Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Analog vs Digital

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 09:55 AM
johnybravo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Analog vs Digital

I know this is going to open up a can of worms but that is what discussion forums are alll about, right?? I have seen and heard a lot of what I call snobbery involving servo selection lately, as in "I just spent $850 on six digital servos for my new Whiz Bang 300" and "I see you're still running those old Brand X analogs that cost about 10 bucks apiece, when are you going to step up to the plate and buy digitals"? I am as familiar as anybody with the so called "advantages" that digitals offer, at least in theory. What about in the real world? Does tighter deadband, higher holding torque etc. etc. ad nauseum infinitum add up to a noticeable difference in aircraft control? And what about reliability? My most reliable servos have been bargain basement, plastic geared, no ball bearing servos. They have done yeoman duty over the years without any fuss. Anytime you add complexity to a system, your adding new failure modes. Anyway, has anyone studied the real world benifits of the digitals to the average flier like myself where the virtues of ultra tight deadband and centering are nullified by my knees knocking and hands shaking? Flame Shields on!

Johnybravo[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]