Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

rudder gyro

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 06:05 PM
crownvic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rudder gyro

Ihave GP PITTS ARF with a G 45 and 20x8 prop this plane is very difficult for me on take off .was wondering if a gyro on the rudder would help me ?

thanks for any input
lonnie
Old 01-17-2004, 02:01 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: rudder gyro

It's a Pitts, I don't think there's any helping it

You're coming to the meeting tomorrow, right?
Old 01-17-2004, 09:12 AM
crownvic

see you at the meeting. i hope the weather is flyable!
Old 01-18-2004, 01:12 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Get that Zero gear fixed up? Sure is a fun airplane.

Anyway, being serious (so hard for me). I'm pretty anti-gyro. People that are around me alot know this. BUT, it would definatly dampen down your takeoff roll.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:39 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

A >properly> set up gyro certainly would keep your take off runs straight, but I am also one of those people who don't like to use gyros.
A lot of the fun of this hobby is learning and getting good at flying, and your only problem may be that you are in the front side of the learning curve about compensating for torque and P-factor on take off, especially with an aircraft like the short-coupled Pitts.

A couple things to consider are:
1. Is it possible that you don't have enough available rudder? If so, a gyro wouldn't help anyway.
2. Try flying a lesser twitchy kind of airplane and strive for PERFECTLY STRAIGHT takeoffs. I'll bet that if you were to fly, for example, a Spacewalker (type) aircraft, you don't have too much trouble. But I'll also bet that if you are very self critical of your own takeoffs with it, they may take off fine, but you might notice some slight wandering before rotation indicating that you aren't quite "nailing" your rudder control. Practicing with a lesser twitchy aircraft until you get it perfect might help you with the Pitts.

Highflight