Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

9C and Flaps

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 01:45 PM
kh6oo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9C and Flaps

Almost finished with my GP Lanciar ES. I have been having a hard time
finding the info on how to program the radio for the flaps. It is a 7 channel
bird with a servo for each flap. What reciever channels/slots do I use for the flaps on the
Futaba 9C system? How do I program the radio to use them?
Old 03-11-2004, 02:02 PM
blue ice
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: 9C and Flaps

Right aileron channel 1
Left aileron channel 6
Then go into flaperon in menu and where it says "INH" change to on I think. You will need to dial in how much you want to go up and down. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:28 PM
kh6oo

Isn't that for using the ailerons as a speedbrake? That is all I can get out of the manual also. So were do I put the aileron control
connections? It is seven servos all together. Throttle, Rudder, Elevator, Right Aileron, Left Aileron, Right Flap, and Left Flap.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:55 PM
Phil Cole

The easy way is to use Y-cables to put both ailerons on channel 1, and both flaps on channel 6.

The aileron servos should be mounted as mirror images of each other so one aileron will go up when the other one goes down.
The flap servos are mounted in the same direction, so the flaps go up and down together.

I helped a friend set up his Lancair, and this is the way we did it.

Another way would be to use the aileron differential function. This puts the aileron servos on channels one and seven. The flaps still get the Y-cable on channel six. However the Lancair seems to fly nicely without any aileron differential, so I don't think you need go beyond the simple method I described first.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:32 PM
wyflyer
My Feedback: (7)

You should plug the servos in like this:
Channel 1- left aileron
Channel 2- elevator
Channel 3- throttle
Channel 4- rudder
Channel 5- left flap
Channel 6- right aileron
Channel 7- right flap

In the basic menu, go to aux-ch and put all the channels to null except channel 5. Assign channel five to the switch that you want to control the flaps. For this example I am using VR-A

Go into the advance menu and flaperon. Set the ailerons to the percentage that you want and set the flap at the bottem of the screen to 0.

Go to a programmable mix and make it look like this:

Mix>on
Mas>gear
Slv>aux1
Link>off
SW>any switch (It doesn't matter which switch you assign it to. Since the position is null, it makes it so the mix is always on.
Posi>null

Then go to the first page of the mix and enter in the percentage that you want the flaps to move.

Now when you move your aileron stick, the ailerons should work like normal. When you move the flap switch, the flaps will move the amount that you determined in the programmable mix.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, just ask.
Ryan
Old 03-11-2004, 05:58 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I would use 1&7 for ailerons and 6&5 for flaps.
This will allow you to use the built in functions in the radio.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:08 PM
wyflyer
My Feedback: (7)

That would work fine too. The way I said, you would be using the flaperon function with the flap half turned off and the way you said you would use the aileron differential function. They will both work fine.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:10 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can also use ch. 1 for left aileron, ch 7 for right aileron, and a "Y" connector in ch 6 for flaps. This set-up will still allow aileron differential if you like.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:32 AM
Geistware

If you want to use aileron differential that is try.
With Aileron Diff - OFF
and Flaperon - OFF
you can mix what you want have have benefits of flaps and 2 aileron channels.

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.
You can also use ch. 1 for left aileron, ch 7 for right aileron, and a "Y" connector in ch 6 for flaps. This set-up will still allow aileron differential if you like.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:26 PM
kh6oo

Ok, I have the ailero's connected to channel 1 with a Y and seem to be working. So now I can Y the flaps to 6 which seems that is the easy thing to do. So, that leaves setting them up. I am still a little confused on that.
Old 03-12-2004, 05:33 PM
kh6oo

OK, I also see the function to set the switch which I set ch. 6 to VR-E which seems like a logical choice, but what keeps it
from mirroring like ch.1 and telling it to go two diff ways?
Old 03-12-2004, 06:21 PM
Geistware

It will only take input from channel 1 if you turn on flaperons. Leave that off and it is seperate.
Remember, flaperons combine flaps and ailerons, hence the name.

ORIGINAL: kh6oo

OK, I also see the function to set the switch which I set ch. 6 to VR-E which seems like a logical choice, but what keeps it
Old 03-12-2004, 06:54 PM
kh6oo

OK, found flaperons and aileron-diff in menu. Does INH mean its OFF? I don't see anything that directly says off.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:04 PM
Geistware

Yep, I miss stated, INH is what I ment, not OFF!
I stand corrected.

OK, found flaperons and aileron-diff in menu. Does INH mean its OFF? I don't see anything that directly says off.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:18 PM
Phil Cole

The way the servos are arranged on the GP Lancair, you just have to use a Y-cable on the flap servos.

Look at the "Install the Flaps & Aileron Servo" section of the manual. The first photo in that section shows three servos with the output shaft on the left, and one servo with the shaft on the right. This is how the servos should look when they are in the wing if you could see through the servo covers.

The two aileron servos face in opposite directions, and this is what causes the ailerons to move in opposite directions. The flap servos both face the same way, so the flaps will move in the same direction when both flap servos get the same signal from the receiver.

GP arranged the servos in this way so you could just use Y-cables and not need any mixing. You could fly the Lancair with a simple five-channel radio.

If you want to put the flaps on a knob or slider, just use the AUX CH menu to assign ch. 6 to the knob or slider of your choice, then set the ATV so the flaps are fully up and fully down at the ends of the control travel.

You could assign ch 6. to a switch and do the same thing. Just set the ATV values to minimum before you start setting up so the servos don't bind on the linkage. Then increase the ATV until the flaps are in the correct position. If you want three-position flaps, configure ch 6 to operate from a three-position switch. Then set the middle position first, by using subtrim on ch. 6., followed by changing ATV to set the end points. 10° flaps works nicely for takeoff and 40° flap works well for landing.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:35 PM
kh6oo

Alright! Thanks for all the help. It is set up as stated above, and seems to work good. One last problem, they are uneven. Its like one flap starts downwords before the other. But its fine at all up or all down. Anywhere inbetween is off.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:14 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One last problem, they are uneven. Its like one flap starts downwords before the other.

That's probably due to the transmitter refresh rate going from the first channel to the last. The effect is unnoticeable in flight
Old 03-12-2004, 10:14 PM
kh6oo

even if the flaps are uneven?
Old 03-12-2004, 10:34 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom,

Now I understand your problem, this is nothing to do with the framerate (sorry for the error). This problem is probably similar to dual elevators etc. First, you have to check your mechanical linkages. Are the servo horns at 90 deg to the pushrod at neutral flaps ? Are your pushrods exactly the same length ? Are there any binding throughout the full throw ?
Old 03-13-2004, 10:38 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have wondered at the decision to use "INH" ( for Inhibited I guess) instead of "OFF".

If the mechanical linkages are identical (same control rod length, same servo horn and control horn holes) the difference in ailerons could be because the end points of one servo are different from the other (not to be confused with the sub-trims).
Old 03-15-2004, 02:01 PM
kh6oo

Charlie,

That seems like a logical reason, but I am not sure how to program in diff end-points when it is Y-split into one channel. Maybe I should just run it sep.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:54 PM
smokingcrater

try putting your flaps/flaperons on vr-d, it works really well since your left hand then activates the flaps while the right hand can worry about whatever happens to the plane after you activate... I also run my throttle trim/kill as the analog vr-e, really handy to set the throttle idle using that.