Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

4.8v or 6.0v...that is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 11:27 PM
barlows

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8v or 6.0v...that is the question.

Guys,

I'm building a 29% AW Edge, and have some questions about Rx batteries. I'm trying to understand what the positives and negatives are for using a 6.0v battery for the Rx. I'd also like to have some recommendations on what mA rating I need.

I'm using;
3 Hitec 5945 digitals for ailerons and rudder
2 JR 3421 digitals for elevators
1 Hitec 425BB for throttle
Hitec 8 channel SuperSlim Rx

Also, I've heard about voltage regulators being needed for the 6.0v batteries. What's the story on them?

As you can guess, it'll be a hardcore 3D ship, so high load will be the norm. Any help you can give will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 05-21-2002, 03:49 AM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

Default 4.8 or 6v

Hi Steve,

With the servos and receiver you're using, and the intended purpose of the plane, it would be silly not to run 6v. 6v makes the servo faster and more powerful. The benefits are basically free. The downside with 6v(if you can call it that) is the servo life will be shorter, but it will not be significant, and realistically can be ignored, also a battery of a given capacity at 6v will not last as long as a 4.8v one.

You do not need to run a regulator for the receiver or servos. In fact running a regulator will just rob you of some of the benefit of going to 6v. Some servos (8411's as an example) tend to get jittery with a fully charged 6v pack, so some people run regulators with them.

What capacity should you run with your setup? Are you running dual batteries? How critical is weight for your plane?

If weight is important run 1650 MAH Nimh's(which it should be if you're doing primarily 3D). If not, run a 2700MAH Nimh's. If you're running dual batteries, run 2 1650's.

I typically with run the smaller battery to save weight and take to the field one or two extra charged packs. I hate waiting at the field for packs to charge. Also, make sure and monitor the packs after each flight so you know and learn how many flights you can safely get out of them.
Old 05-21-2002, 02:26 PM
barlows

Default Charger ??

Bill,

Thanks. I'm looking at some niMh packs now. It seems like the 2700 isn't too much of a weight sacrifice (roughly 1 ounce-ish). I wouldn't mind that, I can save it back somewhere else.

What about chargers? I know niMh are a lot more sensative to overcharging. Is there a specific brand that is the standard on chargers?

Steve
Old 05-21-2002, 03:55 PM
bpryor
My Feedback: (45)

Default Chargers

>>What about chargers?

Buy any name-brand charger that is intended to charge Nimh's and you'll be fine. I use the Hobbico Accu-cycle and it works great for Nicad and Nimh's. There are many that will do the job, it all depends on how many bells and whistles you want and how much you want to spend.
Old 05-21-2002, 11:39 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: 4.8v or 6.0v...that is the question.

Originally posted by barlows
Guys,

I'm building a 29% AW Edge, and have some questions about Rx batteries. I'm trying to understand what the positives and negatives are for using a 6.0v battery for the Rx. I'd also like to have some recommendations on what mA rating I need.

I'm using;
3 Hitec 5945 digitals for ailerons and rudder
2 JR 3421 digitals for elevators
1 Hitec 425BB for throttle
Hitec 8 channel SuperSlim Rx

Also, I've heard about voltage regulators being needed for the 6.0v batteries. What's the story on them?

As you can guess, it'll be a hardcore 3D ship, so high load will be the norm. Any help you can give will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

You should check to see if the Hitec reciever uses a regulated output voltage on the signal wire that is too low (like 3.3 volts or something)

You may not have control of the JR servos if the signal level is not close enough to the supply level of the servos.

Same problem faced with Futaba RX and JR servo and 5 cell pack
Old 05-22-2002, 01:40 AM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default 4.8v or 6.0v...that is the question.

you are going to love that edge, i fly mine with a 21 x 10 menz on a 3.2 brison and all 8411 except throttle. 'With over 240 flights, I have a durlight on mine (110 flights on that battery). I will be switching that out here soon to go to a nmi battery. The plane is very at home when it comes to 3d, Make sure you have plenty of power on that rudder servo it want to do knife edge loops. talk at you soon gerald