Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo Differences

Old 02-24-2003, 02:54 PM
jhart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Differences

Where can I find info on what the differences are between manufacturers(JR-FUTABA-HITEC,Etc.....)
are?(ie connector lead config, signaling etc) Also, which if any, can be used with the other brands' receivers.

I've seen this somewhere on a website or info sheet.

Thanks in advance, Jerry
Old 02-24-2003, 04:10 PM
00hex

Any brand of receiver should work with any brand of servo. Once the receiver decodes the signal it's always the same.
Transmitters and receivers have to both be positive or negative shift to work together. Futaba, Hitec, and Tower all work together. I think JR and Airtronics use the other shift. Hitec has a shift-selectable receiver; expensive transmitters may also do this.
Most connectors have some way of polarizing the plug so you can't plug it in backwards (it won't hurt anything if you do but it won't work). Futaba for example has a tab along one side of the plug, and a notch on the side of the socket. There are universal connectors that work with any brand. You can also "modify" the plugs with an xacto knife (e.g. cut the tab off a Futaba plug to get it to work with a Hitec RX).
Several of the brands also let you buy servos with any style of plug you want.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:34 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I mix and match JR and Futaba all the time. I'm not sure about the other brands. When Hubber answers
he can tell you what can be used with what. later daveo
Old 02-25-2003, 02:22 AM
FHHuber
Banned

I can't give ALL the compatibilities...I haven't seen some of the brands of equip that are out there. (No idea what pinout/voltage/frequency shift, etc. Multplex uses. And there's more brands.)
The 2 most common rX/Servo pinouts are the Futaba/JR/Hitech style +,-,S (S= signal) and the Airtronics -,+,S And the newer Airtronics radios have switched to the same pinout as Futaba. Hobico defaults to the Futaba, but will put the old type Airtronics plug/pinout on if you specify it when ordering the servo. (same for most other brands too...)
Plugging an old Airtronics servo into a Futaba RX can fry both the RX and the servo (and any other servos attached...) same for plugging a Futaba servo into an Airtronics. You swap the + and - leads to match and you don't have this problem. Feeding +5 v on the - lead and having the signal lead able to carry the reversed current will fry stuff QUICK.

The Futaba J connector can be trimmed to fit in a JR or "universal" plug. Just trim the alignmnet lug off and a Futaba servo plugs right into a JR RX. You do have to be careful not to plug it in backwards... (especially when plugging back into a Futaba RX)
There's 2 "shift" modes for the FM radio signals. Futaba/Hitech use - shift and JR uses + shift (I might have the + and - backwards...) As long as you know your radio make and specify that when ordering the RX... should be no problem (except Futaba doesn't make JR compatible RX's and JR doesn't make them for Futaba...) GWS and FMA default to JR compatible if you don't tell them which you want. Hobbico is essentially re-labeled Futaba stuff... I'm not sure which shift mode is used by Airtronics.
There's a new system out which advertises that its TX AND RX are able to be set for whichever shift mode is desired. (and has synthesized frequency control.. for access to ALL "channels" without changing crystals.) I believe they use the Futaba type servo connection.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:21 AM
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)

This if from Howard Sullivan's website- Servo lead pinouts

Here's another link that might be useful- Servo lead color codes
Old 02-25-2003, 02:06 PM
jhart

Thanks a lot guys. This is exactly the info that I was looking for.

Jerry
Old 06-14-2003, 08:00 PM
Jolly Roger

Thanks for the great information so far. I have read all the replies and followed a few of the links. The information at http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/hobby/leads.htm appears to be out of date because my Airtronics servo have blue red and black wires.

I have Futaba servos and an Airtronics VG400 with blue Z connectors. I have the wire configurations from Airtronics (Blue - signal, red - positive, black - negative). Can someone confirm that Futaba is Red = positive, black = negative, and white = signal).

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Mike