Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Is a 72 oz. torque CORELESS Servo stronger then a 99 oz torque standard servo?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Is a 72 oz. torque CORELESS Servo stronger then a 99 oz torque standard servo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 12:25 AM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is a 72 oz. torque CORELESS Servo stronger then a 99 oz torque standard servo?

Yea....sounds like a trick question doesn't it? Reminds me of that question: Is a pound and a quarter of lead heavier than a pound and a half of feathers?

Seriously though.... Could you guys tell me why I should buy a Corless Futaba 9202 servo for $55 bucks when I could get 99 ounces of torque in the regular, non coreless Futaba 3305 servo for $34.99 (The speed is the same in both) They say coreless is "stronger", but 72 ounces of torque is 72 ounces of torque, and 99 ounces of torque is 99 ounces of torque, coreless or not. Perhaps there are other very worthy attributes about the corelss servo VS the non coreless that you can advise me about.

I'm putting the 5 servos in the control surfaces of a 16 1/2 lb., 85" Big Bingo. I would hope quality of the non-coreless Futaba servos is satisfactory enough for this purpose.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:10 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is a 72 oz. torque CORELESS Servo stronger then a 99 oz torque standard servo?

Being coreless, there is no armature to accelerate so acceleration is quicker. So actual speed is the same, but it gets to that speed faster.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:32 AM
3D Joy

Default RE: Is a 72 oz. torque CORELESS Servo stronger then a 99 oz torque standard servo?

You should be OK with the non-coreless. It is stronger, as fast and cheaper. The biggest advantage of coreless IMHO is that it has more precision, which is not really needed in a big bingo. I would say precision is needed for 3D planes on elevators where the low rate setting is in the neighborhood of 20% to 30% of the high rate setting. With 20% of total available travel and resolution, one must find a way to fly an aircraft with a minimum of precision so there is a need for the best resolution available.

That said, the big bingo is not a 3D plane or a jet, you should be fine with cored servos.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:51 PM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3D fanatic; OK, now I want a unanamous consensus....

Then would you agree with 3D JOY that for my purposes and the plane I'm using, the cheaper 99 ounce/torque standard cored servos are good enough. Actually, I only mentioned the 3305 Futaba's just to make a point about them being stronger and cheaper than the Futaba 9202 coreless servos ....

What I'm really planning on doing is to be using only one 99 ounce of torqe cored Futaba 3305 on the rudder, and four Futaba cored 3010 servos on the ailerons and split elevator halves. These 3010 servos have the 72 ounces of torque. The 3010 cored servos have almost the same torque as the Coreles 9202's which have 76 ounces, but at $20 each cheaper x 4= $80 savings. The cheaper 3010 servos are actually a good bit faster too! Coreless 9202's @ .26 secs VS cored 3010 servos @ .20 secs.

3 JOY,
Hopefully you still feel that cored 72 ounce servos ( and not the cored 99 ounce servos) are good enough for my purposes?
Old 04-04-2004, 12:49 PM
Lynx

3DFanatic, RC servo speeds are rated from a complete stop to a complete deflection, coreless or not if they have the same speed rating they get there at the same time. If the cored has more torque and the same speed use it. A coreless may have slightly more low end torque because it doesn't have to accelerate the armature but you'd be hard press to call it a real advantage
Old 04-05-2004, 01:08 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

Ah, you're right about the speed thing. My brain was only half on..

I'd use the cored torquier ones.