Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Fuel soaked rx

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 12:34 PM
R Plante

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel soaked rx

After 20+ yrs it finally happened. I was given a trainer (8yrs old) that had never been flown so I donated it to the club along with an older airtronics vanguard radio I don't use anymore.Went over the plane replaced the fuel lines etc but didn't pull the tank out. Out to the field we went Borrowed fuel from a buddy Started engine but this thing sure used up the fuel . refueled it and noticed fuel running down the landing gear.
Drained the fuel out of the plane pulled the tank foam battery rx out of the plane everything was wet . I opened the rx blew the fuel off the rx wiped out the case and left open to the air.

What do I use to clean the rx or is it okay ? I haven't tried it since it happened (last night). What are the chances I ruined it?
Would electrical contact cleaner work on the servo plugs to remove the oily residue. The rx was only damp it didn't get soaked like the bottom of the plane which was an easy cleanup.

Thanks for your help
Randy
Old 05-27-2002, 07:36 PM
ec121k

Default Clean it

Fuel is mostly alcohol and oil. I doubt you hurt anything. Spray clean it real good and dry it with some gentle compressed air. Function and range check it and go for it.

Regards,
Tony
Old 05-28-2002, 02:02 AM
Wonder
My Feedback: (7)

Default Fuel soaked rx

Randy,

Use short burst when spraying electrical contact cleaner!!!
This stuff comes out of the can supper cold, it can freeze and crack plastic if you spray to much at once.

Good luck,
Tim
Old 05-28-2002, 02:24 AM
Lee Belew
My Feedback: (2)

Default Fuel soaked Rx

There is probably nothing wrong with the receiver. To be sure. Spray the soaked items with WD40 and let them dry for approx. 24 hrs. If nothing has not already been ruined this will clear everything else up.
Interesting note: I have a friend who is a fishing guide in the gulf of Mexico. If they get salt water in a piece of electronic gear. they spray it throughly wid WD40 and let it dry for 24 hours. Most of the time thy will work after this treatment.
During my 35 years in R/C I have fuel soaked a few servos and receiver. I usually wash them in soapy water and let them dry. The WD40 Method works well. also.
Lee
Old 05-28-2002, 07:20 AM
ec121k

Default Fuel soaked rx

Better to use LPS-1 if you want to coat it instead of that WD stuff. LPS-1 does not have chloride in it. WD displaces water but did you ever wonder what makes it penetrate and loosen rusted screws???

I'd just use the contact cleaner.