Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Polk Tracker II vs. Hitec Eclips 7 with Spectra

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 08:22 PM
Rick Lindsey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polk Tracker II vs. Hitec Eclips 7 with Spectra

Hi all, I'm thinking about a synthesized tx as my second radio, and was wondering what people thought about the tracker and the eclipse? I really like the idea behind the evo multiplex, but alas, i don't have that kind of cash. (Actually, i don't have any cash, but I'm going to learn to fly on my old system before I buy another radio)

How do the Eclipse with Spectra and Tracker compare? Ease of use, ease of programming, can I get the mixes i will want/need easily? They seem to be in the same vague price-realm. I kind of like the idea of being buddy-cord compatible with other folks, since I suspect I'll want to be buddied up for the first few flights of my next few planes, but I can always do the "pass the transmitter" game with a puppy-dog-eyed request,"will you take my shiny new plane up and trim it out, but please please please don't crash it?".

thanks,
Rick Lindsey
Old 02-02-2004, 09:26 AM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Polk Tracker II vs. Hitec Eclips 7 with Spectra

Hi;You have kind of a tough decision there!They are both good radios I think.That is from the standpoint of a sport flyer.I don't know how to use the mixes so cna't tell you much on that.I use both radios!Although in theory you shouldn't need 2 radios but like the backup if one quits can always put the other on the channel.Otherwise if your radio has to go back for repairs etc you are dead!I th9ink Hi-tecs manual is much easier to inturpet than Polks.Once figured out I think the Tracker programs easier.For insdtance when looking for a plane in program,I can go into tracker and push each number will tell me channel.To check this on the Hi=tec takes couple on-off etc .I know there is much mixing etc available on them but hear it is not of the same caliber as some of the high end futabas etc.The Tracker is definitely bigger and heavier than the Hi-tec,I use a tray so not a problem.Like the manual trims on the tracker hate the little beeping electronic ones on the Hi-tec.In the end they are both very nice units!Any problems I have had with the Tracker have been do to my trouble understanding there manualGuess would say if you have any questions on the tracker talk to Jon Gill at Polk or go to there site here o RCU they are listed with the other mfgs.Also with tracker have to remember to hit the SAVE button after making changes or they are gone and you start over,not necessary on the Hi-tec.Aslo Spectra have to take out and manually change the channels none electropnically on the Tracker.Also remember the Re that will go to any other radio and channel too.I think it is the greatest,no more crystal controled receivers these will be all I use from now on.THink that has to be the future of radios with crowded field etc,with the whole system you can just pick an open channel and go to it.Could do the same using spectra and the seeker re.to!Good luck.Bob Moodie
Old 02-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Rick Lindsey

Yeah, the seeker seems pretty cool, but it doesn't really factor into my decision since, as you said, I can use a seeker rx with either transmitter. Also, I see myself going in a direction that will require micro receivers (1/2A and slope soaring) so I'm not sure how much use I would get out of seeker rx's anyways. I've been wondering how hard it is to swap out the rx's, though, so that I could just bring a handful of receivers to the field, and install the appropriate one depending on channel availability. Unfortunately alot of the EPP slope-soarers seem to have buried rx's.

Thanks for your insight!!

-Rick
Old 02-02-2004, 11:29 PM
moodier

You mentioned min equip they are also coming out with a syntesised[sp] mini recevier I just asked they said will be a little while yet although they had one at Ontario and looked good I believe same price as the seeker is.Again you might talk to Jon Gill as I believe he is into gliders too so might be able to give some hints regard the equip.Good Luck!
Old 02-03-2004, 11:20 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

Forget the Tracker; you will HIGHLY regret it, especially if you are short of cash. You'd be throwing away $275 (like I did) and then buy a GOOD radio which means you'd have the cost of the nice radio PLUS the $275 you wasted on the Tracker before you got good one. That's not cheap in anyone's book.

The Eclips is a good and proven radio, but I don't like the way frequencies are selected, ie, mechanically with a screwdriver. I much prefer to be able to do it in the software as is done with the Tracker or the EVO.

My advice is to save up for the EVO9/synth at about $420. That may seem like a lot more than the $275 for the Tracker, but look at it this way: No matter what, you'd HAVE to spend that first $275 anyway which means that the EVO is really only $145 more than the Tracker. And with the EVO, it will be the last radio you'll ever need or want considering it's capabilities. Now THAT'S "cheap" in the long run.

If you can read through the Multiplex EVO thread in rcgroups and NOT be totally sold on the EVO (at ANY price), then you might as well just get the Tracker.

Highflight
Old 02-04-2004, 03:43 PM
MustangFan

I have been looking for a synth radio also.
Given the choices above, I would go with the Hitec Radio with spectra and the Polk receiver.
Not sure I like the Tracker II programming on their transmitter.
However, if you don't need a lot of mixing capability, the Tracker II is a good choice ... and priced right .... and you get a scanner.
Having said all this ... I don't think I'm helping you much.[]

I have a 9CAP and am waiting on the synth transmitter module, then I will purchase either a POLK or multiplex receiver.
My other choice is the EVO system from multiplex, but both of these choices will be costly.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:02 PM
SwampFlier-RCU

I second the Hitec TX and Polk Rx motion
Old 02-04-2004, 11:35 PM
moodier

I have both units and have taken to using the tracker almost exclusively now.I still feel that it is easier to program than the spectra but that is probably a personal thing.Every problem I have had with the tracker has been my own errors!I'm not into 3D etc just a sport flyer who wants to be able to change channels and use the computer set ups.I would question if either one of these would be suitable for the serious stunt type flyer who has to mix every function!Still like the ability to change channels on the screen of the tracker without being in position to shoot down anyone.The spectra leads itself to being on the air without you knowing what channel unless you take out the module and lookStill .Scares me to see people turn them on with the module in place.The tracker has the ability to go on and check channel without going on the air,I think that is important! The receiver is the greatest!!!Still think they are both good units,Will always have 2 radios for backup as don't like having all eggs in one basket!Good luck.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:30 AM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Changing the channel in the program of the Tracker is a lot easier than pulling out the rf section and turning a couple of dials. I have both and I really like my Tracker the best. The scanner part of it is almost worth the price of the radio. Price out a narrow band scanner.
RD
Old 02-05-2004, 08:47 AM
Whispers

My preference is for the eclipse, I have 3 planes that I regulary take to the field, on 3 different channels. All I do is dial the freq. to switch planes. Also programming is fairly straight foward. A good synsthized receiver is from either JR or Futaba (I can't remember which). Good luck with which ever you choose!
Old 02-05-2004, 09:10 AM
moodier

I have 10 different planes on my tracker now.I can go between planes with the push of one button to change the number.The Spectra I have to take out,change numbers,make sure you are holding it correct or will have numbers backwards,then have to turn on and off twice for each plane you view on the screen.Like them both but sure don't like the electronic trim on the HiTec!
Old 02-05-2004, 08:46 PM
Jean13704

ORIGINAL: rhd-RCU

Changing the channel in the program of the Tracker is a lot easier than pulling out the rf section and turning a couple of dials. I have both and I really like my Tracker the best. The scanner part of it is almost worth the price of the radio. Price out a narrow band scanner.
RD

Your right about the price of a scanner, I recently paid $250 for an RC Scan 7200. However, if you really want a scanner, its still a better deal than the Tracker II. The 7200 has several scanner functions that the Tracker does not.

I considered the Tracker II but after seeing all the bad experiences people had with it, decided that for me at least, it would be useless as a transmitter. And looking at the tracker as only a scanner, the 7200 is far better.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:55 PM
rhd-RCU

Can you fly a plane with your 7200?
Old 02-07-2004, 05:37 AM
Highflight

ORIGINAL: rhd-RCU

Can you fly a plane with your 7200?
No, but he can keep from crashing one which is more than you can say for the Tracker if you let the goofy trim issue confuse you [8D]

Highflight
Old 02-07-2004, 08:07 AM
moodier

Hi;Interested what the trim issue is??That is the feature I like much better than my Hitec,spectra?I hate those electronic trim clicks on the Hitec!Guess we all have our likes and dislikes,be a dull world if everyone liked the same things.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:09 AM
moodier

Oh;A thought do you mean the fact you have to rember to do the save when you get done setting trim,Ya;that is a little scary!
Old 02-07-2004, 09:20 AM
rhd-RCU

I haven't crashed one plane with my Tracker. Maybe it is the person on the sticks and not the transmitter?
Old 02-07-2004, 10:02 AM
Highflight

ORIGINAL: moodier

Oh;A thought do you mean the fact you have to rember to do the save when you get done setting trim,Ya;that is a little scary!
As a former owner of a Tracker and then quickly selling it in favor of an EVO12/synth, I guess I've gotten lazy by not having to save anything anymore at any time because whatever is set stays where you set it until you want to change it. And I'm I've gotten spoiled by not only trims being correctly saved for each model, but are also properly saved for EACH of the four different flight phases possible for each model.

And although I enjoyed the challenge the Tracker provided of being able to trim only one side of the elevator because the primary elevator channel trim would't trim the servo mixed with the elevator channel for the other side, I admit that I now don't miss that challenge.

And with the Tracker I had, it was great fun to save the aileron trim position setting only to have to reset it from scratch each time I turned the radio on because the radio wouldn't save the trim setting (for both sides) after it was turned off.

I do have to admit, however, that the EVO creates a battery management issue because you have to remember to charge it every month or so because the darn thing won't operate for less than 8 hours on a full charge.

Boy, I really miss that wonderful piece of electronic wizardry called a "Tracker".

What I WILL give the Tracker credit for is that it would be a great "basic" radio for most simple aircraft but when you get into any mixing, it'll make your life more, aah... interesting.

Highflight
Old 02-07-2004, 12:53 PM
outssider
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i also heard that what ever expo you choose for high/3d rates transfers over to low rates !!

that sounds really dumb to me !!![:'(] ..... is this true ??
Old 02-07-2004, 11:11 PM
Highflight

ORIGINAL: outssider

i also heard that what ever expo you choose for high/3d rates transfers over to low rates !!

that sounds really dumb to me !!![:'(] ..... is this true ??
I don't want to trash a product about which I do not have extensive knowledge, so I have to be honest here and admit that I got rid of my Tracker once I realized how amateur the programming was (see my above note). I had it for only about a month. While I didn't have it long enough to have extensive knowledge of the radio, I DID have it long enough to figure out it's basic (and serious) flaws.

Simply put, once I ran into the above problems, I put it back in the box and sold it as soon as possible so I really can't verify your question about expo rates crossing over.
I wouldn't have considered that a problem anyway since that would have been a "predictable" behavior and could be considered simply an intentional feature (whether you agree with it or not). It's the unpredictable, goofy, stuff that I became quickly disappointed with.

I am not nit-picking the Tracker; I'm talking about serious oversights and errant programming that few experienced modelers would intentionally choose as "features" in even a basic computer radio.

If you are experienced enough where you have questions about higher level programming, then you might want to pass on the Tracker.

Here's an example of what I mean with the EVO with regard to your question about expo settings:
When you set up a new model with the EVO, you go through all the settings you want to program into it including Expo and of course, Dual Rates, if you want them both on your model.

Now if you have both dual rates AND expo programmed for your model, the expo DOES carry over to all your dual rate settings (by the way, you can have up to 8 degrees of dual rates on the EVO, although I don't know why you would want to ).
Of course, only the "curve" of the expo carries over; it doesn't force the full throw of the servo into the dual rate.

But here's the thing: with the EVO, you can have up to 4 (four) Flight Phases. What that means is that once you have the model set up the way you want, you can then copy all the setting of the original Phase 1 into a 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) Flight Phase. Then you can change any or all the setting you want including NOT setting up Expo in the new Flight Phase.
So now if you want to fly with dual rates AND expo, you fly on Flight Phase 1. But if you want to fly your model exactly as you have been except WITHOUT expo, you just flip a switch (you can assign ANY switch for this) and you're suddenly flying your model in FLight Phase 2 which can be IDENTICAL in every way to your Flight Phase 1 EXCEPT for not using expo.

I regret that the explanation sounds complicated because setting up the EVO is anything BUT complicated.
There is a very important and profound difference between the EVO and every other radio out there (except for other Multiplex's), and that is that the programming of the EVO is VERY "free form" in the way that you can assign anything to anything and mix anything to anything. And you don't even have to do a "save" on your settings because once you've adjusted something, it stays the way you adjust it until you change it.

I hope this helps without adding confusion.

Highflight
Old 02-07-2004, 11:30 PM
moodier

Hi;Interesting this last post on the tracker!Hes so far over my head that I will never get to the point of worring about those things.I assume whatever he said is probably correct but tosome of us I have trouble figuring out how to set the dual rates let alone even think of all that mixing stuff.I Know some of us are pretty dumb when it comes to these exotic pieces of equip!As prices go it is pretty cheap,It allows me to have a dozen different planes and channels on it and be able to set the minimal things likeEPA and Subtrims.For those of you who know how to use all those fancy functions I would imagine you are probably correct about its shortcomings.I find it works very well for someone like me that only wants something that can fly a variety of planes and do simple acrobatics.I have no idea how to set up those fancy mixes and no desire to learn to use them.Guess it's good we all don't want to do the same things!
Old 02-08-2004, 01:55 PM
outssider
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Highflight ....

I had a chance to try a tracker at our field with a friends funtana!

I was so turned off by the feel of the gimbals (clickity clackity) i knew i wouldn't be happy with one ! did you notice this also??

I fly 3d and need a lot of different mixes.... most on switches....I have been looking to upgrade because my current computer radio is somewhat limited in this way.

I have more or less eliminated the evo because it's shape/size looks so much different than what i'm used too! I'm afraid I will lose a lot of time getting used to the new feel of one !!

only a very few at our field so getting my mitts on one may not be possible [&o]
Old 02-08-2004, 02:18 PM
Peter Khor

Well, worry about this on the tracker ... "Model #65" ... "hmmm, is that the cub or the P-51?" With all that 99 model memory you would've thot they would include alphanumeric naming capability, which is pretty much standard for a radio in that price range.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:30 PM
Highflight

No one who "needs a lot of different mixes" should be considering the Tracker. It's a beginners radio at best, and once you get beyond the most basic needs for model setup, you'll run into a wall. If you want to do mixes that will knock your socks off, it's the EVO you want to be working with. If the Tracker can't even trim a slaved elevator channel properly (the Tracker WON'T trim the slaved servo), how in the world is it going to work properly with complex mixes?

I did notice the "cheap" gimbals, but I understood going in that the Tracker was priced at the bottom end of the market so I tend not to nit-pick things that I knew that one had to accept as part of the price (cheap). It was the programming (or lack of it) that made me realize very quickly that I had made a big mistake when I bought it.

Your assumption about the EVO's shape and size couldn't be more wrong. After playing with it for only a few minutes, I found that I very much preferred the ergonomics of the case over any Futaba I've ever had. In fact, picking up a Futaba or JR now feels kind of "foreign" to me (no pun intended). It's also much lighter than I had expected. Certainly lighter than the Asian radios I have held.
There are deep wells in the back of the EVO case where your fingers fit into and when you pick up an EVO, it feels like you're putting on a pair of gloves. I'll never go back; this is probably the last radio I'll ever own unless Multiplex does something even MORE incredible.
After doing the research and reading user's comments and opinions of the EVO, I had VERY high expectations of what I thought the EVO would be when I put in my order for the EVO12/synth TX only. But when I GOT my EVO after 4 months on backorder, the radio EXCEEDED those expectations in every way. I think it's the EVO that should be sold with the slogan: "Any Other Way is Out of Date!", and not the Tracker.

Highflight

ORIGINAL: outssider

Highflight ....

I had a chance to try a tracker at our field with a friends funtana!

I was so turned off by the feel of the gimbals (clickity clackity) i knew i wouldn't be happy with one ! did you notice this also??

I fly 3d and need a lot of different mixes.... most on switches....I have been looking to upgrade because my current computer radio is somewhat limited in this way.

I have more or less eliminated the evo because it's shape/size looks so much different than what i'm used too! I'm afraid I will lose a lot of time getting used to the new feel of one !!

only a very few at our field so getting my mitts on one may not be possible [&o]
Old 02-08-2004, 06:40 PM
Highflight

On the EVO, you have up to 16 characters to name your models so you can usually use the full name of your model to name each of the 36 models (in the EVO12) or 20 models (in the EVO9).

Got a "Spacewalker II"? Well, that's what will show up when you choose that model in your EVO. In fact, that's only 14 characters (including the space in front of the "II"), so if a "Spacewalker IIII" ever comes out, you'll be able to use it's full name as opposed to something like "17" in the Tracker (Hmmm, now which model did I name "17"?)

Highflight

ORIGINAL: Peter Khor

Well, worry about this on the tracker ... "Model #65" ... "hmmm, is that the cub or the P-51?" With all that 99 model memory you would've thot they would include alphanumeric naming capability, which is pretty much standard for a radio in that price range.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.