Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 8U question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 08:18 PM
Bob101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 8U question

I have been shopping for a more advaced radio than I current have (Fut. 6EXA) and had almost settled on just buying a new 9C but then a club member mentions he has an 8U for sale cheap.

I read the online manual but it's kinda hard to tell from just skimming the manual on a computer.

I think it will do what I want but the questions I couldn't answer are...

1. Will it do triple rates or just dual rates?
2. Can you assine the rate changes to a single switch instead of the rudder on 1 switch etc.. and another switch for aileronn?

That's about it.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2004, 09:23 PM
dickj
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Futaba 8U question

My 8UAFS radio has dual rates only. There are separate switchs for the aileron, elevator and rudder each of which have the capability to set D/Rates. You can also mix the various settings. I love my 8UAF but it is a little complex to setup till you get the hang of it. Not as simple as the 9C but still a very good raido. I now have no problems at all with it.

dickj
Old 03-08-2004, 12:28 AM
Spaceclam

it is a great radio. if you want to get to know the 8u i would say get the book called "getting the most out of your 8u" it has an index of all functions and explains them all unlike the manual. it makes it a lot easier to operate. true the 9c is easier to operate, but i love my 8u. it still has more functions than i will ever need (for a long while at least). you also have a lot of switch assignability. the 8u is a very versitile radio, although not as versitile as the 9c. however, if you look at all those government uav projects and they show a shot of the transmitter, guess which one it usually is. the 8u. i actually looked up video clips. the 8u has now been discontinued and it can be bought for cheap. there are two models. the 8u and the super 8. you can tell the difference by looking at the top part where the three knobs reside. if it is silver than it is the 8u. if it is black it is the super 8. the super 8 is a better radio with more mixers etc. you just have to decide wheather you need more than the 8u has or not. for most people, the 8u has more than they need and getting a 9c would be like buying digital servos for a cheap trainer. you will never notice a difference and it is more expensive. what exactly is your application?
Old 03-08-2004, 07:07 AM
CafeenMan

I have an 8UHP and love it. No triple rates, but you can assign dual rates and/or expo to any switch you want. I wouldn't buy a book to learn how to use it. It's not that difficult. It's the first and only computer radio I've owned and I had it figured out in a couple evenings by playing around with it.

If you're technically challenged then a book might be a good idea because the instructions are kind of lame. It's not that they are wrong, but they're hard to follow and tend to skip steps and explanations.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:33 AM
BaronSchwab

Ditto CafeenMan said what I would say. The 8u is also my first and last computer radio.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:26 AM
Spaceclam

it is easy to learn how to opperate it. however the book shows you all kinds of little tricks on how to get lttle obscure things done like how to reduce the atvs far below 30 all the way to 0% and such. it also shows you the schematic for making your own campac instead of paying $30 for one, it is only $5 in parts. iven if you are a technical prodigy i would buy the book. i am certainly not technically challenged and i found great use out of that book. however, i agree with you both in the fact that it will be my last computer radio. i made the mistake of getting a 6x earlier, and it just did not cut it.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:34 AM
CafeenMan

Spaceclam - I hope I did not give the impression that I am not recommending the book because of the book. I haven't ever read it. All I was saying is that a person can learn to use the radio competently by working with the radio. It does sound like the book has some good stuff in it from what you're saying.

Also, this was my first computer radio, but I doubt it will be my last. I'm seriously considering going to Multiplex systems. They sound like they have much more functionality than any of the other brands.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:38 AM
Spaceclam

i did not think you were. i was just reccomending the book becuase i have read it. although, yes. you can kinda get the hang of it by sittingdown and playing aroundwith it. theere are many different modes to it also.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:48 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a club member mentions he has an 8U for sale cheap.
How much is it going for ? Get an experienced club member to examine it for you
Old 03-08-2004, 06:16 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

If it is an 8U then pass.
If it is an 8U's then buy it.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:22 PM
Bob101

It's not that cheap, I've seen him fly with it on several occassions and he was my instructor. But when you have a 9Z and a 9C both I guess you really don't need an 8U anymore. He's just having a spring sale I guess of planes and radios.

The no triple rates is kinda a killer tho. I might just go 9C because I'm pretty sure I'll grow into it. Been flying for 6 months now and I've already got 5 planes with more in the works...
Old 03-08-2004, 06:27 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 9C is an excellent choice !
Old 03-08-2004, 08:39 PM
Freddy418
My Feedback: (5)

I urge you to go for it if it was a 8U Super
I have had mine for a while now and it has yet to say no to any of my projects.

As for cheap vs not cheap, the 9C is going for around 270 at most places so if you can grab the 8U for half of that price, then it's a great bargain.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:14 PM
Bob101

Doesn't really matter if it was free if it won't do what I want. The no triple rates is deal killer for me right now.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:38 PM
CafeenMan

Somebody please explain to me why anybody needs triple rates. I understand you want a super high rate for 3D, but why do you need two lesser rates?
Old 03-09-2004, 12:25 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I also can't understand the need for triple rates over double.

The 9c is not that expensive, so if you are not getting the 8U for half the price I would pass.

I have both, and enjoy both, but the 9c is quite a bit easier to program, and has a few more features that are worth having.
Old 03-09-2004, 12:54 AM
Spaceclam

well, i have yet to have a need for anything more than the 8u has. the 9c may not be an expensive radio, but at 13 it is a lot of allowance money. the 8u has more than i need. if you get the book and look through it you will learn a lot about how much more you can get out of it even once you think you are done. by the way, the author of getting the most out of yoru 8u i believe wrote the manual for futaba so he knows this thing inside and out.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:56 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I have had a 8U, 8U's and I now have a 9C.
THe 8U's will do everything that the 9C can do with veryl little exception. 9C has three timers and the ablity to turn off the knobs without using a mix. It also has the triple rates which I don't think is a necessary requirement. You can do the same with expo to replace two of your three rates.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:08 AM
BaronSchwab

I recomend the 8U it is a good radio. Where does a guy find the special programming book?
Old 03-09-2004, 10:22 AM
Spaceclam

i don't know. i borrowed it from a friend. try looking it up on google or something
Old 03-09-2004, 11:20 AM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Hello Baron Schwab,
Try Tower Hobbies or Ebay, The price is between $5.00 or $10.00
or call directly
Book Title: GETTING THE MOST OUT OF FUTABA'S 8-CHANNEL RADIO CONTROL SYSTEM
By DON EDBERG
DYNAMIC MODELLING
4922 ROCHELLE AVENUE
IRVINE, CA. 92604-2941
phone: 1-888-770-1812 or 1-949-552- 1812

email : [email protected]
web page: http://www.flash.net/~dynamic3/

Good luck
NEDYOB
Old 03-09-2004, 02:12 PM
BaronSchwab

Is this it?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23482.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	109625  
Old 03-09-2004, 03:23 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Quality wise, the 8UAS and 9CAP are very equal, and nearly feature for feature. The 9C does have many "nicies" that the 8UAS doesn't though, and the one you pointed out is the switch selectable triple rate. I have 3 of my planes set up with that, and the rates are all one switch, so no fumbling, no reason, nothing except one switch controls the rate of my plane. Also, having owned both, I can say hands down, the 9C is by far easier, I can say this too from exp, as I was very proficient with the 8UA's as well. Just way more parameters with the 9CAP that are easier to reach.,and I'd pay the 270 again, actually paid more then that the first time. The 9C menu is almost like a mouse driven menu very easy to navigate compared to the 8UAS, although either one can be learned the 9C gets my vote.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:30 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

I've owned both. The 9C is head and shoulders above the 8U. Switch assignability is better, triple rates, sliders on the sides (great for flaps!), and lots easier programming. Buy the 9C, have no regrets.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:54 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Hi BARON SCHWAB,
Thats the right book, It has a great step by step proceedure from inital set up all the way up to programing dual elevators,Alerons. Just follow the book step by step all the way through.

I have both the Edberg book & the Harry Higley book (programing the 9C) and spent about two hours last night programing by new plane into both transmitters.

Both are great books and when you get the hang of it, its a breeze to set up a plane. Just keep useing the book for each plane set up and you won't forget anything.

NEDYOB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.