Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

FM Vs AM for cars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 09:34 PM
Uzzi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FM Vs AM for cars?

I am running a 10th scale electric car and Im looking to get a new Radio system. Im having trouble getting the car to run consistently in areas where line of sight isnt very wide and it cuts out after about 150-200 feet. This is mainly down a narrow street with a few cars parked down the sides.

Ive seen that the FM 3 channel pistol units are alot more expencive that the AM 2 channel. Id like to know if there is a signifigant range difference between an $80 AM and a $100- $200 FM and if the higher price equates to better range. I dont need all of the bells and whistles, computerised enhancments arent important to me, but range is.

Also need some opinions about which models work best. I dont need a 3rd channel, but the units available in this category look quite nice and seem to be higher quality, less toy like.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:48 PM
Lynx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FM Vs AM for cars?

The only real problem AM has over FM is it's a lot more susceptable to spark gap type interference, like refridgerators coming on, car ignition noise things like that. The general noise rejection isn't usually as good. I'd be more inclined to trust FM in an urban environement because of this. That's the theory, I've never actually used AM before though so I couldn't tell you if those problems actually manifest on today's transmitters.