Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radios sitting for 2 years, resurection ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 02:41 PM
Hobbies for Fun
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radios sitting for 2 years, resurection ??'s

Ihave two radios, a Futaba 8uaf and a 6 channel Jr that have been sitting for 2-3 years.

They both will still turn on and are still holding a charge.

I want to go flying again.

What (desides charging them up, range testing them) do I need to do to them to ensure they are properly functioning?

also, anyone know where to get a JR radio charger? I lost my charger for my JR.

thanks

Chris
Old 01-15-2004, 02:56 PM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Radios sitting for 2 years, resurection ??'s

In general, it would be great if those radios have been sitting in your closet (in an air conditioned/heated house) rather than in your damp garage. Beyone that, I'd pop the backs off both of them and use a magnifying glass to look over the PCB and wires to see if there is any corrosion of any kind. If you find ANY, send it back for service (I like Radio South).

If they "look" good, don't just charge the batteries, cycle them several times and then note on the last cycle what you get for time. If the battery shows less than 90% of it's rated capacity (some will say 80%), replace it.

If they look good this far, don't just range check, range check THOROUGHLY! And be sure to range check to it's far limits with the antenna open only one section with both the motor not running AND then do it again running. You should also gingerly (but gently) slap the radio a few times while you're range checking as well.

If they look good all the way to here, I see no reason why not to fly.

Of course, the safest thing to do would be to replace the batteries just for grins and then send it in to be checked over, but that would end up costing probably at least $60+ each so you pays your money (or not) and takes your chances.

If all you're looking for is the basic JR wall wart, I would imagine that your local hobby shop would have them in stock.

Good luck,
Highflight
Old 01-18-2004, 11:20 PM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Radios sitting for 2 years, resurection ??'s

You can find one on e-bay for cheap, I seen this one so do a search there for item number 3170492466 Can't put a link because it is not allowed by RCU because the see e-bay to be compittion for there selling section.

Dauntae