Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Futaba 7CAF ..placing order monday morning...read...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 7CAF ..placing order monday morning...read...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Chris-_-Memphis
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 7CAF ..placing order monday morning...read...

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=000452778&I=LW9030**&P=K]Clicky[/link]

placing my order for this radio monday..anyone have any comments on it before i send it off? this is gonna be my second radio and i am only buying it b/c i hate my present four channel and i am getiing a 4*60 arf as soon as i get the loot and giving everything (including trainer) to my bro...
Old 03-06-2004, 05:26 PM
smokingcrater

Default RE: Futaba 7CAF ..placing order monday morning...read...

great radio from what I've heard. a majority of the features of the 9c without the limitations of the 6x series.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:06 PM
rudder fludder
My Feedback: (17)

Was thinking of getting one to! Will it take take module in back like 9c? or Hitecs synthiser work on IT? What does it not have that the 9c has? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-06-2004, 09:58 PM
zero244
My Feedback: (1)

I have this radio.......in fact I posted a unscientific review of this system. I really like it......for the money you cant go wrong. Lots of features...........and high quality.
This radio uses crystal........not a module for frequency. You also can not use a backup card for extra memory like on the 9C. It does have a 10 model memory which is more than I need. You can very easily backup your settings for one model into another memory slot. Which is nice if your if you just want a backup.......or your playing around with the settings and dont want to screw up what you have done so far.
Great Radio.........with the easy programming of the 9C.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:42 PM
wyflyer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Airshow

Was thinking of getting one to! Will it take take module in back like 9c? or Hitecs synthiser work on IT? What does it not have that the 9c has? Thanks in advance!
[link=http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/feature-compare.html]This[/link] is a comparison between all of Futaba's radios. The 7c and 9c are on the chart. You can compare them feature for feature.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:24 AM
Hangtime
My Feedback: (19)

I got a 9C last year.. agonized over it for awile before I took the plunge. Previous sets were a Airtronics Vision and a Super 7. Both good sets.. but time marches on.

Gotta say I just love the 9C.. I'm very happy.

Whats the $ diff between the 7 and 9 ?

It won't be too long before you'll wish you had the 9, I'm bettin.

Good luck on your upgrade!!!
Old 03-07-2004, 09:33 AM
Chris-_-Memphis

Hangtime: the price diff is Futaba 7CAF 7-Channel FM/4 S3004 Servos $249.99

Futaba 9CAP 9-Channel PCM/4 S3001 Servos w/CAMPac 16K $449.99

7 channels is more than enough for what i need ( and most others need) i just wanna fly[8D] i cant even imagine what i could put on my plane to use 9 channels[sm=spinnyeyes.gif].. but thanks for the comments.. i just think the 249 is wayyy better than spending 449 on 2 extra channels i wont use... or the extra 4 model memory... ill never have 14 working planes at one time..LOL
Old 03-07-2004, 12:00 PM
Hangtime

Wow, that IS a significant price difference!! I had no idea the street price had gotten so high on the 9c.. I think I paid about $70.00 less than that.. got it at my LHS to; he's a good guy and cut me a pretty good deal; I'm sure.

I don't use the the full 9 channels on anything but one of my giant warbirds and a couple of sailplanes.. but what I do use all the time are the triple rates, the multi-servo wing functions and the switch assiginability. Another feature I now use on all my gas models is 'idle-down', and 'start' features, and I love the throttle curve setup.. made my gas planes throttle response what I wanted for the first time ever, plus dead stick landings became far fewer. It's da lil things..

Prolly the biggest feature for me was the sailplane functionality.. made setting up some of my electrics a snap... and I was able to retire two radios with the purchase of one. A buddy of mine just got one a month back, same place, but he got just the Tx.. seemed like a dirt cheap price for such a fine radio. He sold the 6EXA he was replacing and softened the blow some more.

Bless yah and good luck.. the new 7 sounds like a great system!
Old 03-07-2004, 01:59 PM
Chris-_-Memphis

how am i gonna explain my 300+ order to my girlie[X(].. guess ill throw up her victoria secret shopping and how my youthfullness leads to me splurging...
Old 03-07-2004, 02:08 PM
Hangtime

Ahhhh, grasshopper, you are far wizer than your years already.

I used to tell my wife that the hobby kept me outta bars and away from stray women. I never griped when the closet had 37 pairs of shoes and the top shelf had 37 purses to match, but I never once hit on the idea of passing her a Victoria Secret gift certificate for every new purchase I made in the hobby.

I bow to your wisdom... I predict you will succeed in your endeavor, reaping rewards and kudo's from all your contemporaries. (thinking of the guy with the silly pasted on smile in the Enzac commercials)

Happy (*ahem*) Landings!
Old 03-07-2004, 02:31 PM
Chris-_-Memphis

LOL.. ill pitch it to her tonight..to windy to fly today..sucks[&o]
Old 03-17-2004, 09:28 AM
JohnC12
My Feedback: (4)

Hello Everyone-

I first want to say that I really like the 7C, however please take a look at my posting I posted in another string. For those who want to setup mulitiple servos through PMIX, beware.

I just recently purchased the 7C for my Great Planes Pitts Special. This plane requires the use of 4 servos in the wings and 2 servos in the elevator. I specifically purchased this radio so I could mix all these servos together. (Accroding to Futaba specs and the website, this radio can do this.) However, when I started setting up all the control surfaces, I found that I could mix channels 2 and 5 (elevator) and 1 and 7 (ailerons) though I couldnt get the slave servo to adjust with the trim tabs. Basiclly, I can only adjust one servo which is the master. I contacted Futaba Technical Support and they advised that it seems that the Futaba development team left out this feature on the 7C. (Though they said this is available on the 9C.) They advised they would look into this matter and get back to me later this week once they find out a solution. (Is there one?)

Zero- I see in your posting that you said this could be done using the 7C. Have you accomplished this task and if so, how? I'm at the end stages of building my Pitts and would like to take care of this problem without having to use Y-Harnesses.

I will update this posting once I hear back from Futaba, meanwhile I'd be a cautious buying this radio if you want to mix two servos together and have the ability to control the trims on both the master and slave servos.

Again, any help with this problem would be appreciated!
Old 03-18-2004, 01:15 PM
--={Luft}=--

ORIGINAL: JohnC12

Hello Everyone-

I first want to say that I really like the 7C, however please take a look at my posting I posted in another string. For those who want to setup mulitiple servos through PMIX, beware.

I just recently purchased the 7C for my Great Planes Pitts Special. This plane requires the use of 4 servos in the wings and 2 servos in the elevator. I specifically purchased this radio so I could mix all these servos together. (Accroding to Futaba specs and the website, this radio can do this.) However, when I started setting up all the control surfaces, I found that I could mix channels 2 and 5 (elevator) and 1 and 7 (ailerons) though I couldnt get the slave servo to adjust with the trim tabs. Basiclly, I can only adjust one servo which is the master. I contacted Futaba Technical Support and they advised that it seems that the Futaba development team left out this feature on the 7C. (Though they said this is available on the 9C.) They advised they would look into this matter and get back to me later this week once they find out a solution. (Is there one?)

Zero- I see in your posting that you said this could be done using the 7C. Have you accomplished this task and if so, how? I'm at the end stages of building my Pitts and would like to take care of this problem without having to use Y-Harnesses.

I will update this posting once I hear back from Futaba, meanwhile I'd be a cautious buying this radio if you want to mix two servos together and have the ability to control the trims on both the master and slave servos.

Again, any help with this problem would be appreciated!
Hallo John,

I am just about to buy the same tx, and i was woundering how important the feature that you described as a drawback is to a beginer who is just starting out??

Thank you...
Old 03-21-2004, 08:04 PM
zero244
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry I was misstaken on the slave servo trim..........it appears you cant adjust the trim on the slave servo.......which is a rather big drawback. I am thinking of sending this system back.
And you guessed it.........get a 9C.
Sorry guys if I mislead anyone........I was also mislead from the info on Futaba's Web Page.
I just assumed you could adjust the trim on both master and slave servos.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:12 PM
Bob101

ORIGINAL: zero244

Sorry I was misstaken on the slave servo trim..........it appears you cant adjust the trim on the slave servo.......which is a rather big drawback. I am thinking of sending this system back.
And you guessed it.........get a 9C.
Sorry guys if I mislead anyone........I was also mislead from the info on Futaba's Web Page.
I just assumed you could adjust the trim on both master and slave servos.

I was one of the first people to actually get my hands on a 6EXA when they came out last year. I was new to the hobby and picked it from their website according to the list of features. Problem was several of the "features" were non-existent including PCM (it's an FM only Tx). I sent them an e-mail and they changed the web in a few days.

Sounds like Futaba/Great Planes needs to go over their website with someone who's knowledable about the product.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:12 PM
JohnC12

Hello All,

As I mentioned in my previous post, I would update with any information I receive from Futaba. (Sorry for taking so long!!!) Here is what they have to say... I think I'm going with the 9C!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Hi JohnC12,

The 7C was designed to be an affordable computer radio, on the "order" of the 9C but actually taking the place of the 6X series radios. To be kept affordable, many options that the 9C offers were not designed into the radio. Unfortunately, the trim feature during mixing was one option. Trimming during mixing can be accomplished with any of the "synchronizers" or "matchboxes" that are available these days.

I hope you find this information helpful. You can also reach our Futaba support technical team at 217-398-8970, or via fax at 217-398-7721.

Sincerely,
Krysta
Lead Futaba Customer Service and Programming Technician
Also you may want to check our Website at (http://www.futaba-rc.com)
Old 05-06-2004, 07:04 PM
MikeL

I like how she said "to be kept affordable." That's marketing-speak for "we'd really prefer you bought our more expensive product."
Old 05-06-2004, 10:16 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Its also tech support speak for... we goofed... we know it.. we are not going to fix it. Inability to trim the "slave' servo when doing dual elevator servos is a huge error. If the mix is available... it should work right.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:37 PM
MikeL

Futaba always seems to have bugs in their products when first released. JR takes too long to get things to market, and Futaba seems not to take long enough. I didn't know that mix was available. That's pretty poor.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:33 AM
fritzthecat

Also don't forget about the potentially fatal (to the plane) software bug with the throttle stick activated timer.
In short, if you set the timer activation point on the throttle stick, the right aileron ATV sets itself to zero = no right aileron = crash.
I'd look for a used 9C, can't be much more than a new 7C.

Fritz