Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Shilded wire as servo cable

Old 01-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Landi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shilded wire as servo cable

Hi Guys

I'm thinking to use shielded wires to hook up my servos on my new 20 foot sailplane does any one has experience with that. I think it will reduce the noise and interference but I'm not sure.

Saludos Landi
Old 01-06-2004, 02:53 PM
vinnie

Default RE: Shilded wire as servo cable

How, or to what, would you terminate the shields? How would you measure improvement - if any? Shielding is as likely to cause problems as it is to cure them. I'm guessing that if there were some benefit for other than for gas ignition systems, that the manufacturers would incorporate them. But hey, who knows?
Old 01-06-2004, 04:25 PM
Landi

Hi Vinie

Shileded wires are used in all kinds of electronic equipments from wiring PLC's, probes and so on. The shilded wires helps to avoid interfierences and to improve the control signal.

The manufacturesr may not use them because it will increase the cost.

Saludos Landi
Old 01-06-2004, 05:59 PM
Lynx

Depends entirly on what you ground the shield to, considering the low frequency low voltage nature of RC signals using shielded wire will provide you absolultly no benefit of any kind over standard wireing (as long as you wire it properly with high gage wireing for those extended runs etc.. maybe using a signal booster) Using shielded wire is an easy way of makeing an RC setup more complicated and prone to failure, and shielded wire can actually introduce a failure point if something producing noise comes into contact with your shielding ground it will actually increase the effect of that noise many times by giving it a nice efficiant conductor to travel through RIGHT next to your signal wires.