Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo post extention

Old 02-03-2004, 10:00 PM
elevator_up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo post extention

I'm building a pan/tilt for a camera on my plane and can use your help.

For the pan/tilt you need 2 servos. In order to minimize the exterior drag I have one servo mounted inside the plane for horizontal pan and other servo outside the fuse for vertical tilt. The servo mounted inside the plane is mounted so that the post is sticking through a hole in the fuse (yes the servo is mounted upside-down). The other servo (the vertical tilt servo) outside would then be mounted to the horn of the first servo.

So the problem is that the servo stem/post of the one inside(sticking out) is too short to fully extend outside the fuse, so that I can attach a horn onto it and then the second servo, without it rubbing on the outside of the fuse. Is there a place I can buy a device that will basically extend the length of the post so that it is a little longer ?

I hope this is clear enough to understand.

Thanks
e-up !
Old 02-04-2004, 07:18 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Servo post extention

Why not flush mount the servo on the outside and not inside of your box?
Old 02-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Lynx

You don't want to make an extension for the posts that way, all the torque a servo creates goes through that point and making it longer will increase it's chances of breaking dramatically, you're better of redesigning it.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:16 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lynx gave you good advice; don't cantilever that much mass off of such a small cross section area, sure disaster.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:15 PM
Lynx

Why worry about aerodynamics? Design a plastic bubble for it. You could probably cut up a gerbil ball to use as a camera bubble. Keeps camera and servo's safer too.