Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Water proof transmitter question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 09:01 PM
sirmombo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water proof transmitter question

I went to the flying field a couple of hours ago. It was mostly sunny when I took off, so I was wearing sunglasses. After a couple of minutes of flying, I felt a few drops and then the dam burst. It was like standing under a shower. The sky that I was watching the plane against was still partly sunny, but it was very dark directly overhead.

It's very hard trying to fly a plane with big drops of water on your sunglasses.

All the radio equipment in the place is sealed up pretty good, so I am not concerned about it, but the transmitter was getting pretty wet. I dried it off, it's a Futaba 9C, and it seems fine. There's no fogginess in the LCD screen and it looks like it's sealed up pretty well.

I did fly in the snow once with a Airtronics RD6000 and that LCD was fogged up afterwards. Futaba must do a better job of sealing their transmitters up, but the RD6000 dried out and still works fine.

How water repellent are transformers? Has anyone damaged one by flying in the rain?
Old 06-14-2002, 09:21 PM
robert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water proof transmitter question

Same thing happened to a guy at our field with a skysport 4. He thought that it was fine, after it dried off. He did a range check and all was going fine. After a while, it failed. he took a look inside, and saw some of the components rusted.
Poor lad!