Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

A Novice Question

Old 06-16-2002, 09:36 AM
arjunchopra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Novice Question

I am presently using a futaba Sky Sports 4 Channel FM RAdio & Receiver .

I would liek to know what is the advantage of using a Computr based radio .

Also , what is mixing and what purpose doesit serve .

Awaitign ur comments ?
Old 06-16-2002, 09:55 AM
JoeLem

First of all, there are many advantages to a computer radio andit depends on the radio you get as to the many features. However, the main advantages are these. 1) with a computer radio you can store the setting for different airplanes all on the one transmitter. The minimum # is 3 and some radios I have seen have over 10. 2) after you trim out an airplane in flight, you can save those trim settings so every time you fly that plane the trims are preset on the radio. 3) Servo mixing. you asked what mixing was. mixing is whenyou tell one servo to do something a second servo also does something. two of the most common mixing features are flap/elevator and rudder /aileron mixing. Also mixing is used extensively in heli operations. There are a lot more advantages and uses for computer radios but these are the basics for a beginner. Hope this helps some.
Old 06-16-2002, 10:22 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Advantages to computer radio:
1. Set-up of aircraft, setting control surface throws, setting end point adjustments of throws, servo reversing, etc...all done on transmitter screen, with use of the menu.

2. Model memory, usually 3 or more aircraft set-ups can be held in memory for nearly instant aircraft changes, using same transmitter. All info for individual aircraft is stored in it's memory. Advantage to this is only a flight-pack is needed for new aircraft, provided there's a place in memory for it. Also, some radios have unlimited memory available, by use of what is essentially a memory card.

3. Computer mixing, this allows for different set-ups for use of dual servos(such could be the case for ailerons, as example), and in doing so other channels within system can be "slaved" so to speak, to accommodate different servo combination's. Also, could be used to compensate for flight of aircraft, for specific maneuver's, such as snap rolls, knife edge flight, etc.. . Another example would be coupled controls, such as flaps/elevator, rudder/aileron, etc..

4. PPM/PCM selectable, on some models. This allows user to switch transmission modes of signal from either of 2 modes PPM(FM) or PCM. Only certain radios have this feature, most high end systems do though.

5. On screen programming, most, if not all settings for aircraft are done on screen, with simple navigation buttons on front panel of transmitter. This is accomplished once basic set-up is done on aircraft, using very standard settings. The adjustment factor is much broader with computer radio.

6. Digital system monitoring, in the way of battery voltage, trim position(some radios).

These are some of the more popular features I can think of. Generally, all set-ups are more precise, and much less trouble, and much less time consuming.

I've touched on mixing somewhat in my list, but essentially it allows for a broader adjustment/set-up of aircraft, and fine tuning of flight characteristics. Also used for advance set-ups for multi-servo installations.

I'm sure there's others out there that have something to add, as there's thousands of computer radios in use today, probably tens-of-thousands. I'd like to here some more on this too, this is a good question. I do hope this helps though. Thanks
Old 06-16-2002, 10:29 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

A major advantage is the de-coupling of controls and channels, of which mixing represents just one part. In your standard radio, each control on the Tx goes down one channel to one servo (2 servos on a Y lead still behave as one servo for travel and direction). With a computer you can send one control down several channels to several servos, or several controls down one channel to one servo. In the former case it means you can have 2 or 4 aileron servos, in the latter case it means you can have one servo doing 2 jobs, such as an elevon which is a combined elevator and aileron on a delta like the popular Twinjet. The better radios even allow you to choose which channels the controls are transmitted down, so you choose which sockets at the Rx each control comes out of instead of the sequence forced by the manufacturer. Maybe sounds a bit esoteric but it has its uses!

So why have 2 or more aileron servos using separate channels when you can just Y lead them? Using separate channels means each can be independently adjusted for direction (the plane's construction may not give you a choice of which way around to install the servo and linkage) and each can be adjusted and matched for travel. It also means that aileron differential can be implemented and adjusted in the computer, which is a lot easier than modifying mechanical linkages. The computer of course allows both to travel the same way rather than opposite, to act as flaps especially for wild manoeuvres with 3d flying.

Mixing can be a big help, like you can mix from rudder to aileron and rudder to elevator so that when you fly knife edge manoeuvres the model goes straight without your thumb fiddling around to find the neutral spot. This makes hesitation rolls, slow rolls, rolling circles a whole lot easier.

Harry
Old 06-16-2002, 05:43 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I know many people will get upset with what I am about to say but basically if you are going to fly and bore holes in the sky, a computer radio is not necessary. If you are going to attempt any type of precision flying, then a computer radio is a necessity.
Old 06-17-2002, 04:07 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

What Geistware said is true. For basic sport flying, you don't need a computer radio at all. Some might have one for convenience of the memory, if they have more then a few planes. Some might have it for convenience of set-up. If the RC bug bites hard, chances are most will end up with a computer radio, as more planes/helis come into picture.

Precision flying is another good reason to have one. Also, what I will call "advanced set-up", with such things as "elevons", "ailevators", aileron/flap mix, airbrake, etc,,, these are some set-up options that come with even entry level computer radios. Also, lets not forget the "exponential" adjustments. These are ever so important for anything extreme.

As example, I've moved into semi-advanced with the Futaba 9CAP, this is after using 6XA, 6XAS, 8UAS. Reason I wanted to advance, even beyond the 8U's, was for mixing purposes, for GiantScale applications. The 6XAS's are a good radio for a first
computer radio, and I used all the above for a long time. But as planes grew, radio demands also did. I could have used a 6XAS, or better yet 8UAS, but could'nt get the direct mixing I wanted, and would've had to "Y" connect several things. This leaves set-up options minimal. With 9C, it's nearly unlimited. I say nearly because there are radio's out that ARE unlimited in what you can mix and what you do. Totally selectable. However at my level, I won't need one for a looong time. The 9C had a reasonable price and fit me, and my wallet. I actually could fly the plane with an analog-sport radio. To get the maximum performance for what is hopefully an unlimited aerobatic airplane though, I chose the above route. It's something like...I wouldn't put $99 tires on a Corvette, if that's case, there's no need to have the Vette. Just my strange thinking. :stupid:

It's whatever your needs are. I've only used above for example as to why one might go with comp radio, and then go to next level comp radio. Hope this helps.
Old 06-17-2002, 05:10 PM
vinnie
My Feedback: (1)

MIXING?!

Do you want to be a Pilot, or a Progammer?
Do you want to add your own down-elevator with flaps or let the transmitter do it for you? Would you rather do a roll all by yourself or push a button and let the radio do it? How about moving that "other" stick left and right for turns and knife-edge etc.

Be a Pilot

But servo travel adj, reversing, model-memory, digital trims etc. are all worthwhile. But be a PILOT first.