Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Opinions on 9ZAS WC2

Old 05-29-2002, 08:56 PM
Dennis Michael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on 9ZAS WC2

I will soon be purchasing a new radio for my Turbine Jet and I am leaning toward the Futaba 9ZAS WC2. If anyone out there has any experience using this radio good or bad I would greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 05-29-2002, 09:12 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dennis

I have been using the 9Z's with fixed wing and helo's for many years, no complaints from me. The Z's have the ability to do nearly anything asked of them. I like the flexibility the frequency synthesizer offers and the CAMPAC modules for additional model data storage and transferring programs to other 9Z's. These features are user friendly and usable at the field without any additional equipment.

I also have JR 's 10X, no complaints on this one either, although it is limited in programming and switch assignment. No synthesized capability. Data can be downloaded with a patch cord to another 10X and there is a DataSafe component available which allows you to utilize a computer to store model programs on. Not quite as user friendly, but it works.
Old 05-29-2002, 09:24 PM
Dennis Michael

Thanks Michael, I have been a Futaba Guy for the past 25 years. I have had the lower end radios so The JR 10X looks tempting but as you said less flexibility, My main concern is over all reliability, and the reliability of the frequency synthesizer.

Thanks Again,

Dennis
Old 05-29-2002, 09:42 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by mglavin

Data can be downloaded with a patch cord to another 10X and there is a DataSafe component available which allows you to utilize a computer to store model programs on. Not quite as user friendly, but it works.

You can transfer models between a pair of 9Z's with a trainer cord. No Datasafe but a CAMPac allows 16 more models (depending on # of conditions).
Old 05-30-2002, 03:10 AM
Airwurthy
My Feedback: (2)

Default Synth module

Dennis,

The WC2 is indeed a great radio albeit, not perfect. I have the synth module as well, the worst part? It does not communicate with all futaba compatible receivers. Its, how we shall say, "picky". It will chat with a hitec Feather but not a dual conversion FMA, go figure. The rest of the radio is supreme. I had a 10X once, the touch screen is not as cool/user friendly as it sounds IMHO. Just my $.02.
Old 05-30-2002, 04:01 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Synth module

Originally posted by Airwurthy
Dennis,

The WC2 is indeed a great radio albeit, not perfect. I have the synth module as well, the worst part? It does not communicate with all futaba compatible receivers. Its, how we shall say, "picky". It will chat with a hitec Feather but not a dual conversion FMA, go figure. The rest of the radio is supreme. I had a 10X once, the touch screen is not as cool/user friendly as it sounds IMHO. Just my $.02.
Good and accurate point o n the (Z not communicating with all compatible Futaba RX's, i.e. FMA, HiTec and I'm sure others. It's not the synthesizer its the pulse width if I recall correctly that Futaba use's. What happens is the RX can see the signal buts acts like mixes and unusual rate and travel adjustments have been programmed on some if not all channels. NOTE: this is only realized with NON-Futaba RX's ...

The problem is also easily remedied by a knowledgeable LICENSED RADIO TECH. By replacing a single resistor in the suspect RX. It's my understanding that the tolerances on various electronic components very greatly and this the cause and affect this anomaly. Tighter specifications/tolerances on the aftermarket OEM equipment would eliminate this. As an example I have probably over 25 HiTec RX's of these and the models range throughout the HiTec line, nine of them required the resistor replacement, thereafter they work perfect.