basic servos last, under normal use?
Old 05-22-2002, 02:44 PM
AQ500

I've purchased the HS-300 for many applications for $9.99 and have never had a problem. I think they have nearly the same quality and lifetime as the non-BB Futaba's or JR's. People will pay more for the name. I've had more problems with the JR 507's than any other servo. I had 2 with cold solders on the motor. Luckily, they were on throttle and rudder. I had to dissasemble each one and inspect them. I also bought a new radio and JR 537 servo wouldn't work. Sent it back and got a new one. I also use the HS-81's and the HS-55's. They are great servos and I have never had a problem with them.