RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo strength

Old 04-02-2004, 12:24 AM
BillM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Servo strength

I recently read a review of a hotliner in a magazine in which the author used a GWS pico servo in the elevator position. Seems a bit on the weak side for this application but I've been wrong before. I'm in the process of fitting out a hotliner and I would like some opinions from the readers. Thanks
BM.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:09 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Servo strength

I was curious because I've never heard of a hotliner before so I did a "Google".
Is this it? http://www.hobby-lobby.com/liftoff.htm
Hobby Lobby seems to recommend HS-85 and (2) HS-55 for the elevators.
HS-85 = 49 in-oz @ .14 --- GWS Pico = 10 in-oz @ .12
One's five time stronger than the other. I know what I'd pick.

John
Old 04-02-2004, 01:32 PM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

85 is also quite heavy...
Old 04-02-2004, 02:43 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't have an educated opinion on this. Just wanted to know if this was the aircraft the post was about. I was just relating what Hobby Lobby recommended.

John
Old 04-02-2004, 04:03 PM
Montague

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've not seen that plane in person.

However, looking over the specs and comparing them to what I fly, and the servos mentioned, the GWS pico (I have two in a park flyer), and the HS-85 (I have a pile of them, scattered among various combat planes), I'd say the GWS pico is a bit small for the elvator for that plane. (though I have to admit, I haven't broken my GWS servos yet, so I can't say just how much it can take before failure. I have stripped HS-85 nylon gears a few times, so I have a pretty good feel on that one).

However, if you flew it like a glider and don't do anything highspeed or wild with it, I think the GWS servo might handle it, but I wouldn't do it. But if you did a vertical dive like the ad in the link says, I suspect you'd be stalling the elevator servo or darn close, if you didn't strip the gears or break the output horn.

I wonder if the review author confused the GWS pico with the GWS naro or the new GWS servo (forget the name) that just came out that is almost a drop-in replacement for the HS-85, but costs a fair bit less. A lot of combat guys are trying this new GWS servo, and it's getting good reviews.

The important parts to figuring out how big a servo you need is the airspeed and control surface dimensions. This would give a good idea of the forces on the servo. Since those numbers aren't available, I'm guessing.