Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Stupid radio.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2002, 01:54 AM
DeadMeat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid radio.

I have one of them newfangled Futaba T6XAS computer radios. I am currently learning to fly. So, I spend a lot of time on the buddy-box.

Now here is the part I don't understand. Why do you have to duplicate all the control settings on the slave radio? (Also T6XAS) I almost crashed because the elevator servo on the slave radio was not reversed like on the master. Why can't this super-duper CPU powered box use whatever settings are programmed into the master? It just boggles the mind.

Tom
Old 06-02-2002, 02:03 AM
redbluffwingnut
My Feedback: (2)

Default stupid raido

well not to be a smart a-- but your instructor need to go back to school and learn how to to a proper preflight your main raido is the puter and the buddy box is a dummy so it needs to be set the same way so it can follow like any dummy does
Old 06-02-2002, 02:28 AM
DeadMeat

Default Stupid radio.

That's not exactly what I am talking about. The only input the slave/dummy radio should have is left stick up, down, left, right etc... The master should figure out wheather the servo is reversed, where the subtrim is set, what the dual rate values are etc...

Instead we have to go thru the entire program menu and program all this stuff into the slave to get the two radios in sync. That is ludicrous.

Tom
Old 06-02-2002, 03:18 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Stupid radio.

Unless your using all 6 model memories on it, go in and set up one of those for your BBox. Then all you have to do is switch your model selection.

I believe that will work even with the power off for buddyboxing. Try it.
Old 06-02-2002, 03:52 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Default Stupid radio.

I take it the 6 is the master? Why not just write down the reversing info on the slave once you've got it set, and refer to it afterwards?

The radio might have a computer in it, but that doesn't mean it'll do everything for you.
Old 06-02-2002, 10:51 AM
ec121k

Default Stupid Radio???

To answer your question.

When you toggle between master and slave, you are switching between the two different encoders of the transmitters. These are the "brains" of the units and what you are actually programing to your airplane's characteristics. You leave the rf or radio frequency section alone so that you always operate on the master's rf section.

These radios do not "talk" to each other. They can not tell what the other one is set to. I'm sure it could be done given today's level of technology but not with a $100 transmitter. Ever look inside a T6Xas transmitter? Not much there. This is the entry level computer radio and even the top dollar ones don't have that capability.

Think of it this way. It would be the same as if you had two identical transmitters on the same freqency and you could switch between the two. One instructor and one student. Essentially this is what you have but both share the masters rf section.

Hope this helps some.

Tony
Old 06-02-2002, 11:24 AM
DeadMeat

Default Sorry...

I had a bad day yesterday.
This kind of radio setup just doesn't make sense to me. I am a software developer. So, this setup just looks halfbaked to me.

If the RX module is the only thing the two radios share, then copying the settings from one computer radio to another should be a one button operation. Say you want to move your airplanes from a T6XAS to your new 9CAF. All you should have to do is hook the two radios together with a cable and press the copy memory function on the 9CAF.

I work in the computer world every day. So my expectations of something with the word 'computer' are a little higher. At the moment computer radios have about the processing power of a $2.00 handheld calculator. But things can only get better.

Tom
Old 06-02-2002, 01:34 PM
DavidH

Default Stupid radio.

If you want to copy data from one TX to another TX via a cable get a Futaba 9Z or JR 10 X. Those two radios do that function.

Or you can get the Futaba 9C and use the Campac to copy to another 9C radio. There is radios out that have the capabilty, they are just more expensive due to being the top of the line.

David
Old 06-02-2002, 02:37 PM
phazernut

Default Stupid radio.

When a new student comes to me with a computer radio, I tell him to forget that it is a computer radio and to only change the servo reversing if necessary. That way a regular 4 channel trainer box can be used to train. All you have to do is match the servo reversing. I personally find it a pain to have to set up 1/2 of my radio's model memories for students planes that have computer radios in them.Besides getting the new student to set the plane up the old fashioned mechanical way makes them learn how to do it right the first time rather than just pressing buttons.