Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Crystal Confusion.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 01:01 PM
Lonewolf9757
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crystal Confusion.....

Hello,

I am a little confused on crystals and need some help. I have the following Tx and Rx and need to get them to work together.

Tx Futaba Skysport 6YG-FM72, Channel 11, 72.010

Rx FP-R148DF Duel Conversion FM Reciever, Channel 18, 72.150

I'd like to get a new set of crystals, but I'm confused about all the HIGH/LOW, SINGLE/DUEL, ect, ect.... Do I need to get Futaba Crystals, or would Jr, Airtronics, Hitec, ect crystals work ? Channels 11 and 18 I guess are low band, so do i need a set in the low band, or would a high band work ?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Tim
Old 03-21-2004, 01:36 PM
mbba2002
Banned
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Crystal Confusion.....

you need only low band crystals. You only need to change the receiver with the same style (duel con.FUTABA , FM channel 11)matching the radio.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:46 PM
ooooo

It's CRYSTAL clear what you need... buy Futaba Rx crystal. Some ppl recommend generic crystals......don't even go there.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:54 PM
Phil Cole

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...11&FVPROFIL=++

is what you want
Old 05-06-2004, 08:09 AM
rcwarbirdman
My Feedback: (49)

I'm trying to locate Tim Granish. At the beginning of the year I sent him 2 kits to build for me. This was when he was living in Abilene, TX. Everything was going fine with good communication and even pictures of my 2 kits. But at the beginning of March he moved to Lumberton, TX and his original email address [email protected] is being ignored by him. I have sent him several emails at this address but nothing. I have now found this email address [email protected] and I'm wondering if anyone has his new living address. I want to try and contact him, even though I sent him some snail mail to his Abilene address knowing that it would be forwarded. This has been going on for 2 months now, and I'm getting very tired of trying to locate him. I want my planes, but I'm prepared to sue, so your help will be welcomed. I don't want the same thing to happen to other modelers!

Regards, Dean.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:28 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally speaking crystals are not interchangeable between brands. That said there are caveats as such. The problem lies within the original specification crystal; if memory serves me it’s the oscillator spec that’s of primary importance.

Hitec and Futaba crystals are interchangeable and it’s acknowledged by those in the service industry. The OEM specification for either makes them compatible. I have many aircraft flying for many years with inter mixed back and fourth with Hitec and Futaba crystals...

Whatever you decide perform a thorough range check, then again with engine running at partial throttle. If there is disparaging difference in range with the engine running look for a problem.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:49 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Ummmm... I was informed that Hitech RX's use a different oscillator multiplier than Futaba. That would make it so the Futaba and Hitech crystals are NOT compatible at all!

Better check with Mike (Hitech Tech support rep.) in the Hitech forum... that's where I heard it.

For safety... I would NEVER recommend anyone to EVER put one makers crystal in another makers RX (or TX if it were legal to change them in the US...) It is not worth the risk.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_66...r/tm.htm#66249

There was a better explaination by him as to why they MIGHT appear to work (and might pass a range check! even though the RX is detuned!) on RCShowroom's Hitech support forum. Unfortunately... that post is lost in space.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:10 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hubb

Like I said, above "Generally speaking crystals are not interchangeable between brands."

Mike may not know that it works, do you think Hitec buys Futaba crystals to experiment with, NOT!!! If you were a manufacturer what would you suggest??? Do you really think Mike suggested the multipliers were different? He simply supplied a generic cover all answer like I would expect him to do; essentially it mimicked my comments above...

I know it works I've watched a $10,000 Radio Service Monitor and a plethora of other equipment show me that it works. That and I've been flying my $9,000.00 GS Aerobat models around for years with Futaba 9-channel PCM RX's and Hitec crystals and vise versa. Wonder over to your local published, accredited and recognized RC Guru Licensed Radio Tech patriarch. With 40 plus years in the industry that KNOWS his stuff, and find out what he thinks...