Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba Crystal Experiment...FMA Crystal

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 07:35 PM
CDignition
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba Crystal Experiment...FMA Crystal

I have a Futaba RX, and a FMA crystal...Im going to use a FMA Crystal in it...it works up close, but will range check..if I get 200 feet, Ill use it....anyone else try this??
Old 02-29-2004, 09:04 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Futaba Crystal Experiment...FMA Crystal

BAD IDEA, it may work fine then again it may not... even if it range checks fine on the ground is saving 10-15 bucks worth risking your plane?

John
Old 03-01-2004, 05:32 AM
CDignition

If it range checks fine, what could happen...and yes it is worth the risk, hee hee..
Old 03-01-2004, 08:11 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

NO! It is not worth the risk hee hee, You just might kill or seriously hurt someone, use the correct crystal
Old 03-01-2004, 10:15 AM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

your plane your life...Please do not risk the safety of others.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:02 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CDIgnition,
I went to your web site and saw a very, very nice car. Tell me, did you skimp on any safety equipment for that car? Doesn't look like you scrimped on anything. Is it worth saving $10.00 to $15.00 dollars for a crystal? Isn't the safety of your aircraft and other pilots worth your consideration? Your car looks very professional. Doesn't your other hobby deserve the same professionalism? These planes are not toys and don't deserve to be treated as such. People have been killed by them.

John
Old 03-01-2004, 08:18 PM
NavyE6FE

Just wanting to get more info, is there anything wrong with FMA crystals??? The only thing I thought you had to worry about with Futaba Rx and crystals is to make sure that the hi or lo band Rx & crystal match.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:27 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing is wrong with FMA crystals used in FMA receivers. Different manufactures use different design local oscillators so one manufactures brand is not necessarily compatible with another. Even if they appear to work they could be marginal. In fact it is a really bad idea to swap. Whose liable if a FMA crystal is discovered in a Futaba receiver? Crystal are so cheap, why take the risks?

John
Old 03-01-2004, 08:38 PM
Phil Cole

There is nothing wrong with FMA crystals. The issue is that crystals are not simple plug and play components like resistors and capacitors. Crystals are ground to match the circuit in which they are used. If FMA and Futaba happen to use the same oscillator circuit in their respective receivers then the FMA and Futaba crystals would be interchangeable.

The receiver will probably work at close range. It might work at full range. I'd be range testing the receiver to failure, and comparing the ranges with the different crystals, making sure that I used the same transmitter on the same channel for both tests. Try these tests with another transmitter on each adjacent channel as well.

These tests will be enough to get a comparative measure of the major receiver performance parameters: sensitivity, and adjacent channel rejection (bandwidth).
Old 03-01-2004, 09:29 PM
CDignition

I dont skimp on saftey in a racecar, as my can is strapped in it and going 150 MPH,lol... But this is just an experiment...

It failed range check, I only got about 80 feet away and it lost it good...this is using a Royal Evo 9 Multiplex TX...so no go,lol...

Thanks for everyones concern...Im not that reckless..
Old 03-02-2004, 08:37 AM
NavyE6FE

Thanks for the info! Ya learn something new everyday.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:30 AM
Mettler1

Thanks for the update. And I like the car. Something tells me you're having waaay too much fun!!!