Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

50 mhz radio thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 02:38 AM
kd5ils

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50 mhz radio thoughts

I am looking to purchase a new 6-8 channel radio. I would really like to use 50 mhz. I would prefer a pcm radio as well. I don't really want to spend more than 500.00 and would prefer to spend around 400. I would like programmable features. Basically, everything in one.......

I can't seem to find a clear answer when looking for a 50 mhz radio. Can I not just find a 50 mhz in stock somewhere or do they all have to be converted?

I would love your thoughts on my specs and what radios your think would fit my needs. It will be for airplane use.

Thanks a bunch in advance. I have been reading like crazy here trying to catch up what I have missed in the 10 years I have been out of the hobby. I am returning.
Old 06-07-2002, 06:04 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to the Tower Hobbies or Horizon Hobbies websites. I am sure that they will be glad to sell you all of the 50 MHz radios you want, without having to "convert" them.

The only sellers that have to "convert" them are the hobbyshops that are trying to sell you existing stock. That's no way to buy a 50 MHz radio.
Old 06-07-2002, 09:06 AM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend the Futaba 9C. I have looked at it to use in conjunction with my ACE MicroPro's. A friend of mind ordered one from Tower on 50 MHz with no problem.
Old 06-07-2002, 12:54 PM
kd5ils

Thanks, I never went so far as to select "Buy Now" on Tower's website thinking it would place it in the basket. When I clicked, it then showed me the availability of HAM freq's. I was just reading the descriptions to see if it supported 50 Mhz. This really opens the door. Thanks to all.
Old 06-07-2002, 08:33 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 50 MHz Radio

I fly JR (8103 presently) on 50 mHz. I usually order my stuff from Don's Hobby Shop since he keeps JR radios on 50 mHz in stock. He advertises in RCM. His phone is 800-972-6273.
Old 06-07-2002, 11:11 PM
Crash_N_Burn

I fly JR only because it is available on 53MHz. All I could find in Futaba was 50MHz. Maybe I didn't look well enough?

I like 53MHz as it is less congested here, as I suspect it is in most areas.

50MHz can be fairly active with ham repeaters, point-to-point, simplex, etc, but 53 is generally open (here).

Good luck!
Old 06-08-2002, 12:15 AM
widgeon

Hi Guy, Futaba does'nt make a radio on 50 mhz in PCM. PCM really is'nt neccessary on that band. A brand new Futaba 6XAS Super only sells for $250.00 complete with all the accessories. Welcome back, Widgeon KC2JFW, AMA 8093
Old 06-08-2002, 05:09 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Crash and burn, you have it backwards, the most repeaters are on the 53 MHz end of the 6 meter band. The 50 MHz area is quite open and most HAMs go the extra mile to NOT use those frequencies so as not to interupt the radio control guys. If you would check the Amerature Radio Handbook, this is explained for you.
Old 06-08-2002, 06:56 PM
Crash_N_Burn

Been a 20WPM Extra Class for over 40 years, but on HF, not VHF.

Asked the local VHF guys which was better up here and they felt that 53 had much less activity.

Hence, my choice. And I'm sticking with it.
Old 06-08-2002, 09:41 PM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dave, here is a link to an amateur radio repeater directory that is updated daily. I looked at your state (Oregon) and found that there are two repeaters: 53.29 mhz Portland, 53.01 mhz Waldport. Also looked in my state (Texas ) and found several repeaters in the 53 mhz band but did not find any on the 50 mhz part of the band. The reason that I got off the 53 mhz portion of the band was to go narrow band on the 50 mhz portion and to get away from potential repeater interference. I live in the DFW area and never have any problem with outside ham radio interference when using 50 mhz. I also find the 50 mhz band no more crowded than 53 mhz for R/C.

If you don't have a problem with 53 mhz then stick with it. However, by reviewing the repeater directory for your state, you will see that statistically you have a far greater chance of problems on 53 mhz. Also the fact that 53 mhz receivers are not nearly as selective (wide band) as 50 mhz receivers.

For anyone who is interested, go to the first page of the link and on the right side you can put in a frequency to search for such as 53.3. See how many hits that you get there. Now try 50.9 or 50.8 and see how many hits you get there. Surprising isn't it?

Ken
K5VYL since June 3 1959

http://www.artscipub.com/repeaters/
Old 06-08-2002, 10:02 PM
Crash_N_Burn

Hey, thanks Ken!

You know, it's been nine years since I made the choice but now that we are talking about it, it is starting to come back to me.....

Actually, as I remember, it wasn't ham interference on 50MHz, but a government station that was supposed to sit below (or above) the band that didn't. The guys told me it gave them fits as this mega-KW station drifted in-and-out of 50MHz. Broad-band and dirty as they described it.

I'm actually down in the extreme southern part of the state, so not much repeater activity on six, if any. There are many government agencies, state and federal that operate here, however, and I guess those were the ones that were killing DX on 50 (and RC fliers, too!).

Glad you brought this up, Ken, I think it will help the new guys decide on the band they should use.

I always ask the guys that are active near the band, and even have them sweep it for a while before I choose. Asking the hams at the field that are flying R/C is another good clue.

Thanks for your input, Ken, it is appreciated!

Dave, N7DKK
Old 06-08-2002, 10:24 PM
rthorne
My Feedback: (29)

Hello Fellas:

I purchased a JR 8103 from Don's Hobby shop last year on 50.84 mhz. I agree with Ken on the repeater outputs. 50mhz is probably a better choice.

If you go to horizon hobby's site you can build your own radio and find out which models are avialable on 50mhz.

50mhz won't be much of a concern in another year or so, i.e. other hams possibley using the same frequency. We are on the down side of the current solar cycle and activity on 6m will take a big nose dive until the next cycle starts up.

I use my current hf rig which has 6 meters to monitor my frequency on a regular basis. So far not a peep unless I turn on my 8103.

Old 06-09-2002, 12:04 AM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always use a monitor receiver . Good idea for any freq you are using.
Old 06-09-2002, 12:25 AM
Big_Bird

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dave & Rich I do feel that 50 mhz is overall the best choice for safety and certainly a lot safer than the 72 mhz with all of the pagers etc.

I thought that when the no code license came in that there would be a big influx of new people using the 6 meter ham band for R/C. However, this did not materialize. I guess that's why Hitec stopped selling ham R/C equipment. Not enough demand. I never have a problem when I visit another flying field with having to wait because someone else is on my frequency. It's almost virgin territory for R/C.

Hey Widgeon, you said: "Hi Guy, Futaba doesn't make a radio on 50 mhz in PCM. PCM really isn't neccessary on that band. Pulse Code Modulation (PCM) is a function of the encoder which is the base part of the radio. My 8UAF transmitter is capable of encoding either Pulse Position Modulation (PPM) or PCM. The plugin transmitter module then produces an FM signal using the selected modulation mode (PPM or PCM). The transmitter module doesn't care which. Your receiver sure does though. Are you saying that Futaba does not make a 50 mhz PCM receiver? As far as not needing PCM on 50 mhz, it is as much needed or not needed for the same reasons as it would be on the 72 mhz band. No difference.

Ken
Old 06-09-2002, 02:56 AM
jlchapman
My Feedback: (5)

Hey Widgeon, you said: "Hi Guy, Futaba doesn't make a radio on 50 mhz in PCM."

Well, I dont know where you get your information but I have in my hands a Futaba R149DP PCM rx on 50.590 channel 08. I also have one on channel 7.

Jerry
Old 06-09-2002, 01:59 PM
widgeon

Gentlemen, When I tried to order my new 6XAS on 50Mhz with a PCM Rx, my hobby dealer said it was'nt made . I guess he was misinformed and thus I stand corrected for spreading misinformation. Widgeon KC2JFW, AMA8093
Old 06-09-2002, 05:06 PM
pogo3033
My Feedback: (5)

Here's a good one for you, I have some Futaba's Super 7's and also the 8UAF and a couple of years ago purchased a JR 6 channel rcvr. on 50 mhz and used it with my Futaba Transmitters and it worked fine and still does. I liked the little rcvr. so pur-chased two more of them from Don's Hobbies in Kansas but neither one of them would work. According to Horizon they won't work with Futaba, when I asked them to explain why one that I had purchased from them did work, their comment was "it won't work" I posted that question on the web and got all kind of answers. Someone over in the UK told me it would work because the freq. shift on JR and Futaba was the same on 50mhz, but the end result is they didn't work so I sold the two receivers to someone that had JR Transmitter. I guess the one that worked for me must have been manufacturerd differently. Sometimes strange things happen!

K9GMJ