Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

standard vs hi-torque servos in a bipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 04:36 PM
Patriot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default standard vs hi-torque servos in a bipe

I am building an 80" bipe weighing in around 20 lbs with a Saito 300 twin up front. This is the first plane this size I have built. I am wondering whether or not it really is ok to use the Futaba s3010 standard Hi-Torque servos which give about 70+ ozs. I was looking at the digital servos and they are at least twice as expensive for the same rating in torque. I am not going to be doing competition or pattern type flying with this thing, just sport aerobatics for fun, not even 3D.
So I guess what I am asking is, are expensive digital servos really necessary for just average flying rather than something serious? Or is it really risky to use standard design servos, thus requiring the use of the really expensive digitals?
I keep thinking I will just stick with the standard hi-torque since I am on a bit of a budget. But, I just wanted your thoughts as well.

Patriot
Old 01-04-2004, 04:54 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: standard vs hi-torque servos in a bipe

Patriot,
I'll answer your question this way. 5 years ago there weren't any digital servos. A biplanes with a Saito 300 flew just fine then. I think for sport flying you'll not see that much difference between digital and good quality analogs.
John
Old 01-04-2004, 05:04 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: standard vs hi-torque servos in a bipe

I would think you would be OK with the standard servos. I fly bipes in that size range and I have used standard servos. I have switched to digital servos lately to help prevent flutter. I guess it depends on the size of the ailerons. I have a 72" Weeks special that I have standard servos with the top wing ailerons slaved to the bottom wing. (two servos for four ailerons) It uses a G-45 for power.
I recently finished a 84" Fly Baby bipe and have Hitec 5625 digitals on the bottom wing and standard servos on the top wing. It seems to fly OK but it does not have a great roll rate