Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Grand Wing Servos information

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 09:39 PM
Jetset
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Grand Wing Servos information

I am seeing these servos a lot on Ebay. Anyone have any comments on them at all?

Title of item: TWO NEW RC SERVOS.EACH SERVO 111oz TORQUE 2BB
Seller: memoryway
Starts: Jan-03-04 18:00:00 PST
Ends: Jan-06-04 18:00:00 PST
Price: Starts at $24.50

I think maybe I've only seen GWS servos in mini and micro sizes. Comments anyone?
Thanks!
Myles
Old 01-06-2004, 12:38 AM
koi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Grand Wing Servos information

The GWS servos are not new to industry. They have been well known for many moons but for reasons that make sence they are heavy into the nich of electric flight. Thats why many folks place them in the electric catagory and assume that there is no other.

Thats not correct or valid, they make servos of all sizes and torque to speed ratios. From the Pico servo to the giants from the marine to the coreless as [link]http://www.servohut.com[/link] has illustrated. If the price is lower than standard, some of us think they must be cheap or not good enough yet we all go to Waltmart for a better deal....hummmm whats wrong with this picture?

Here is a link to the GWS servo section which should help formulate an opinion of where these folks are headed.[link]http://www.gws.com.tw/english/product/servo/servo.htm[/link]

Then on to Servo Hut to get a feel for the pricing.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:12 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

I've been using their giant servos with no problems at all. I'm about to send off for a dozen of their S062BB (100oz+ torque) to use in my regular size planes.
They work well and are sensibly priced (unless someone wants to explain to me why another servo that does the same thing and costing over $100/ea is sensible?).

Highflight
Old 01-06-2004, 01:55 PM
Kenny R

I bought a set of GWS s03txf 2bb sevos and installed them in a 60 size cap232. They were plenty strong and fast was well pleased.

I had been flying the model for a couple weeks, and was doing an inverted flat spin when i lost all elevator control...needless to say i lost the plane. Just like evryone else i wanted to know what happened. When i got to the plane the elvator linkage was still hooked up...hrmm. so i checked the elevator servo and it would do nothing. When i got home i took the servo apart and found the soldered connections look like they were soldered by a 2 year old. The ground wire from the servo lead had come unsoldered, and this is what caused my crash, I took the cases of the other servos to inspect and they looked about like the one that caused me to crash.

So my question is are they all like this or did i just get a bad set? I guess this does say something for gws's quality control. I'm not saying there good or bad, just might want to inspect them first.

The walmart anology.......got a buddy who works for a major supplier of automotive parts for Ford motor corporation. They had an order of 1 million parts that were refused by Ford becasue they didnt pass their quality control standards....so what do you do with 1million parts that arent acceptable? Well, i'll tell ya....you call Wal-Mart and they will buy everyone one of them, and sell them to you!

BTW the assembly line that was making these parts had been moved to Mexico, but since this mess up has been moved back to the USA.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:35 PM
Jetset

ORIGINAL: Highflight-RCU

I've been using their giant servos with no problems at all. I'm about to send off for a dozen of their S062BB (100oz+ torque) to use in my regular size planes.
They work well and are sensibly priced (unless someone wants to explain to me why another servo that does the same thing and costing over $100/ea is sensible?).

Highflight
Hey, I guess that's what I'm asking! I was thinking about getting four of them for my BD5-two for flaps and two for ailerons.
Myles
Old 01-06-2004, 10:59 PM
memoryway

I have sold several thousand of these GWS servos on both our web site and on ebay. With the exception of one negative feed back, they have all proven worthy of competing in the RC world. Look at my feed back at ebay and email those that have purchased them also note the repeat sales. In quantity the information obtained will be a valuable tool to assist you in deciding.

With a concern of how anything performs it would be best to gather statistics on the issue and not just an opinion. Over the years I have had many different makes and models of RC equipment and I have had good luck on all of them. However there is no manufacturer that can say that they are flawless and one can search right here on RC Universe to confirm that fact. Here again we gather statistics not just an opinion.

If you have practiced this hobby long enough and have dared to venture, you will have had your airplane eat dirt. Though not fun it is part of risk management and should be acknowledged as an acceptable risk. Getting the best is not always spending the most. Not being able to keep up with the Jones budget is not a good reason not to enjoy this hobby. From foamy to giants the thrill of this hobby is the same. Thanks to web sites like this we can share the good and the bad to keep our learning curve in motion.

I’m sorry to hear that the lost of plane was in his opinion a poor adhesion of wires, but had that been the common factor GWS would have failed many years ago. Today they remind me of the Futaba growing pains when Kraft and others were king of the hill.

[email protected]
Old 01-06-2004, 11:07 PM
memoryway

One more thing on those servos in question. Do not let torque drive you to buying them, speed can be as important an issue as torque. Those servos are .33 in speed , fine for flaps but if you like snappy manuvers they won't give you what you want on the wing!
[email protected]
Old 01-07-2004, 05:03 AM
Jetset

Hi memoryway,
Thanks posting here!
I too have lost a plane due to servo failure of a popular brand servo. Opened it up a saw a disconnected wire.
Looks like these servos would be a good for the flaps my project!
Thank for the info on here and on my e-mail!
Myles
Old 01-07-2004, 06:12 AM
Highflight

ORIGINAL: memoryway

One more thing on those servos in question. Do not let torque drive you to buying them, speed can be as important an issue as torque. Those servos are .33 in speed , fine for flaps but if you like snappy manuvers they won't give you what you want on the wing!
[email protected]
This might be funny to some, but here I am, a consumer, disagreeing with a distributor that's bashing their own product (in effect).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought that the speed of a servo is given in decimals of a second over a 60 degree arc.
Now, .33 is just a number, but that translates to just 1/3 of a SECOND. If you time your seconds by counting out loud "One Thousand one, one thousand two,...", then a third of a second is at the "One thou" mark.
That means that you're getting full deflection, stop to stop, over a 60 degree arc so I think you're looking at some pretty quick action at .33/sec.

I very much understand the specs and that some servos spec out faster or slower than others, but we're still looking at "quick" no matter what. I think my whole point here is that for 96% of the flyers out there, virtually ANY servo would be faster than actually needed for the TYPICAL kind of flying those modelers do.

The only exceptions I can think of where servo speed might be nit-picky important are 3D and perhaps jets and airbatic helicopters. But for any scale or sport aircraft (that's my arbitrary 96% ), I just don't think speed makes any real difference whether on flaps, ailerons or tail feathers. In fact, if you think about it, a lot of pilots get themselves into trouble because they "hammer" the sticks when they get nervous and treat the four main control sticks like on-off switches. Technically speaking, that's the time when those servos are doing what they're told, except that they're TOO fast to keep the pilot out of trouble.

In short, Mr. Bigshot Memoryway who doesn't think your servos are fast enough for anything but flaps, your GWS servos work VERY well for anything I've used them for, so take your business elsewhere if you don't like the way GWS servos work... oh wait, I'M the customer. Never mind.

Highflight
Old 01-07-2004, 08:04 AM
memoryway

I am not bashing any servo or person here. I simply state that there are speeds to deal with when selecting a servo. You may not opinion that there is no difference to the eye or feel but many will differ with that. That’s not obvious to you and I’ll respect your opinion. The servos that I termed slow are simply slower than say a .10, that aircraft against my car will confirm that.

By the way I’m not a big shot, just a guy chatting here just like you and I’m hoping that you do not take offence because none is in mind.
[email protected]
Old 01-07-2004, 09:05 AM
Kenny R

Question for MemoryWay? I was looking at this link http://www.gws.com.tw/english/product/servo/servo.htm

I was looking at the microMG(it doesnt give a partnumber) 0n 6volt it has a speed of .14 and 890z's torque. This is a higher torque rating than most standard servos.

Do you think these servos would work on a 40 size 3d profile?would save about 2oz's for 4 servos.

Btw Im using my set of gws servos...i just done a little resoldering. They work just fine. Your right no company is perfect I've had a JR servoto fail also. You fly enough equipment failures will happen. Unfortunate but true.

Thanks, Kenny
Old 01-07-2004, 10:14 AM
memoryway

The Micro size servos we have are fairly small, metal geared servos which have a place in our servo library are very practical in some cases. However the saving of 2oz. on four servos on a forty sized aircraft is not much gain when you mention the 6 volt system which adds to your weight concerns. With 3D flying speed of travel is what most of us concern ourselves with while learning, required power is understood and I must assume that you have that power to weight ratio on hand already and can fly up and away from a vertical position.

Unless the smaller servos are critical to the needed application (gliders, fast electric) I would stay with the standard size servos with a good speed. In the future they can be used in a larger arena of aircraft, also gears, wheels and arms are readily available at reasonable prices.

Another point of interest on that forty sized aircraft is that unless you have some really radical control surfaces and combine them with high speed and control throw, 89oz.of pressure is not needed. Nice to have, but if need be we can live without that number.

Just food for thought!
[email protected]
Old 01-07-2004, 10:18 AM
Highflight

I'm sorry, I hoped my prodigious use of and 's made it clear that I was being facetious and not in any way attempting to, well, get in your face. I'm usually pretty good at humor in the print medium but I guess I didn't quite pull it off this time.

My only point was that, while there ARE differences in the speeds of various servos, most modelers wouldn't know the difference unless they are the kind of guys who like to "wring it out" and test the limits of their aircraft's design limits.
For most of us who just putt around the sky and sometimes do a loop or whatever, we never pay attention.

Highflight

ORIGINAL: memoryway

I am not bashing any servo or person here. I simply state that there are speeds to deal with when selecting a servo. You may not opinion that there is no difference to the eye or feel but many will differ with that. That’s not obvious to you and I’ll respect your opinion. The servos that I termed slow are simply slower than say a .10, that aircraft against my car will confirm that.

By the way I’m not a big shot, just a guy chatting here just like you and I’m hoping that you do not take offence because none is in mind.
[email protected]
Old 01-07-2004, 10:34 AM
memoryway

I’m not annoyed by the remarks. I just listen, learn and help when I can.
That’s what this site is about. Let's go fly!

Regards,
Vic
Old 01-07-2004, 12:21 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Just because you don't "wring it out" this season, doesn't mean that you won't be able to NEXT season
I bought 6 of the 100OZ servos on E_B_A_Y and I didn't check the speed...(I know, that was dumb) over a year ago. I then went to a plane to learn 3D on....33 is WAY too slow. I/3rd second one way, 1/3rd second back to center..1/3rd second the OTHER way and SO ON and you'll find that the plane won't respond even NEAR quick enough to recover from an adverse attitude or react as quick as you can during flight.

These servos are fine for a Spacewalker or Big Bingo...or Four Star 40/60/120 and other Sunday sport flyers...if you want PREFORMANCE, get the fastest servos VS torque you can find.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:10 PM
Highflight

Absolutely, my point exactly.

Highflight