Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Questions about Ham Band, 50Mhz, channels, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 11:36 PM
Eindecker_pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about Ham Band, 50Mhz, channels, etc.

I'm intrigued by the potential of operating on the 50Mhz band but I have questions:

1. What is the easiest way to get the necessary ham license?

2. What channel numbers are available on 50Mhz? Presumably I would still need to pick a channel number for use at the field....

3. Is it possible that if I'm flying on a 50Mhz band, that someone with a Ham Radio (using it for communication, not flying) could interfere with me?

Thanks!
Old 02-15-2004, 12:08 AM
Lynx

Default RE: Questions about Ham Band, 50Mhz, channels, etc.

The simplest license you can get is the technician grade license, which requires, basic electronics knowledge (capacitors, resistors, diodes and a basic understanding of ohms law) and some study on the uses of the ENTIRE spectrum. What can be used for what, when, why, by whom, what are proper operating procedures etc.. If you don't want the hassle, don't do it. If you do have your ham license, you can use ANY FREQUENCY not specifically allocated to something else for controlling your RC aircraft. You are however limited to 1 watt for controlling an RC vehicle. These are standard FCC rules. The only hardware you can buy pre-made use the 50mhz (RC spectrum) and they're generally 'safe' frequencies to use. 53mhz is where a lot of higher powered repeaters live though (many hundreds of watts) and at that power on those frequencies enough bleedover (even legal) power can be fatal. It's up to your local are to determine if the 50mhz systems are safe. As long as you don't have any high power repeters within a few miles you should be okay. 50mhz is not legally set aside for RC use, it's just a guideline, so some arsehole could hit you on accident powering a 5 watt voice channel on the same frequeny, but this virtually never happens. 50mhz is almost always safer than 72mhz or 75mhz. The only exclusion is the repeater issue, which you have to check out BEFORE you commit to 50mhz.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:37 PM
Eindecker_pilot

Thanks for the information!
Old 02-15-2004, 12:54 PM
The PIPE

Default Now to FIND "avoidable" repeaters...

Dear Eindecker_Pilot:

The PIPE here once more...and a CONFIRMED fan of six meter band flying, with a Ham license (callsign KA1ABG) ever since 1978!

There IS an ONLINE place, at http://www.artscipub.com/repeaters/ , where you CAN find possibly "offending" repeaters in your area in the USA...I found TWO 53 MHz repeaters in my area in Southeastern Massachusetts, thanks to that online list, and THAT convinced me to abandon 53 MHz for FLYING needs and go over to the 50 MHz band for my current Ham band flying needs instead...I had been out of RC from 1986 to 2001, and I'm JUST about to start flying on the six meter (50-54 MHz) Ham band again, with my all NEW Gordon Anderson MicroStar encodered owner-built eight channel SINGLE STICK 'knobby' radio (the first one of FIVE I'll be building for my needs) that I placed into service in September 2003, and THAT new radio is all set up to fly on Ch.03 (50.860 MHz) with one of the JUST recently discontinued (around Veteran's Day 2003) FMA FM "retrofit" RF decks!

For a LISTING of the channel numbers for 50 MHz, just head to http://www.modelaircraft.org/comp/frequency.htm and scroll down JUST past the halfway point down from the top...you'll find them listed there!

I STILL have two Ace RC 53 MHz AM RF decks from the 1977-1986 period I can still use, along with two Ace RC Silver Seven receivers EACH on those two frequencies (53.1 and 53.4 MHz-a total of FOUR receivers), but I'll most likely JUST use those for SURFACE needs only, like RC land yachts (RC ice boats with WHEELS instead of ice runners on them), for example, in the future.

Hope THESE links help you out, if you need them!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 02-15-2004, 12:57 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Use www.hamtestonline.com

Take it over and over until you can pass 5 times in a row at 80% or above. They explain your incorrect answers which helps immensly.

There are some memorization questions you can just skip and still pass. It helps if you know something about electronics.

I figure maybe 2 or 3, 2 hour sessions and you can pass. Build up to the night before you take the test.

I took it and then passed the general too, but I have not taken the code test yet.

My Futaba on 50 Mhz has more range than any radio I have ever tested, I think it is much closer to the legal limit than most 72 MHz rigs
Old 02-15-2004, 02:19 PM
apteryx

Having a ham license also means that you can legally "go into the unit" and change the frequency on 50Mhz or 53Mhz or between the two on the receiver/ transmitter and tune it up yourself, if you have the equipment.

The 50Mhz R/C segment has 20Khz fixed frequency spacing and is shared by hams using single sideband voice transmission which can be anywhere in the R/C band. The 53Mhz R/C segment has 100Khz fixed frequency spacing and is shared by ham FM repeaters on fixed frequency assignments as shown by the link "the Pipe" gave. 53Mhz repeaters are not that active in our area but you can always have good "skip" conditions which might cause interference in either R/C segment. Has anyone ever experienced 6m interference ?
I've looked at both R/C segments with a good antenna for several weekends and it all looks pretty quiet to me. I've detected two R/C
transmissions in that time and this city has at least 4 flying fields in the area.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:26 PM
kh6oo

I really think its a bad idea to JUST go for it for RC Flight. It is a hobby with many many things to do. Your
test may have one question about RC aircraft to the fact that you can do it on 50Mhz. I urge you to look into
it fully before jumping in. It may be very rewarding. It was to me but its not for everyone.

Check out these sites to see what its all about. (Note: I have not seen ONE dedicated to HAM RC's)

My website: http://kh6oo.uberstorm.net
Major Fourm (with the best practice tests): http://www.qrz.com
Major Fourm: http://www.eham.net
US Major Orginization (Ham Radios AMA): http://www.arrl.org
Major Ham Link Database: http://www.ac6v.com

If you decide it is for you. Drop me an email or PM. I will do everything I can to help you.