Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Coreless vs Cored For Sport Flying

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 06:06 PM
aegis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coreless vs Cored For Sport Flying

I don't want to start a feud, just get some opinions. Assuming equal published servo speed and equal voltage, is there a noticeable difference between coreless and cored servos for general sport flying? Thanks in advance for your input.

Dan
Old 02-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Jim Schwagle
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Coreless vs Cored For Sport Flying

For most general sport flying, I don't think you'll notice a difference.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Lynx

In the case of cored vs non-cored you can't asume equal values for torque and speed in the first place. Coreless won't hurt you, it won't help you significantly either. If you fly for 10 hours on cored servo's and 10 hours on compareable coreless servo's a VERY observant person might be able to feel the difference in a sport setup. Just makes you wish servo makers would most reliability statistics for their servo's. Then all these servo questions on here wouldn't be a problem.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:38 PM
aegis

I guess what I should have asked was that if I had a cored servo that listed 125 oz. of torque at .21 and a coreless servo with the same specs, is there a noticeable difference? Question has been answered by the replies. Thanks.

Dan
Old 02-08-2004, 08:00 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

"I guess what I should have asked was that if I had a cored servo that listed 125 oz. of torque at .21 and a coreless servo with the same specs, is there a noticeable difference? Question has been answered by the replies. Thanks."

in a sport plane for most flier's... NO you will not likely notice any difference...except your wallet being lighter If your a good pilot flying a pattern or precision/3D aerobat then yes you will absolutely notice the difference in centering and resolution.

John
Old 02-09-2004, 11:47 AM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You catagorize your question with Sport Flying. This is a subjective activity. If all you are doing is throwing your airplane around the sky (burning holes in the air) like most of us, then you will rarely notice the difference between a cored servo and a coreless servo with similar features.

If, however, you have multiply servos on the same control surface, IMHO, the coreless servo is probably easier to match. They will also give you a more consistent performance.

In the case of cored vs non-cored you can't asume equal values for torque and speed in the first place.
BTW, the poster above that hinted at coreless vs cored is not a good comparison is somewhat correct. Coreless servos are inherently associated with higher torque/higher speed than their cored equivalents (same servo electronics and gears, different motor). You can also expect the coreless servo to maintain a more accurate centering capability.

If you compare servos details you will find many servos with apparently the same electronics and motors but different torgue and speed ratings. This is simple physics and is controlled by the gear ratios. You can speed up a servo by changing gears but you will realize a decrease in torgue. You can increase the torgue by changing gears but you will realize a decrease in speed. Example: Hitec HS-5625 and Hitec HS-5645 -- these are identical servos with identical electronics and motors; they only differ in their gear ratios. Look at their specs and you can get an idea of the relationship between speed and torgue. HS-5625s are faster than the HS-5645s but the HS-5645s have more torgue than the HS-5625s.

Don't also forget that differences exist even among the cored servos. Those servos that use 5-pole ferrite motors are inherently smoother than those that use 3-pole ferrite motors.

BTW, given your question and my interpretation of Sports Flying, the cored servo with the same specs as the coreless servo is better because it is CHEAPER.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:27 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Coreless servos seem to respond faster and are more accurate.