Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Which radio and servos?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 08:35 PM
Cajun_Dave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which radio and servos?

Being new to this hobby and not knowing a whole lot, I haven't a clue about the radio and servos. I have decided on a Sig LT-40 with an OS 46 FX engine, but all that still leaves the radio and servos. What would ya'll suggest? Does it really make a difference what kind? Am I correct in saying that I will need a 4 channel radio? I want something that won't go out of range to easily, but I dunno if that is very important for a first aircraft. And what about the servos? Do they really matter a whole heck of a lot? I know I want something with a good reaction time, but does a fraction of a mili-second really matter all that much as far as a first aircraft? Help please! I can't tell the difference between all the ones I have looked at.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:09 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you buy a radio it comes with servos, unless you are buying one of the top end units like a JR 10x that goes for lots of money. You won't need to worry about it getting out of range, its range will be father then you can see the plane in flight. Yes you will need atleast 4 channels for that plane. As for what radio to recomend, you will get as many saying this radio or that one as there are people out there. I would say to find a fined and see what they are flying. If the people at the field are flying Futaba and you show up with JR or Airtronics you will not be able to use a buddy cord.

I do not think you would notice the differance between a servo that had a transite time of .25 and a servo that was rated at .12 seconds. The standard servos will be just fine in your trainer.

I like the radios from Airtronics. The RD6000 is a really good radio. It is more then you think you will need right now. After your second or third plane you will find that a 6 channel radio was worth the little bit extra over a 4 channel one. It comes in a sport and a super versions so you can pick what you want.

With radio the sky is the limit. You can spend more on the radio gear as you do one a couple of planes.

When you have more questions just post them here. There are lots of good people on this board that like to help.

Dru.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:08 AM
tabb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Cajun Dave,
Blvd Buzzard is right on with radios. Find out what the club in your area is using , for the simple fact that anytime you have any questions and your the odd ball like me (I have Jr all club members have futaba ) the fellows at the club will probably have to read the book to try and answer a simple question, where as if you have the same TX as everyone else things intermingle a little better like buddy cords, Chargers, expanded scale voltmeter plugs ( Jr has a - polarity to Futaba) and finally Knowledge on how to run it. Now with a 4 channel TX it probably won't be a big deal on the knowledge part as they are fairly simple , but when it comes to computer radios it may get a bit tricky. Pretty much all the radios are comparable in quality, so brand is not a big factor. It just makes life a little easier. The only thing that I could recommend is. If you are going to buy the radio package separetly not as a combo with the plane as I did . Go with a 6 channel radio instead of a 4. The difference in price is not that much for instance a 4 channel JR Quattro with 4 servos from Horizon Hobby sells for 149.99 and a 6 channel XF631 computer radio with 4 ball bearing servos sell for 199.99. Even though the four channel will give you probably years of good service. The aforementioned six channel will allow you to expand when you are ready, not to mention the 4 channel can only control a plane with the standard features rudder , ailerons, elevator , throttle, . The six channel allows a few more options like flaps ,3 model memory etc. I wish I would have went with the 6 channel because now I will have to purchase another radio at 200 bucks instead of the initial extra 50. Well that is my .02 Good luck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2003, 10:47 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tabb gave you some good advice, check out the club where you will be flying and choose what is most popular there. All the major brands Futaba, Hitec, Airtronics and JR make very good systems now. All feel slightly different in your hads though, so you might want to try holding what you think will be your choice, another reason for checking out the local club, most members will be glad to demonstrate their favorite to you.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:29 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

All good advice. My two cents from a teachers standpoint. I own Futaba and JR and like some of each good or bad on each. The thing I hate is some of the Futabas have a button for the buddy switch and not a lever.
This is a major pain in the ass. Plus it takes longer to get the thumb back on the stick.
Also if your going to be flying with a club see what channels are in use and buy one nobody has. You can request a certain channel when mail ordering or at a hobby shop. later daveo