Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Rubber Ducky Antenna's

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2002, 10:44 AM
Mikee-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubber Ducky Antenna's

Where can a person buy these? Is there a web site that these can be looked at more closely? I'm looking to install one on one of my radios but not sure if I really want to do it. Thanks in advance.
Mikee
Old 05-18-2002, 11:10 AM
figueroa
My Feedback: (22)

Hi Mikee,
You can get Rubber Ducky antennas from Smiley Antennas.
www.htantennas.com . After breaking two antennas and damaging several sailplanes with the stock antenna I needed somthing short and soft. They also work great , I fly as high as 3000 feet and have never had a radio related problem.
jef
Old 05-19-2002, 01:04 AM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

I use them on all my transmitters; they work great.

A tip: after using the Duck antennas for a while, the "extend-the-antenna-before-taking-off" reflex goes away. Not a problem with my gear, but uncool when taking up a newbie's plane for the first time
Old 05-19-2002, 06:10 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Mikee,
FYI -- assuming you are in the US, non-stock antennas are a violation of FCC regulations, as well as voids your AMA coverage, and your warranty for most if not all manufacturers. Any modification which modifies the actual transmission equipment is against FCC regulation.

Please email

[email protected]

with replacing my antenna in the body of the message and test in the subject for additional details.
Old 05-20-2002, 03:14 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

AnnMarie,

Do you see a time when radio mfg will offer this type of antenna as an option or in place of the standard telescopic antenna? They seem to be somewhat popular but due to the legalities, folks are probably not using them that otherwise would.
Old 05-20-2002, 07:35 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

JR used to offer a (short) whip antenna that replaced the standard screw-in one. It wasn't very popular.
Old 05-23-2002, 01:16 AM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Default legality of rubber ducky antenna

Ann Marie,

Unless you fly on 6 meters and have a ham license.

Then you build a transmitter to broadcast on 50 or 53mhz. Or convert a good old Ace, Proline, Kraft, etc. transmitter to 6 meters provided it is within spec.

But with today's high quality computer radios it is more of a novelty than a practicality.

JR still offers rubber ducky antennas.

Can a non ham licensed hobbiest unscrew his broken antenna and screw in a new one in regards to the FCC?

Just kidding, I know that would not be a modification.

Ann Marie, you are the greatest tech support person alive. You are one of the main reasons I buy Great Planes products.

Brian
KB1DTB