Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Mode 1 vs. Mode 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 11:31 AM
GadgetMann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mode 1 vs. Mode 2

Simple question, hard to find the answer. What is Mode 1 or Mode 2 mean in reference to transmitters?
Old 03-12-2004, 12:16 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Mode 1 vs. Mode 2

Mode 1: rudder/elevator on left stick, throttle/aileron on right stick

Mode 2: throttle/rudder on left stick, elevator/aileron on right stick

What I have seen is that many people who fly mode 1 can do very precision maneuvers with little training. Having the rudder and elevator on the same stick helps you to coordinate turns and maneuvers more easily. It forces you to fly with both hands. Mode two can make you lazy and fly with one hand unless you need to change the throttle setting. Fly the mode which is popular in your club. There's no right or wrong, both modes are OK, it's just a matter of practise
Old 03-12-2004, 12:21 PM
wisdom-seeker

This should answer any and all questions about transmitter modes.

http://www.macgregor.co.uk/faq/stick%20mode.jpg

Mode 2 is the most popular mode in the US. Mode 1 is most popular in Europe and Asia.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:57 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Mode 2 is a farly new mode popular in the USA over the past 25 years. It made transistion from rudder/elevator turns to aileron/elevator turns easier.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:06 AM
pichi

Friends...
I live in Europe (Spain) and the most popular mode is the Mode 2 (I use this), but some many people that use your left hand how a best hand, use mode 1.
Really, the way to imitate a real aircraft comander will be mode 1, becouse, in a real plane you have the throttle in the right hand, and the elevetor and aileron must to move with the left hand.
But...some war birds have it in the opposite way...but, you can do it like how you feel better...or like you was learned
Old 04-02-2004, 11:12 PM
Bob_Wilcox
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Geistware

Mode 2 is a farly new mode popular in the USA over the past 25 years. It made transistion from rudder/elevator turns to aileron/elevator turns easier.

Mode 1 was adopted because it was the most nature change from flying reed systems from the early 60s. My old reed transmitter had ailerons and rudder on the right side of the transmitter and throttle, elevator, elevator trim on the left. Since you use primarily ailerons and elevator, that was why the first proportionals had these controls separated. I like flying mode 1. No one wants to fly my plane
Old 04-03-2004, 04:20 AM
XJet
Banned

And a lot of the old (cheap) 2-channel sets (like those from Futaba) used to use two single-axis sticks so the primary turn control was on the right stick and the elevator was on the left. Mode 1 therefore, became the natural transition.

Of course now that mode-2 has become more popular in the USA, RC companies are now making more single-stick 2-3 channel transmitters like the Hitec Neon.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:08 PM
desert_rat

What does curtiss youngblood fly (Mode 1 or 2)?

(if he flies mode 1 im changin)
Old 04-21-2004, 07:50 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As has been mentioned, mode 1 came from the old reed sets that used toggle switches and bang-bang controls. Proportional control had not been developed at the time. You moved a toggle and you got full elevator or aileron. And you needed a channel for up elevator and another one for down elevator!

Mode 1 has other advantages from a human factors standpoint. For example, you decouple the roll-pitch commands. You can set a roll rate, and adjust it, with one hand, while making rudder and elevator corrections for aileron rolls, point rolls, slow rolls, rolling circles with the other hand. There is something to be said for that.

There are also 2 other modes, 3 & 4. Their definition varies depending on which radio you use. Mode 3 on JR and Multiplex is a left handed mode 2 with aileron-elevator on the left stick and rudder throttle on the right. I fly this mode as I am strongly left-handed dominant and flew control line for many years left-handed. Horizon will set new radios up for lefties if you ask. The Multiplex Royal Evo 12 has the settings in software. You just program in which ever mode you like and adjust the ratchet on the stick (both sticks have them available). Mode 4 is a left-handed mode 1 with aileron and throttle on the left and elevator and rudder on the right. I have seen some Europeans and Canadians flying this mode.

Earlier Futabas I have seen reversed the mode 3 & 4 definition.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:39 PM
ChuckA

ORIGINAL: Ed_Moorman

As has been mentioned, mode 1 came from the old reed sets that used toggle switches and bang-bang controls. Proportional control had not been developed at the time. You moved a toggle and you got full elevator or aileron. And you needed a channel for up elevator and another one for down elevator!

Mode 1 has other advantages from a human factors standpoint. For example, you decouple the roll-pitch commands. You can set a roll rate, and adjust it, with one hand, while making rudder and elevator corrections for aileron rolls, point rolls, slow rolls, rolling circles with the other hand. There is something to be said for that.
Mode 1 has a big disadvantage from the human factors standpoint unless you can use either hand equally well. My first proportional radio was mode 2 and I never did get correct rudder input on all four points of a four point roll. In 1971, I switched to single stick and my scores improved almost 10%. Alas Ace is out of business and Proline is long gone so I was forced to go back to mode 2. It has been a painful transition and I still am not as smooth as I was with the old Proline even with all the computer enhancements. My advice is if you can pat your stomach with one hand while rubbing your head with the other, then fly any mode you desire. Otherwise get as many controls on one stick as possible.