Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba VS Sanwa

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 03:42 PM
sharon whipple

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba VS Sanwa

Hi folks,
I am new around, I will be glad to get some advice from the experienced ones.

[link=http://www.airtronics.net/RD6000_Super.htm]Sanwa RD 6000[/link] digital PCM (I think that only the transmitter is PCM) radio system (not sure about the "super")

OR

[link=http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/futk55.html]Futaba T6XA [/link] FM radio system (visually it looks simpler then the RD6000)

Both systems cost the same.
I just want to be 100% sure that my system will last long and will be reliable , i know futaba is reliable .
I don't think I will ever buy a helicopter (who knows ...)
Any advice will be appreciated .

Thank you very much!

Sharon.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:32 PM
Checklst

Default RE: Futaba VS Sanwa

Both radios are vary good quality I own JR,Futaba, and Airtronics. The only problem I had with the Futaba XA was when I tried to use the Buddy cord with my student at our field the XA took a special cord just for that radio, its a square plug for the XA(another cord our club has to buy), on the flip side if a club has any training equipment it probably going to be Futaba not Airtronics. our club has buddy systems for Air Fut, and JR, most of your instructors will have Futaba.

You could not go wrong no matter which one you choose .
Old 12-21-2003, 07:35 PM
CP140

Can't comment on the Futaba, but I love my RD6000. It's nice and easy to program and it indicates which channel you are adjusting settings for rather than indicating it with a number. Also, it has the ability to change which "shift" you transmit...so you can use any manufacturer's receiver(Not sure if this is an issue in your part of the world or not). The countdown timer is a nice thing to have too...keeps me from running out of fuel...at least it does when I remember to start it!

The "Super" indicates that it has a couple more mixing options and more model memory than the original RD6000 when it first came out a few years ago.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:24 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Futaba has gone with the "Cheap" look for its radios nowadays.

Believe me, it's not cheap at ALL. I don't own one but have used one ad seen others use one.

Umm, Is it the 6EXA or the 6XAS? The 6XA was discontinued a while ago. 6XA and 6XAS are round port. 6EXA is square port. Umm, I think Checklst means the 6EXA.

You're gonna lack some buddy-boxing capabilities with the RD 6000.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:08 AM
sharon whipple

Thank you very much for your replays !

It seems that the scales is leaning towards the Futaba side.

I just find out that the Sanwa know to transmit PCM, but they market the package with FM receiver (isn’t it stupid ?!?!?)

So, if I will say:

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCZC2**&P=0]Sanwa RD-8000 (8 ch , PCM transmitter )[/link]

VS

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXD65**&P=0] Futaba T6XA [s ] FULL PCM 6 ch , with ball baring servo?s[/link]

They both the same price (about 388 $ here)
What will you recommend ?

Plz advise.
Thank you ,
Sharon.
Old 12-22-2003, 06:27 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

The 6XAS is a generation old, and it shows its age in its programming and features. The RD6000 is a great piece of gear, and the most feature-complete 6-channel of the major brands. PCM vs. PPM really doesn't count for much unless you have a specific need for PCM. Most people don't. Little things like timers, 3-letter model names vs. single numbers, digital trims, a useful heli mode, and very easy programming really put the the RD6000 far ahead in my mind. You could pay the same amount for a less capable radio, but why?

I wouldn't make a decision based simply on weight of responses here. Take the time to examine the features of each radio, and make your choice based on what best suits your needs.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:32 AM
sharon whipple

Than's MikeL ,

In the price of T6XA [ s] I can get RD8000 (RD 6000 is 100$ less .)

Does it way overpower the Futaba ?

DO you know if the RD8000 is FULL PCM ?? both receiver & transmitter ?

also , you said
Take the time to examine the features of each radio, and make your choice based on what best suits your needs.
i am a beginner, for now i just want the system to be reliable and last long .

Sharon
Old 12-22-2003, 10:53 AM
CP140

I think you can buy the RD6000 with different combinations of receivers and servos... so if you're set on PCM, you should be able to get a package with a PCM receiver.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:08 PM
Crashem

You're gonna lack some buddy-boxing capabilities with the RD 6000.
How do you figure????

Yub Yub which brand(s) of radios do you own????
Old 12-22-2003, 03:11 PM
Crashem

-=Shark=-

take MikeL's advice base you decision on radio features and your needs NOT opinions posted here!!!!!!

BTW Why do you feel that you need a PCM radio???
Old 12-22-2003, 04:08 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shark, welcome to rcu and the wonderful world of r/c!

what yub-yub said about buddy-box capabilities is a valid point as in the states you might only find 1 airtronics radio per 10 futabas at a flying field, if the instructor is a futaba guy then it might be a problem. over here though it's a little different, last time i was at a well populated flying field it was a 50/50 split between futaba and airtronics.

MikeL's advice is very good but you should also take into account service and repairs. if you buy the sanwa it is most likely imported by tissan haifa which as you know has been around for a loooong time and will give you very good service. who imports futaba over here?

PCM isn't worth the money if you ask me, even if it's only $5 more i wouldn't bother with it. so you can program your plane to crash while rolling to the right instead of to the left...in over 15 years of flying over here i've never crashed due to interference, sure i've gotten a few glitches here and there but nothing that PCM would help me with. when i crash it's because of my own stupidity and not interference. don't listen to all the stories you hear about crashes caused by interference and how it wouldn't have happened with PCM, it was most likely human error but pride has a way of preventing the truth from coming out sometimes.

dave
Old 12-22-2003, 04:37 PM
SwampFlier-RCU

Go for the RD6000 or the RD8000 !!!
I have an RD600 and its very easy to program and set-up i like it a lot

Dave (and others_ if you buy a 6EXA you'l ahve the same incompatibilies (or more) than the airtronics and Futaba did it by themselves.. no backward compatibility....

PCm is a luxury if you want it.. doesnt necesarily means is better (and you won't notice the difference)
Old 12-22-2003, 10:19 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Yub, the 6X has not been discontinued.

However, the boys at Futaba seem to be in on a secret that eludes the low-end Airtronics systems.

The secret is "A knob on Ch6 is handy!"
Old 12-23-2003, 07:42 AM
sharon whipple

some answers

>>BTW Why do you feel that you need a PCM radio???

I crashed a trainer last week because of [ bad radio (futaba) / interference's]
And i think that the latest technology is better.

>> ZAGNUT

Then why is futaba so common in IL ?!?!?!?
the importer of futaba is Hifa 2 (i think) .

3DFanatic , sorry but I didn’t understand your replay .

Sharon .
Old 12-23-2003, 11:39 AM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the futaba is imported through haifa then i guess service won't be a prob, guess i just assumed that they still brought in only sanwa, times change and i'm a little behind.

as for PCM vs. PPM you can read the long thread on that issue right here on rcu. i guess it all comes down to opinions and what you chose to believe. i believe that any interference strong enough and long enough to crash your PPM plane is gonna do the same to PCM. PCM also can mask a lot of glitches caused by interference, some say this is good i say it's bad, i like to know when something isn't right, be it the radio or actual interference in the area. this is reason i and many others don't use PCM on the big gassers, it can mask interference from the engine which if not noticed and fixed can lead to a crash.

now if you really want the latest technology you should look into the receivers being made by FMA, multiplex and maybe some others.

dave