Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spoileron Servo Matching

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 02:46 AM
8KCABrett
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoileron Servo Matching

I have a JR XF 622 and am using 2 Hitec HS-625MGs for a Spoileron setup. The travel adjustments were matched visually witht eh servos side by side, in the aileron mode they center and deflect properlly, but when I activate the spoilers one travels farther then the other, and despite my best attempts I don't seem to be able to change this. Is this a Transmitter side issue, or simply a bad/un-matched servo pair?
Old 02-22-2004, 02:56 AM
8KCABrett

Default RE: Spoileron Servo Matching

Well, I just had a friend bring over his set of 625MGs and I tried different servos with the same transmitter settings, It looks like its the Servos. I managed to get two that seem to have a similar response. Is this a typical thing, or is my servo damaged? (bought two nights ago)
Old 02-22-2004, 08:42 PM
vagent

Please read my question on "flaperon adjustment" (same main forum page where your initial question is). I have the same problem with flaperons--trying to use two servos for ailerons and using the "flaperon" option on the JR EF421EX radio. I found that when I swapped the connections to the receiver (not the servos) that the problem followed the "gear" channel. This told me it was not a "servo matching" issue. (And I changed servos too as an additional check) In my case the problem appears to be an inability to adjust the travel adjustment function for one of the ailerons--the one connected to the gear channel. I'm not familiar with your radio setups but in my case to use flaperons I had to send the aileron channel to one of the aileron servos and the gear channel to the other aileron servo. I used the travel adjustment on the "gear" channel to determine how much "flaps" I wanted, but that meant travel adjustment on that channel (the gear channel) was not available to adjust its aileron travel when in the "aileron mode". Additionally, when flaps were activated, the one aileron traveled more than the other, just as when the ailerons were activated one aileron traveled more than the other.

Check your travel in the aileron mode very carefully too -- the less travel you have the less the difference (and maybe less detectible as a difference). It appears that if I set my aileron travel adjustment to 100% (the same as the gear defaults too), then I may be able to use the setup, however, I wind up with more travel than the manufacturer suggests on the affected surfaces.

For example, I set the aileron for 5/16 inches travel up and down. When I measure one aileron, that is what I get. When I measure the other aileron it travels 8/16 (or 1/2 inch)

I hate to attribute this to the radio but it appears to be--mine is a 5-channel computerized radio, but I'm not sure how other radios would handle this either. My radio doesn't have dual rates, but I presume that if it did, my flaperons would work in a rate mode that traveled 100% and would not work in a rate mode that traveled less than 100%.

Keep me posted on anything you find out about this that might help me to .......

Thanks...........
Old 02-22-2004, 09:39 PM
Ed_Moorman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a 622, but on other JR's, you use channels 2 & 6 for flaps/spoilers. What I do is to set flaperons and set the flaps to move 100% with the elevator. Then I hold full down elevator and using the end point adjustment, set both flaps/spoilers exactly the same. Then I hold full up elevator and do the same. Once this is done for full travel, the spoiler movement is the same.

The problem comes when you try to match the 2 sides exactly one at a time and you can't see them side-by-side.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:45 PM
vagent

Default RE: Spoileron Servo Matching (in reply to Ed Moorman)

Ed,
Thanks for the info. My JR421EX is just an "entry level", 5-channel computerized radio and must be restricted in its capabilities. From your comments, I assume you are referring to a radio that has the ability to mix elevator and flaps ? ? ? The 421 can't. This makes me think about another thread in the forum "Beware of low priced computer radios",
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Bewa...radios%25/m_15
63104/tm.htm

It bedragles the woes of "entry level/inexpensive" computer radios. They just can't do all the things. However, I don't think they should imply things they can't do ........