Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

10X Tx shuts down????

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 10:04 PM
ebd
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10X Tx shuts down????

Today I went flying and I am lucky to have my plane. I have a 10X about 1 year old or so. I flew a couple of minutes and needed to lean the engine so I decided to land and adjust it. Well this turned out to be the best thing I have done lately!!!
As I was trying to move the throttle trim up I notice that nothing was happening so I moved the throttle up and nothing. I looked down at the screen and it was blank.
No, it was not left out in the sun. it was blank and dead.
I turned it off then back on but nothing.
I took it back to the pit and checked the battery and it read 10.6v on a volt meter. Then I turned it back on and it came on and everything looked OK.

Needless to say I did not fly again but I left it on and it never shut down again, (by it's self).

Has this happened to any one else?

If so, what was it?

This radio is in my new turbine and it ain't fly'in till I know.

It goes back to JR Monday

Thanks
Eldon
Old 05-20-2002, 12:25 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Scarey Dude

You're doing right by sending it in. Especially since you can't duplicate the problem. They're the worst kind. I'm curious to find out what it was. I just got one of those and am interested to know what you find. Thanks_bob
Old 05-20-2002, 01:04 AM
Lee Belew
My Feedback: (2)

Default Transmitter shut down

Check the fuse holder and make sure it making good solid contact on both ends. You may need to remove the back cover. Ran into this problem numbers of times.
Old 05-20-2002, 03:00 AM
ebd

This may be a stupid question but,
Will my warranty be voided if I remove the back cover and start doing work on the radio?
A friend told me the fuse was under the module but it ain't.
I have tried many times this evening to make it do it again and it won't.
Hope they find something because I can't trust this radio again if they don't.

Eldon
Texas :spinnyeye
Old 05-20-2002, 03:48 AM
Lee Belew

Default Transmitter shutdown

The first time I ran into this problem was with my transmitter. How I found the problem. I turned the tx on, struck the tx pretty firm with the heal of my other hand. The tx would either turn off or the opposit of the way it was or the display would flicker. If this does not occur with yours definately send it in. They don't like for you to work on the tx. I have always been the inquisitive one. So I just remove the rear cover to have a look.
Most of the problems with the fuse holder that I have ran into, about 10, Were after the owner had replaced the fuse. You can blow the fuse if you plug a field charger and it turned on and the tx is turned on. as I remember two had never blown the fuse. All of the one that I have seen would react to the shock test mentioned above. When Mine acted up the first time (i've been in R/C for 35 yrs) I was flying I immediately performed the shock test . The tx came back, I immediately landed, cleaned out my pants and wiped the sweat from my forehead. I drew a crowd becaues I was the only one flying I was doing a very large loop. I was at the top of the loop and everyone saw the plane go whack-O.
If you are not comfortable with remove the rear cover then do not. send it to Horizon.
The problem explained here I have seen with the 10x, 8103, 652 etc. for anyone who reads this, you must be confortable looking inside your Txor just simply do not do it. Good Luck
Old 05-20-2002, 03:44 PM
MyStar-RCU

Eldon,

I heard JR/Horizon has a 'silent recall' for the 10X radio concerning the LCD display.

Don
Old 05-20-2002, 03:57 PM
ebd

MyStar,
Before I ask them about this. Do you have any concrete info to back it up so I don't piss them off?

Thanks
Eldon
Old 05-20-2002, 04:00 PM
bob_nj

Default SHHHhhhhh...

How far back does this silent recall go?
Old 05-20-2002, 05:37 PM
MyStar-RCU

Eldon,

I read about it on one of the R/C forums unfortuntely, I can't remember which forum that was. Here are the two other forums I freqently visit you can try searching:

www.runryder.com
www.rotory.com

Tipically, I only read threads that are one to two months old unless I'm searching for something specific.

I do remember reading the problem/recall has to do with a screw or a blob of plastic putting *pressure* on the LCD, thus making it fail to work properly.

bob_nj,

I have no idea, but I read about it within the last month if that helps you any.

Guys, if you like, I can e-mail a buddy of mine who owns a 10X and ask him about the silent recall as he usually is up to date on everything concerning the 10X radio?

Don
Old 05-20-2002, 10:44 PM
ebd

MyStar,
If you could it would help, and thanks for everything.
Eldon
Old 05-22-2002, 12:03 AM
MyStar-RCU

Eldon,

Your welcome...glad to help!

I just sent my buddy an e-mail on your behalf. I'll let you know what he says as soon I hear back from him.

Don
Old 05-23-2002, 02:24 AM
MyStar-RCU

Eldon,

I heard back from my buddy; he said he wasn't aware of a 10X recall. He advised me to call Horizon and ask for David Poole as he (David) is the manager for the radio tech support department. And so, I called Horizon and asked David about this so called 'silent recall'. David said there is no silent recall however, he said the reason I read a post about a recall might be because Horizon has replaced a few LCD's under warranty and it was believed the 6 screws holding the LCD were too tight causing the LCD to not work properly. The only other current problem with the LCD are a few cases were the screen has a black spot, usually seen in the left-hand corner, which Horizon is also replacing under warranty and has sent those bad LCD's to JR of Japan for evaluation.

David was very nice and told me if you have any questions feel free to call Horizon and ask for him.

I reread your original post. Because you noticed the throttle servo didn't move at the same time your screen went blank, and your TX battery still had 10.6 volts, it sounds like your problem might be a loose connection with the fuse holder. If you don't feel comfortable taking the back cover off your radio and checking for a loose fuse holder, or you find that's not the problem, the best thing would be for you to send your radio to Horizon.

Don
Old 05-24-2002, 09:49 AM
Aero65

I had it happen to me too a few years ago I think it was a 10S. Exact same failure mode. I was flying my Yellow F-4 (OS91) for the 7 or 8 time and all I heard was a beep ... no control beep ... enough time to turn away from people... beep dead. F-4 buried in at full throttle into asphalt. (I had not yet set the failsafe correctly) Luckly no one was hurt. After the crash turned tx off then on and it came back like nothing happened. Sent it in to Horizon got a bill for $180 ish still did it on the bench. So I opened up the back and found a chip on the board seemed not completely seated so i pushed it in, and tested it and it didnt happen again. I could not trust that tx again so after testing it a few times I just shelved it. I still like JR and have bought a 10sx since and plan to get a 10x later. Just a weird glich Im just glad no one got hurt. And I now test all my new radios on combat spads or gliders first.

Duke
Old 05-24-2002, 01:03 PM
bob_nj

Default Hey Aero65

I have a nice SX for sale here ->
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...highlight=10sx]
Old 05-28-2002, 03:05 AM
ebd

Aero65
I have since sent mine back with a letter explaining what happened and also that I would not accept it back if a definite problem was not found. I lost a ultra stick 120 a couple of weeks before this problem and never really knew why. It just turned straight for the ground and destroyed alsmost everything. I now think it was the same problem.
I will post a new tread once I get it back.
Thanks to all
Eldon
Old 05-28-2002, 03:30 AM
oldradiogy

Default Transmitter shutdown

You had some excellent responses on your post, but there was one additional prevention measure that I wanted to pass on. There is a product called OX-GUARD (probably some other similar products out there) that I use on all of my fuse connections. You can get it at your local Radio Shack store. It looks like a medium weight grease, but has properties that prevent corrosion, help with conductivity, and also serves to help transfer heat from the fuse to the fuse connections, keeping the fuse connections cooler. In a nutshell, it prevents poor electrical contacts in the fuse holder. It can also be used on battery cases with spring loaded battery contacts. It really helps a lot and has totally eliminated contact problems in my fuse holders and battery cases. Use it sparingly to prevent making a mess, just a light coat is all that's required.

Hope you found the problem with your transmitter.

Bruce
Old 05-29-2002, 01:06 AM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Default 10X

Hi Guy's:
There is a problem with the screen. On some of the radio's it was found that the screen was to tight inside the TX what is happening is that the presure from the surrounding electronics is pushing on the screen and blanking it out. This is happened to two of my friends. I do not know of a silent recall-------but JR sure knows about it. Also you need to check your antenna were it screws to the radio, my friend lost a plane because the screw on the inside of the radio had come lose and lost contact with the antenna. And then there is the fuse thing on the charger, Hope this helps.

David Reifer
Old 05-29-2002, 03:04 AM
ebd

WOW!! I did not know that one of the best radios in the world had so many problems. My problem was the radio shuts off totally!
I think, but don't know yet, that it is the fuse.
I hope they find something for sure because I need to be able to trust this radio.
I will post when JR sends it back to me.
Thanks
Eldon
Old 05-29-2002, 03:40 AM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Default 10X

You are welcome Eldon-----------Its still a great radio