Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Dielectric grease

Old 02-17-2004, 07:29 PM
crownvic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dielectric grease

can i put this stuff in my tx then plug in the servos

thanks for any info LONNIE
Old 02-17-2004, 07:35 PM
wisdom-seeker

Default RE: Dielectric grease

Since when does one plug the servos into the TX? And there's nothing to grease in the RX. [sm=confused.gif]
Old 02-18-2004, 03:20 AM
Lynx

Yes you can, but why? You WILL hurt the resistance of the connectors, and may cause overheating at the connector point. What you want to do, is clean it with pure alcohol, or other non-corrosive non water based cleaner, and then if you're paranoid PAINT with a BRUSH some kind of non-conductive protective coating over the electronics of the reciever, NOT THE CONNECTORS. You want raw copper, (or gold) on the connectors.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:01 AM
crownvic

been having problems with dirty connections in my recievers.thought that mabey the dielectric grease would help .thought it was good for this problem? thought that cleaning with contact cleaner and putting in some grease would help . this must not be a good approach!

lonnie
Old 02-18-2004, 08:38 AM
IronCross

If were talking the same grease here the stuff your talking about is used to aid in the heat transfer between typically a transistor and a heat sink. Seems to me the grease would only collect more dust etc to foul up your contacts.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:46 AM
Red B.

Heavens no!
Dielectric materials in general are good insulators, i.e. they are very poor electrical conductors.
This is not the stuff you want on electrical contacts!

/Red B.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:35 PM
crownvic

should I then just spray out the RX with contact cleaner and blow it dry?

LONNIE thanks for info
Old 02-18-2004, 07:33 PM
Lynx

Denatured alcohol will work best as it's a good solvent and evaporates completly. That and compressed air will clean it out well enough.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:28 PM
crownvic

Thanks for your help Lynx and everone else who chipped in .I always thought that dielectric compound was a conducter of electricty.We always used it in the automotive field on all electrical connecters .Even used it on plug wires to stop corrosion

Thanks again for the help

LONNIE
Old 02-20-2004, 07:54 PM
jfangohr

Lonnie,

If the goal is to increase the electrical conductivity of the connectors then what you want is a product called Stabilant 22. I use it in the automotive field almost daily and use it on my receiver and servo connectors too. It provides the conductivity of a soldered joint when applied to any connector and does not bridge connector pins or circuits regardless of how you apply it. It's available (or can be ordered) at your local Napa store and is part # CE-1.

You can read all about it here:

http://www.stabilant.com.au/what_is_stabilant_22_.html

Regards,

John F.
Old 02-21-2004, 05:45 PM
Lynx

After reading up on that stuff a bit I'm stunned. I'm going to have to get some and try it out. It sounds like a magic cure all of a lot of connector problems.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:03 PM
2 Piece
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dielectric greese is an insulator, a non harding insulator. IMHO it can, and I have, used it on many connectors. Some, if not most, connector problems are caused by oxidation at the contact area. Dielectric greese can seal the contact area and help protect it from oxidation. If the connectors are in good shape to begin with, the addition of dielectric will not affect the connection.
2 Piece
Old 03-06-2004, 01:38 AM
Jeremyb574
My Feedback: (2)

2 PIECE SPEAKS THE TRUTH. (with the exception of the spelling of grease:-)

You will have a very difficult time finding any connection on a modern automobile that is not protected by dielectric grease. If the connections are gold plated, as most r/c electirical equipment is, there is no need for a dielectric compound because gold does not corrode. The dielectic is most likely unnecessary--but, won't hurt a thing!

Ironcross: The stuff your talking about is called heat-sink compound, or heat-transfer compoud, it is a thick white paste that does just what it sounds like it does. Not a good idea in this application as it could conceivably cause a type of shorted circuit.

When I wrenched for a living I used a product similar to what jfangohr speaks about, Contact OL from Wurth, this stuff was literally a panacea!

""been having problems with dirty connections in my recievers.thought that mabey the dielectric grease would help .thought it was good for this problem? thought that cleaning with contact cleaner and putting in some grease would help . this must not be a good approach!""

- shame on you for second guessing your experience!
Old 03-06-2004, 06:24 AM
will

Heatsink compound is dielectic. No chance of it causing a short in any application [8D]
Old 03-06-2004, 09:06 AM
IronCross

What will said.
Used because it will NOT short the transistor out....